Next Year's QB

I think we need one of our WR to step up and be a playmaker, as well. In addition, the guys in charge need to center this offense around the running game and getting CJF down the middle of the field much, much more effectively than they did last season.

Yes, I agree. Iowa needs a WR to step up and be an actual playmaker. DJK was kind of there, but McNutt was the great. Iowa needs that go-to guy that can make plays out of nothing.

probably not. But it's also a fair guess that KF/GD/staff wasn't ready to risk using a QB who spent his first year learning the KOK Way, then assume he would be quick to pick up on 3-Yards-And-A-Cloud-Of-Boos for a passing game.

I see what you are saying. But this is why I think Vandy will struggle in the NFL draft because he couldn't hit players in stride on a horizontal pass or a 1-3 yard route. That is a big play in the NFL with screens and dump passes but Vandy can't do it. Hopefully who ever steps up, can and will do it successfully.

Yes, I agree. Iowa needs a WR to step up and be an actual playmaker. DJK was kind of there, but McNutt was the great. Iowa needs that go-to guy that can make plays out of nothing.

Id be fine with a guy who doesn't drop the ball.

This is how I felt after the season had just ended. Especially after all this talk about how is good at playing to his players abilities.

Right now, I am hoping that it was just the new system and everyone getting comfortable. Now that GD might have his WR coach he wanted, maybe things will turn around.

Probably not, but who knows.

It would certainly be a welcome surprise!

Last edited:
I see what you are saying. But this is why I think Vandy will struggle in the NFL draft because he couldn't hit players in stride on a horizontal pass or a 1-3 yard route. That is a big play in the NFL with screens and dump passes but Vandy can't do it. Hopefully who ever steps up, can and will do it successfully.

No struggle about it. He won't GET drafted. The question is whether AFL/2 or CFL is possible to hone his skills.

Personally, I don't think he was as "bad" as many thought, but he certainly wasn't anywhere close to what we were anticipating. The OSU game aside, he was touted by some as The Next Big Thing.

No struggle about it. He won't GET drafted. The question is whether AFL/2 or CFL is possible to hone his skills.

Personally, I don't think he was as "bad" as many thought, but he certainly wasn't anywhere close to what we were anticipating. The OSU game aside, he was touted by some as The Next Big Thing.

Bob, I agree, I don't see how he could have the stats that he had in '11 and then turn around and just be the worst QB in FBS. Not like I think he is a great QB and that he should get drafted. I mean look back at how many passes needed touch or too far behind a player and they had to make any amazing catch or stop and turn back around to get it.

He was a good QB for KOK but not for GD.

All have made great points in this discussion - but I can't help but think back to the 2008 season and the ensuing QB "battle" and the farce that it was.

I don't mean to be such a pessimist, but in light of what happened during the 2012 season, where a promising QB's junior year stats (3000 yds, 25 TDs and 7 Ints) became an atrocious 2000 yds passing, 7 TDs and 8 Ints, leads me to believe that either the "new offensive regime" is not good at developing QBs to fit "the horizontal offensive system" or, and here is the elephant in the room, the new offensive system is in the aggregate - simply crap.

Fast forward to fall 2013, and I predict another excruciatingly painful series of press conferences bemoaning that no QB has set himself apart from the others and that we will be playing multiple QBs a la 2008. Of course, we will all get a refresher course in pre-snap penalties, dropped center QB exchanges, and a myriad of other painful mistakes and confusion. Knowing all the while by the end of 2008, that only a fool would keep trying to delay Stanzi's taking the job.

The bottom line is that in light of this current regimes ability to utterly destroy JVB's senior season, what possible reason for optimism is there when you contemplate what this staff will be able to accomplish with a group of QBs with no in game experience, no starting experience, and finally no experience even practicing with the first team offense.

I would love to be optimistic about the upcoming season, but past practice by the coaching staff and current offensive (horizontal philosophies) adhered to no matter how badly the game is going, leave me with a really bad sense of doom and gloom. Nothing against the kids vying for the job, as I am sure they will all do their very best, but I fear the system is so stacked against individual success so as to make any realistic chance of a QB emerging almost nil.

No matter who the starting QB is, he will be the one to give us the best chance to win, regardless of how long and hard he sucks

This is how I felt after the season had just ended. Especially after all this talk about how is good at playing to his players abilities.

Right now, I am hoping that it was just the new system and everyone getting comfortable. Now that GD might have his WR coach he wanted, maybe things will turn around.

Probably not, but who knows.
I do think it's really tough to tell, though. Does Davis really have that much pull when it comes to the Offense? I'd tend to think not, but who knows.

KF gives his coaches a lot of rope, I do think he hangs on to some say about starting QBs. But the position coaches decide who goes into the game regaurdless of the depth chart

With the Hawks not playing today, I decided to go back and read some thoughts from almost two years ago. Interesting..

Latest posts