Nate Stanley Definitely Back in '19

The returning QB ....by nearly every measure is very very average ...and who has some real shortcomings,

Is head and shoulders above the guys on the bench.

- Its an Iowa thing.
Average QB who has wilted under the bright lights, producing an average season of results (KF season).

This isn't our first KF rodeo.

It is interesting reading the 'evaluations' of nate and players on HN. I had friends and other fans who were on different sides of the fence about CJs NFL prospects, his abilities and skills. Some people thought CJ had upside and others thought he didnt have the makings. I always pointed to CJs quick release, strong arm, ability to double clutch and throw a dart, above avg accuracy, and mobility as high for getting drafted and sticking with the NFL. I had no info about his QB IQ because you have to be right on the field and with the coaches to know that, CJ has already proved he can play in the NFL. Imagine if he had a really good pass blocking line at Iowa and at the 49ers. CJs long bomb to SMith in the Big Champ Game showed alot.

Now with Nate, he doesnt measure as high on mobility, accuracy, he has a strong arm, his release seems slower, dont know about the IQ for the same reason, and he doesnt seem to see the field and open receivers as well as other qbs. So those are items he needs to improve on and NFL QB coaches will try to work with him on these also. He might be third round next year with a modestly better Sr season at Iowa. I hope he busts out in '19.

9vpDtKB.gif
You're an idiot. 44 out of 17,000 eligible. maybe you can give us a percentile on this.

Last edited:
I am actually kind of shocked he didn't seek an evaluation from the NFL. What could possibly be the downside in seeking outside opinions on what your shortcomings are?

does not compute.
It makes perfect sense. He's already having confidence issues that is effecting his play. An NFL evaluation isn't likely to help him with that. They aren't going to tell you anything but the truth.

Stanley is who he is, there is no 'busting out' to be had. He will have a few strong games next year...will definitely lose us one or two, the rest middling.

It makes perfect sense. He's already having confidence issues that is effecting his play. An NFL evaluation isn't likely to help him with that. They aren't going to tell you anything but the truth.

It’s unfortunate if true. Seeking out and welcoming objective evaluation by experts provides greater context or validation of your performance and opportunities. This is the time when it happens from these experts in this field, regardless of your current state.

If I want to be better, I sure as sh!t want to know or confirm what is holding me back from being the best I can be or how to get where I want to be, not just assume I know.

It’s unfortunate if true. Seeking out and welcoming objective evaluation by experts provides greater context or validation of your performance and opportunities. This is the time when it happens from these experts in this field, regardless of your current state.

If I want to be better, I sure as sh!t want to know or confirm what is holding me back from being the best I can be or how to get where I want to be, not just assume I know.
Not everyone's mind works the same way. Sports is not something you can perfect. The one's that accomplish the most apply themselves towards the pursuit of perfection. But they don't get paralyzed with the need to BE perfect. If that makes sense? You have to have a short memory in the heat of competition. Some players handle this fine until they reach a certain level of pressure. Everyone has a point where the amount of pressure exceeds their ability to perform the same. I'm talking about the mental game.
If I give you a baseball and ask you to throw a strike at a batters box on the gym wall, you could do it. If I give you the ball and ask you to bet $1000 on your ability to throw a strike, you might be able to do it. If I ask you to bet $100,000 on the throw, you can't do it. What's changed? Not the ball, the distance or the size of the target. The pressure.
Now replace the bet of money with the size of the crowd. Throwing a strike with nobody in the gym vs throwing a strike with 70,000 people watching is another thing entirely. 70,000 people that might boo you if you can't throw that strike.

Not everyone's mind works the same way. Sports is not something you can perfect. The one's that accomplish the most apply themselves towards the pursuit of perfection. But they don't get paralyzed with the need to BE perfect. If that makes sense? You have to have a short memory in the heat of competition. Some players handle this fine until they reach a certain level of pressure. Everyone has a point where the amount of pressure exceeds their ability to perform the same. I'm talking about the mental game.
If I give you a baseball and ask you to throw a strike at a batters box on the gym wall, you could do it. If I give you the ball and ask you to bet $1000 on your ability to throw a strike, you might be able to do it. If I ask you to bet $100,000 on the throw, you can't do it. What's changed? Not the ball, the distance or the size of the target. The pressure.
Now replace the bet of money with the size of the crowd. Throwing a strike with nobody in the gym vs throwing a strike with 70,000 people watching is another thing entirely. 70,000 people that might boo you if you can't throw that strike.

You ever see the Texas A&M fans chant at the opposing pitcher. This can rattle even a good pitcher. :)

The best coaches will find ways to simulate game pressure in practices as much as possible. There are dozens of ways to do it which I don't have to explain to you because you coach more than I ever did. I had a drill in middle school where players shot free throws and had to choose another player to run gassers if they missed. There's some pressure. Pro golfers will tell you that the Ryder Cup is more pressure than regular tournament play because one's failures hurt more than themselves. They hurt the team as well.

Look around the B1G at the teams and coaches who have the best records in close games. I guarantee they're working on those situations every day in practice.

The best coaches will find ways to simulate game pressure in practices as much as possible. There are dozens of ways to do it which I don't have to explain to you because you coach more than I ever did. I had a drill in middle school where players shot free throws and had to choose another player to run gassers if they missed. There's some pressure. Pro golfers will tell you that the Ryder Cup is more pressure than regular tournament play because one's failures hurt more than themselves. They hurt the team as well.

Look around the B1G at the teams and coaches who have the best records in close games. I guarantee they're working on those situations every day in practice.
Of course they do and KF is no different. The problem is that when some players get something in their head, they can't let go of it. All of the coaching in the world can't drag it out of them. It's usually something the player has to solve themselves. Some solve it quicker than others. Some never solve it.
Remember Bull Durham? "million dollar arm and a five cent head".

But Josh Ogelsby hit those shots every day in practice!:)
And as a coach that doesn't make a million dollars a year, I would have kept running him out there to shoot in those games too. What do I have to lose?
Of course, if I knew Gutless Gary was my boss, I'd do whatever the hell I wanted with no fears of any kind. JO could play defense, though.

Of course they do and KF is no different. The problem is that when some players get something in their head, they can't let go of it. All of the coaching in the world can't drag it out of them. It's usually something the player has to solve themselves. Some solve it quicker than others. Some never solve it.
Remember Bull Durham? "million dollar arm and a five cent head".
Haven't seen that movie in a while but absolutely. The worst thing a quarterback or baseball pitcher can do is tense up and start aiming the ball. You have to cut it loose and trust your ability.