Next Year's QB

MeatMan

Sokol, Rudock, or Beathard. Who do you pick? And does anyone have any real info on them? Seen them in practice?

I'd think it comes down to who is the most accurate, since throwing the ball downfield isn't really a priority anymore. I'd also think that Sokol has to be the favorite if only because he has some actual experience. Though that might not mean much.

Whichever one is actually a true fit for whatever it is they think they're trying to do on offense.

As you say, it's tough to know with most having little to no real info on the game-speed makeup of their skill sets, but the square peg/round hole stuff got old a while ago.

Good memory, think Beutjer started 3 or 4 games that year? I wonder if/when the last freshman got the majority of starts at QB?

A quick check of Iowa's 2000 stats shows that Kyle McCann led the team with 79 pass attempts; Beutjer had 77; and Scott Mullen had 74. I'm not sure who started which games, but they're numbers were pretty even. The last freshman QB to have a large majority of Iowa's pass attempts was Kyle McCann in 1998. he had more than twice as many pass attempts as anyone else on the team. Again, I'm not sure about actual starts, but he dominated the playing time that year.

I like what I saw of Rudock when he was a senior in high school but I don't know if he is the best fit for the GD offense. He is a smart good with a great arm, but as we learned last year that isn't enough to be productive in this offense. I think whoever it is needs to have an edge and not be afraid to put the ball into tight spaces.

I miss Jon Beutjer on the basketball floor. I think whoever is at qb we will be way better offensivly than last year

Sokol, Rudock, or Beathard. Who do you pick? And does anyone have any real info on them? Seen them in practice?

I'd think it comes down to who is the most accurate, since throwing the ball downfield isn't really a priority anymore. I'd also think that Sokol has to be the favorite if only because he has some actual experience. Though that might not mean much.

I think it's the guy who can best exploit what the opposing D is doing. I know that is broad but I've gathered that the passing game is INTENDED to be somewhat extemperaneous - spontaneous. I've heard the expression "back yard football" from time to time. Seems this requires some smarts and vison - an intangible. So who knows?

Same player told my guy that he was surprised Rudock hasn't transferred yet. Thought he was going to ever since December.

As I understand it Rudock is in pre-med and wants to go to med school. Iowa is a good place for that so - I don't see him desperately looking around to see where he can start.

QB success at Iowa is more a function of the offensive line than other places imo. Not to say Iowa will be a pocket passing team given the present scheme, but it seems to me that's when we are at our best.

Latest posts