new mexico

Who would have ever thought an alf coached team would lose to a team they were heavy favorites to beat?

So which one of those four teams won't get in if a school other than those four wins the MWC tournament?

There will be a way to screw a team and if I had to say who, it would be CSU, not that it means much of anything, but I don't remember hearing anything about them this season.

There will be a way to screw a team and if I had to say who, it would be CSU, not that it means much of anything, but I don't remember hearing anything about them this season.

So we have countless posts about Iowa, with a 125 RPI, making the tournament as an at large and yet because I think it's possible that Wyoming with an RPI of 83 and Colorado St, with an RPI of 24, make the tournament, I must be the one who is drunk? Is that what you're saying? LOL We have such myopic posters on this site.

So we have countless posts about Iowa, with a 125 RPI, making the tournament as an at large and yet because I think it's possible that Wyoming with an RPI of 83 and Colorado St, with an RPI of 24, make the tournament, I must be the one who is drunk? Is that what you're saying? LOL We have such myopic posters on this site.

To talk about Iowa with an RPI of 125 being a possible at-large team has always been with the caveat that they have to essentially win out and some games in BTT. Honestly, there shouldn't be a discussion here for Iowa...yet. I have not gotten caught up in the NCAA talk because there should be none at this point, Iowa is in no position to make any case for the NCAA tourney...win out and see what the RPI falls at after that and maybe we will see.

One would think that with Butler/VCU/George Mason making the runs they have would make people start chaning their thinking, but it doesn't seem that way. Those teams can lose just as easily as the 8th place BIG team or 11th place Big East team, but to me they have better chances at going farther than those teams because they are a team, not dominted by one player as many of the lower level power conference teams are.

On the flip side with mid-majors, there have been multiple teams from the MVC and others that have not made the tourney despite a high RPI because they scheduled good mid-major opponents. There should be more mid-majors get in, but with history not being on their side and someone other than the top 4 in their conference winning, CSU is out.

Last edited:
RPI is one factor, not the only factor. If we win out the regular season our RPM will be in the top 70. We will also have 4, maybe 5 , wins against top 25 opponents. We will have also ended the regular season on fire. We have 2 poor losses and 6 or 7 quality wins.

Because RPI isn't everything.
Mid-major schools get snubbed every year, several of them. Usually there are 4 to 5 mid-majors with RPIs under 60 that don't make the dance. Why? Because RPI isn't everything. It's also who you've beaten, when you beat them, and the L10 games.

The Moutain West is the 6th or 7th best conference in the land, that will affect how many teams get in. This is why I think 5 isn't going to happen. And it's why some Power 6 schools get in with higher RPIs.

Because RPI isn't everything.
Mid-major schools get snubbed every year, several of them. Usually there are 4 to 5 mid-majors with RPIs under 60 that don't make the dance. Why? Because RPI isn't everything. It's also who you've beaten, when you beat them, and the L10 games.

The Moutain West is the 6th or 7th best conference in the land, that will affect how many teams get in. This is why I think 5 isn't going to happen. And it's why some Power 6 schools get in with higher RPIs.

How many mid major schools with RPI's under 25 normally miss the dance, Spank?

Because if another school wins the conference tournament you're not talking about leaving out a top 60 RPI team, you're talking about leaving out a top 30 RPI team in a year with one of the weakest bubbles ever.

How many mid major schools with RPI's under 25 normally miss the dance, Spank?

Because if another school wins the conference tournament you're not talking about leaving out a top 60 RPI team, you're talking about leaving out a top 30 RPI team in a year with one of the weakest bubbles ever.
It happens, Drexel was a sub-20 RPI team a few years ago and didn't dance.
Last year St Marys was snubbed and they were in the 30s.

It happens a lot. Esp teams in mid-majors that are 50+ RPI. Because even though they have wins and some of the teams they played have wins over quality opponents (artificially raising their RPI), they don't have the resume to get in.

Iowa is on pace to have a very tourney-bound resume, but their non-conf W/L, non-conf SOS is killing them right now. But again, it's better to be good late in the season than early. Just might be too little too late for Iowa.

The tourney loves "big/good wins". It shows the team can play with anyone, something that makes March Madness the best event in the sporting world.

It happens, Drexel was a sub-20 RPI team a few years ago and didn't dance.
Last year St Marys was snubbed and they were in the 30s.

It happens a lot. Esp teams in mid-majors that are 50+ RPI. Because even though they have wins and some of the teams they played have wins over quality opponents (artificially raising their RPI), they don't have the resume to get in.

Iowa is on pace to have a very tourney-bound resume, but their non-conf W/L, non-conf SOS is killing them right now. But again, it's better to be good late in the season than early. Just might be too little too late for Iowa.

The Mountain West is much closer to a BCS conference than it is to the Colonial or WCC.

I think you're wrong on Drexel, I don't think a top 20 team RPI team has ever missed the tournament. Got a link to that?

The Mountain West is much closer to a BCS conference than it is to the Colonial or WCC.

I think you're wrong on Drexel, I don't think a top 20 team RPI team has ever missed the tournament. Got a link to that?
I'll try to find one, I was just going off memory.

I stand corrected on Drexel, bad call by me.
The only ones I could find on limited research were Dayton back in 2010, 35 RPI, 26 KenPom. And the St Marys I mentioned that was a Top 30 RPI.

I see CSU at 26 on WarrenNolan and 54 on realtimerpi.com fwiw

Latest posts