Music Thread

A live cut from same album ... good line from the song - 'Come on baby, tell your girlfriend three's a crowd'

This video actually won the 1984 "Best MTV video." (The first year the award was presented).

I'm re-listening to *all* my Cars stuff now.....it's like rediscovering the Eagles after AM radio quit playing them to death. Excellent.

R-1018597-1211982323.jpeg.jpg

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/doug-clifford-relationship-john-fogerty/

Good find on Cosmo's falling out with John. Too bad as it seems money/ego always gets in the way.
John was no saint and admitted how stubborn he could be, but that's a common trait of many band dictators. But for Cosmo to claim Stu and himself added a lot to those songs and were never credited for it, I don't know. Maybe a jam or occasional bass line but, we saw on Mardi Gras what happened when John gave them an opportunity to write their own songs.

John was no saint and admitted how stubborn he could be, but that's a common trait of many band dictators. But for Cosmo to claim Stu and himself added a lot to those songs and were never credited for it, I don't know. Maybe a jam or occasional bass line but, we saw on Mardi Gras what happened when John gave them an opportunity to write their own songs.
Mardi Gras was an unceremonious end to a pretty significant four year run for the original band.

They say cream rises to the top.....so does a turd in the toilet bowl.

Try this enhanced version on for size. Crank the bitch!!

One of my favorite songs by them ever. This one sounds a bit different than the original Candy-O spin. I held for years their original eponymous release was my favorite, but now I think Candy-O at least ties it.

Back to the Cars ... live version of an infamous song from an infamous scene in a movie. Two words - 'Hi Brad'. :)

For some reason, the song never made onto the movie soundtrack.
One of the few (I think) Cars tracks written in part by Hawkes.

One of my favorite songs by them ever. This one sounds a bit different than the original Candy-O spin. I held for years their original eponymous release was my favorite, but now I think Candy-O at least ties it.
Candy-O may be better than the eponymous. With maybe two exceptions at the most it's all killer no filler. "Since I Held You", "Double Life", "Nightspots", "A Lot On My Head" are all B side classics and make Candy-O possibly their deepest album.

For some reason, the song never made onto the movie soundtrack.
One of the few (I think) Cars tracks written in part by Hawkes.
How many actors/actresses had their breakthroughs in that movie. Judge Reinhold, Sean Penn, Forrest Whitaker, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Phoebe Cates, not to mention Cameron Crowe as a screenplay writer. Mr. Hand may have been the most beloved movie teacher of the decade until Ferris Bueller's Ben Stein came along. The Breakfast Club guy wasn't shabby, either.

Candy-O may be better than the eponymous. With maybe two exceptions at the most it's all killer no filler. "Since I Held You", "Double Life", "Nightspots", "A Lot On My Head" are all B side classics and make Candy-O possibly their deepest album.
I definitely agree Candy was a great follow up to Epony.

Remember at the time, AM radio played the top 40 hits to death and rarely (me included) did people truly listen to the deep fills and riffs....it wasn't emphasized. If it didn't play well on AM, it didn't get played.

Speaking of follow-up albums (not necessarily 2nd albums, but albums after a great one), some were rushed endeavors due to corporate demands for now now now.
Some that come to mind are:

BTO "Four Wheel Drive" after "Not Fragile" (to this day Bachman says they sold out and rushed half-done songs to print)
Aerosmith "Draw the Line" (too many drugs in the system for anything remotely mirroring Toys or Rocks).
Nirvana "In Utero" (difficult to match their original)
Boston "Third Stage" (was complete garbage)

There's probably more due to one's tastes....those are the ones I can remember.

Back to the Cars ... live version of an infamous song from an infamous scene in a movie. Two words - 'Hi Brad'. :)

I like how they transitioned into "Candy-0"....but the real tie-in will always be shoo be doo.

For the record, Orr presented a much better stage presence when he toned down the hair poof and went blond. ;)

I definitely agree Candy was a great follow up to Epony.

Remember at the time, AM radio played the top 40 hits to death and rarely (me included) did people truly listen to the deep fills and riffs....it wasn't emphasized. If it didn't play well on AM, it didn't get played.

Speaking of follow-up albums (not necessarily 2nd albums, but albums after a great one), some were rushed endeavors due to corporate demands for now now now.
Some that come to mind are:

BTO "Four Wheel Drive" after "Not Fragile" (to this day Bachman says they sold out and rushed half-done songs to print)
Aerosmith "Draw the Line" (too many drugs in the system for anything remotely mirroring Toys or Rocks).
Nirvana "In Utero" (difficult to match their original)
Boston "Third Stage" (was complete garbage)

There's probably more due to one's tastes....those are the ones I can remember.
Among others, Ratt followed up "Out of the Cellar" with ...ugh!

When Nirvana hired Steve Albini to produce In Utero, that kind of tipped their hand that they were reclaiming their punk audience, not catering to all the mainstream fans that latched on to Nevermind. Albini's 1980's band Big Black made some of the most abrasive industrial music ever heard.

I like how they transitioned into "Candy-0"....but the real tie-in shoo be doo.

For the record, Orr presented a much better stage presence when he toned down the hair poof and went blond. ;)
Orr would have been so proud to not only be inducted into the RRHOF, but to be inducted in his home town of Cleveland. Lost too soon. Cancer sucks.

Orr would have been so proud to not only be inducted into the RRHOF, but to be inducted in his home town of Cleveland. Lost too soon. Cancer sucks.
Cancer does suck, and as a healthcare professional, I can tell you pancreatic cancer is among the worst. If not the worst. It's hardly ever diagnosed early and when it is, it rarely goes into submission.

Patrick Swayze, Joan Crawford, Steve Jobs, Alan Rickman all succumbed to that deadly, aggressive and painful disease.

This video actually won the 1984 "Best MTV video." (The first year the award was presented).

I'm re-listening to *all* my Cars stuff now.....it's like rediscovering the Eagles after AM radio quit playing them to death. Excellent.

Anyone remember that awards show? Yikes!

Latest posts