Music Thread

Watching Jefferson Airplane devolve from "Somebody to Love" to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" is like watching a Hall of Fame baseball pitcher devolve into a washed up mop up reliever.

While I liked much of what Jefferson Starship did, when it became simply "Starship", the true leap-off-the-cliff was made. I actually liked a couple "Starship" songs but, by and large, yes, it was sad to see Grace Slick (figuratively) leave the board of Microsoft so she could go work the aisle at Best Buy.

Frankly, bad as "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" was beaten out on my crap-meter by "We Built This City". which I lovingly renamed, "We Built This Shitty?!"

disgust.jpg

^^So much This^^

Whatever Airplane/Starship/Starshit had left in the tank was emptied at Freedom at Point Zero. Two other good tracks off that album were "Lightning Rose" and "Out of Control"

A huge hit when Iowa Basketball was making their 1980 final four run. After that they should have mercifully called it a day, or at least got Marty Balin back. But...there were cheesy movie sountracks and cheesier hits and ballads to be made. In the "Sara" sweepstakes, Starship's version falls more than a few notches short of Fleetwood Mac or Hall and Oates.

Although I personally like Starship's "Sara", it was probably because ANYthing was preferrable to "We Built This Shitty?!"

How about a good one from Marty Balin (Solo). Great (bad) 80's video. :)

OMG! It's not the song, the song is fine.

It's that I had that exact same mullet in my mid to late 20's. It's like looking into a freaking mirror and cutting my age in half!

Especially when hits sits on the bed in his cell with a tank top playing his guitar.

Last edited:
I thought Jefferson's Red Octopus, Spitfire, and Earth were decent offerings. I still have them on CD.

While certainly not on the level as Jefferson Airplane sounds, that vinyl triad was definitely better than anything they put out after 1978.

OMG! It's not the song, the song is fine.

It's that I had that exact same mullet in my mid to late 20's. It's like looking into a freaking mirror and cutting my age in half!

Especially when hits sits on the bed in his cell with a tank top playing his guitar.
Pictures or I declare BS :p;)

The Great Society with Grace Slick. (1965-66)

Sally Go Round Roses

Often As I May

White Rabbit

Arbitration

Father Bruce

Last edited:
I thought Jefferson's Red Octopus, Spitfire, and Earth were decent offerings. I still have them on CD.

While certainly not on the level as Jefferson Airplane sounds, that vinyl triad was definitely better than anything they put out after 1978.

All three I believe featured Marty Balin, with Earth "Runaway" "Count On Me" being his last.

Mickey Thomas, who had nothing better to do at the time, greased their slide into mediocrity. Paul Kantner's near fatal anyuresum in the early eighties didn't help either.

All three I believe featured Marty Balin, with Earth "Runaway" "Count On Me" being his last.

Mickey Thomas, who had nothing better to do at the time, greased their slide into mediocrity. Paul Kantner's near fatal anyuresum in the early eighties didn't help either.
For sure Marty had major influence on those three albums.

JSS were trying to find themselves a bit....they didn't have the Vietnam War or the psychedelic crowd to play to anymore, so they went to quasi sh!t-kicker to more Eastern and mystic. I like the sound. Then they went to crap.

Last edited:
Regardless of their critical acclaim, Starships songs bring back fond memories. That's enough for me. Some were over played like Jane and Sarah.

A couple that i enjoyed

Jane and Sarah, I enjoyed that couple back in the day, too.

Oh, but you were talking about the songs....:):p

Last edited:
For sure Marty had major influence on those three albums.

JSS were trying to find themselves a bit....they didn't have the Vietnam War or the psychedelic crowd to play to anymore, so they went to quasi sh!t-kicker to more Eastern and mystic. I like the sound. Then they went to crap.
As legendary as CCR was, it was interesting how they began to fade from the charts about the same time the Vietnam War ended.

I can't think of an artist more intertwined with that war than John Fogerty.

Soldiers have told stories by the thousands of how his songs inspired them and kept them going.

Just one example, they would use "Bad Moon Rising" to get cranked up to go into battle.

As legendary as CCR was, it was interesting how they began to fade from the charts about the same time the Vietnam War ended.

I can't think of an artist more intertwined with that war than John Fogerty.

Soldiers have told stories by the thousands of how his songs inspired them and kept them going.

Just one example, they would use "Bad Moon Rising" to get cranked up to go into battle.
And what did John Fogerty sing about upon his 'return'......baseball of all things.

I guess the elixir of time heals all.

And what did John Fogerty sing about upon his 'return'......baseball of all things.

I guess the elixir of time heals all.
Even that song had a journeyman/underdog theme to it, like a player who never rose above Class AA.

Or a musician who never escaped the clubs and bars. All common well worn themes to John's work.

His own book is a fascinating read. How managers and record company suits ripped him off, turning his own (now deceased) brother against him. And how Stu and Cosmo backstabbed him.

Even that song had a journeyman/underdog theme to it, like a player who never rose above Class AA.

Or a musician who never escaped the clubs and bars. All common well worn themes to John's work.

His own book is a fascinating read. How managers and record company suits ripped him off, turning his own (now deceased) brother against him. And how Stu and Cosmo backstabbed him.
R-1018597-1211982323.jpeg.jpg

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/doug-clifford-relationship-john-fogerty/

Good find on Cosmo's falling out with John. Too bad as it seems money/ego always gets in the way.

Latest posts