new mexico

Trying to forget about that forgettable year.....

Thanks for the reminder.....

In my opinion his worst coaching at Iowa was the NW Louisiana game.....

He was already gone in his mind the last year at Iowa, he couldn't have cared less.....

:D

That last year was likely his best coaching year at Iowa as far as competing with not a lot of talent (though that team would have beat pretty much every Iowa team ever since.)

Wonder why that is.....

fr-old-mother-hubbard.jpg

:D

That last year was likely his best coaching year at Iowa as far as competing with not a lot of talent (though that team would have beat pretty much every Iowa team ever since.)

That's right. Alford's last year at Iowa (2006-2007) was the last time Iowa had a winning record in the Big Ten and an overall winning record. I hope the Hawks have an overall winning record this year. It will be tough, but I think they can do it by picking up a win in the BTT.

It's ridiculous to compare Alford and McDermott. ISU was terrible under McDermott. Iowa won two B10 titles with Alford and was 20-12 in the conference in his final two years.

Iowa won two Big 10 titles? wow, I never realized that.

My favorite alf apologist creed is that the mark of a great coach is the ability to string together seven consecutive winning seasons. I think the national champion each year should be which ever coach has the longest string of winning seasons.

My favorite alf apologist creed is that the mark of a great coach is the ability to string together seven consecutive winning seasons. I think the national champion each year should be which ever coach has the longest string of winning seasons.

I'm not sure Alford would have made the field of 64 with seven.

LOL. Yeah love the a BT bball tourney title is the same as a regular season title argument.

No they aren't the same at all. A regular season title doesn't guarantee you anything, the big10 tournament winner is the recognized conference champ and gets the auto bid to the ncaa tournament.

My favorite SA-hater argument:

''Winning seasons? We don't need no stinkin winning seasons...we are IOWA! We spit on winning bb seasons...after all, we are IOWA!!''

Just continue to luxuriate in these last 5 losing seasons since SA was run outta town, which are so much better than those 7 winning seasons...I mean, after all,we like losing at IOWA!

LOL. Yeah love the a BT bball tourney title is the same as a regular season title argument.
No they aren't the same at all. A regular season title doesn't guarantee you anything, the big10 tournament winner is the recognized conference champ and gets the auto bid to the ncaa tournament.

LOL, in a mid-major that might be the case, but in a BCS conference the regular season champ is getting a better seed over some middle of the conference team that strings together a few wins at the end of the year 99% of the time.

Bottom line: Alford is long gone, and he's happy where's he's at. Iowa fans are also happy where he's at. Everybody is happy.

I only wish that one day soon SA comes back to a school like Iowa and then and only then can he be judged. he was not able to get a good amount of his recruits onto campus at Iowa while at NM he can because the standards are lower. not to mention he isn't playing in the toughest conference in the country and I will bet that when Noodles leaves his side his teams will slip because Noodles might as well be the HC!!

alford wins because he has an assistant that does the coaching for him. just like at iowa.
This comment which is popular by Iowa fans was always funny to me. Hilarious.

look at neal's pedigree he is very good. he was even asked to interview for the head job and declined (from people ive talked to). orr was the same at isu with an assistant that did most of the coaching. he just didnt win at the percentage alford did. neal did 100% of the defensive coaching as i have heard from people that were around the program at the time.

My favorite SA-hater argument:

''Winning seasons? We don't need no stinkin winning seasons...we are IOWA! We spit on winning bb seasons...after all, we are IOWA!!''

Just continue to luxuriate in these last 5 losing seasons since SA was run outta town, which are so much better than those 7 winning seasons...I mean, after all,we like losing at IOWA!

What do you mean run out of town? You know darn well Alf left for a better job of his own accord. ;)

Latest posts