new mexico

Sometimes I think people forget how much better the program was under Alford. Saying he can only coach/is only suited at a mid-major level is laughable.

However, saying he can't win in the NCAA tourny with a major conference is also laughable.

Meanwhile, Assistant coach Todd Lickliter's Miami Red Hawks are 8-16 this season. If you want to call coach Lickliter, the MU website has all of the assistant's office numbers published on their website.

Yes, it is his real number, and yes, I did call it.

You can just send Todd an email too:
Send E-mail

But he's a very good coach and will have 500 career wins at age 50. Not many 50 year old coaches have done that.

He will also have more than 250 career losses by then. Not many 50 year old coaches have done that either. His large number of wins has more to do with getting too early a start as a head coach and still notching some wins every year than being a very good coach. Alf would be a much better coach if he had gone through the normal assistant coach apprenticeship. He skipped that and it took him a long time to learn what it takes to be a successful head coach.

He will also have more than 250 career losses by then. Not many 50 year old coaches have done that either. His large number of Losses has more to do with getting too early a start as a head coach and still notching some losses every year than being a very poor coach. Alf would be a much better coach if he had gone through the normal assistant coach apprenticeship. He skipped that and it took him a long time to learn what it takes to be a successful head coach.

FIFY

Also, Cy Young holds the record for the most losses of any MLB pitcher. That dude must have not been very good at his job.

You fixed nothing and my point stands. The fact that Alf will have 500 wins as such a relatively young age has as much to do with his almost unheard of early start as it does his coaching ability (or should I say Noodles coaching ability, because he is the man behind the curtain while Alf is the all powerful Oz).

You fixed nothing and my point stands. The fact that Alf will have 500 wins as such a relatively young age has as much to do with his almost unheard of early start as it does his coaching ability (or should I say Noodles coaching ability, because he is the man behind the curtain while Alf is the all powerful Oz).

Maybe Steve will have five NCAA wins by then, too.

Petty, bitter, sour grapes……

Bitter I could agree with. Petty? Not really. Sour grapes? You aren't even using that right. The fox in the fable said the grapes would have been sour, only after he found he could not have them. We had Alf. Most didn't want him any longer.

Sour grapes are a dime a dozen.....

Sour-Grapes-Central.jpg

I am just glad Alford is gone, he was ready to go, wanted the Indiana position, left the cupboard extremely bare, as has been mentioned, and also left us after coaching his worst game ever at Iowa, leaving Hawk fans forever moaning and groaning over the NW Louisiana State loss.....

I don't really care if he wins a tournament game or not. Couldn't care less about the man in the black suit and immaculate hair.....

He does have four NCAA tournament wins, and might not get his fifth for a while, if ever. Of course, upsets do happen at the Dance.....

:D

:)

Sour grapes are a dime a dozen.....

Sour-Grapes-Central.jpg

I am just glad Alford is gone, he was ready to go, wanted the Indiana position, left the cupboard extremely bare, as has been mentioned, and also left us after coaching his worst game ever at Iowa, leaving Hawk fans forever moaning and groaning over the NW Louisiana State loss.....

I don't really care if he wins a tournament game or not. Couldn't care less about the man in the black suit and immaculate hair.....

He does have four NCAA tournament wins, and might not get his fifth for a while, if ever. Of course, upsets do happen at the Dance.....

:)

You realize Alford coached a whole other year after the NW State game, right?

You realize Alford coached a whole other year after the NW State game, right?
Trying to forget about that forgettable year.....

Thanks for the reminder.....

In my opinion his worst coaching at Iowa was the NW Louisiana game.....

He was already gone in his mind the last year at Iowa, he couldn't have cared less.....

I would be willing to bet he does not have five ncaa tourney wins by the time he is 50

In a heartbeat I will take that bet.. How much and please Private Message me to arrange bet.. Alford currently has 4 wins now.. Let's get this bet done ASAP..

When you don't PM me I will understand. :)

Latest posts