Next Year's QB

keep trying to make sense of why Rudock didn't get at least a few snaps in. and this makes at least a little sense.

Compare and contrast Kirk Ferentz's unwillingness to pull, even briefly, an underperforming QB with Fran's practice of benching starters within minutes if they're not doing what he wants.

As I understand it Rudock is in pre-med and wants to go to med school. Iowa is a good place for that so - I don't see him desperately looking around to see where he can start.

It has to be hard to compete when pre-med requires so much time. He probably has organic chemistry, biology and anatomy to memorize with required lab time and lab reports due every week. To be the best QB he'd have to pull it off in a fraction of time the other guys have.

It has to be hard to compete when pre-med requires so much time. He probably has organic chemistry, biology and anatomy to memorize with required lab time and lab reports due every week. To be the best QB he'd have to pull it off in a fraction of time the other guys have.

I don't know how these D1 athletes do it; especially in more demanding majors. My daughter does D3 swimming and that's bad enough. At least they have an off season.

I just hope Kirk doesn't get a man crush on one of them so their job will be guaranteed no matter what.

As I understand it Rudock is in pre-med and wants to go to med school. Iowa is a good place for that so - I don't see him desperately looking around to see where he can start.

This is what I remember as well, one of the major reasons he chose Iowa was because of medical school as well as they run a pro-style offense (as opposed to a dual-threat/spread style).

If he transfers it will be to somewhere that runs a traditional style offense and also has a medical school.

I don't think people remember how much his dad pushed the whole med school issue when he was being recruited and after he committed.

I should put this in my signature.

Whoever the starting QB is in 2013 will have ZERO snaps at the D1 level.

This article from the gazette when CJB committed to Iowa said he left Ole Miss because they were switching from a pro-style offense to a spread when Houston Nutt was fired. Like Iowa because of the pro-style offense. Do we still consider our offense a pro-style offense? I guess I wouldn't call it a spread, so I think we are ok here.:)

Tennessee QB dumps Ole’ Miss for the Hawkeyes | TheGazette

I think Iowa runs a pro-style offense, they are run first and they want their QB to be a pocket passer. It would just be nice to have an OC who can teach his QB how to read defenses, put up pre-snap blitzes and run if the pocket clapses and no one is open down field.

I don't like the Michigan offense with Dennard and all those designed runs all the time but a run to get a 1st down once in a while does amazing things to boost an offense.

I think Iowa runs a pro-style offense, they are run first and they want their QB to be a pocket passer. It would just be nice to have an OC who can teach his QB how to read defenses, put up pre-snap blitzes and run if the pocket clapses and no one is open down field.

I don't like the Michigan offense with Dennard and all those designed runs all the time but a run to get a 1st down once in a while does amazing things to boost an offense.

I like those offenses with the right guy at the controls. There are a few exceptions (I can't help but marvel at the things RGIII can do), but if you put a Vince Young/Cam Newton type player in there, the offense is unstoppable. Guys that size hold up MUCH better than guys like Denard.

I like those offenses with the right guy at the controls. There are a few exceptions (I can't help but marvel at the things RGIII can do), but if you put a Vince Young/Cam Newton type player in there, the offense is unstoppable. Guys that size hold up MUCH better than guys like Denard.

You know, if RGIII never got hurt he might have not been such an out of nowhere kind of guy. Denard is good at those designed run plays but a horrible passer. From what I have read Denard is going to have to learn WR to play in the NFL. But back to what you said, if Iowa could get a guy like Vince or Cam and KF would be comfortable with them at the helm it would be a good thing for Iowa. Not saying Iowa can't win with a pocket passer but they at least need someone who can run instead of taking sacks when they misread the defense or pre-snap blitz.

wait, so if iowa could get 2 of the greatest college football players of all time we would have a chance to win on the big stage? weird

I don't understand why the majority of posters seem to have eliminated Jake Rudock as a starter in 2013. He certainly had the credentials coming out of Florida. Everyone was going crazy waiting for him to get on campus. We all went into hysterics when Miami started recruiting him late and wanted him to drop his commitment to Iowa. He set all kinds of records in high school in arguably the best football state in the country. I have no inside information on JR. I have no preference as to who starts in 2013. I don't care if we play two QB's in 2013 if that is what it takes. I am just very curious about why JR is not getting any love on this board. Help?

Latest posts