Nate Stanley Definitely Back in '19

He needs at least another year of work. He has a lot of potential. He is still to inconsistent. He makes some great plays and then there are the plays were you just gotta do the dog head tilt thing and go, huh?

Its still based on ability. Neither one of thrm had sny serious weaknesses other than lost in the shuffle. Nate isnt going to be magical.

He is under performing but yhat isn't on him.

No, they didn't "get lost in the shuffle". Neither did anything in college to warrant getting drafted higher. Neither had the measurables which are so important to NFL scouts and GMs. Brady is far from the best QB in Michigan football history in his two years as a starter. Ditto for Warner in his 1 year as a starter for UNI. They both were not thought of highly by those "who mattered" in the NFL. And they both assumed starting roles due to an injury of their team's starting QB and performed well above what they had ever done in their lives before.

I'm not saying Nate is going to be magical. He can confound us as fans; likely he does the same to the coaches. But I've seen many athletes who have that moment where the "switch flips on" and the get it. Maybe another one of those could be Nate.

Wasn't Brady 2000? The only reason I say that is because Iowa's Matt Bowen was famously drafted either one spot ahead of him or one spot behind him. I remember Brady at Michigan burning Bowen at Kinnick to Mercury Hayes or someone but don't remember what year that was. I think Bowen did play at least one year for Ferentz.

According to Wikipedia (usually correct) he was drafted in 2000. That means 1999 was his last season at Michigan.

Nate's too fat to ever amount to anything. That's not just one person's opinion. It's a fact stated by many/most over at CyFan.

Basically his biggest problem is timing. The ability to see it quickly and throw them open.
Over the middle crossing he is pretty good, but on the sides or even on the one over the middle when they are running directly away from him, he needs lot's of work with the wr's. Or "touch".
I think when he starts seeing that a little better, the game will really open up and slow down for him.
Some things that will help. Playing catch with the wr's in the off season. When on the sidelines, Either watching replays or talking to Copeland/ coaches and the wr's about what they are seeing out of the db's.

Basically his biggest problem is timing. The ability to see it quickly and throw them open.
Over the middle crossing he is pretty good, but on the sides or even on the one over the middle when they are running directly away from him, he needs lot's of work with the wr's. Or "touch".
I think when he starts seeing that a little better, the game will really open up and slow down for him.
Some things that will help. Playing catch with the wr's in the off season. When on the sidelines, Either watching replays or talking to Copeland/ coaches and the wr's about what they are seeing out of the db's.

...or watch film of Kurt Warner!!

What makes his lack of accuracy even more maddening is the fact that he sells play action so well. I watched the Purdue replay early this afternoon when I had a lull in x mas activities and even Brian Griese was mentioning it. Selling play action is also the forgotten part of the Penn State play where he overthrew TJ and missed the touchdown.

The next step in his development is obviously to slow down and improve accuracy on what should be simple throws. When he missed the first two point conversion attempt to Smith at Purdue, you could see the frustration in Brandon's body language. That was an easy throw once the Purdue DB overran the play and slipped. Stanley threw it hard, low and outside. Failed conversion attempt.

Latest posts