Music Thread

disgust.jpg

Whatever Airplane/Starship/Starshit had left in the tank was emptied at Freedom at Point Zero. Two other good tracks off that album were "Lightning Rose" and "Out of Control"

A huge hit when Iowa Basketball was making their 1980 final four run. After that they should have mercifully called it a day, or at least got Marty Balin back. But...there were cheesy movie sountracks and cheesier hits and ballads to be made. In the "Sara" sweepstakes, Starship's version falls more than a few notches short of Fleetwood Mac or Hall and Oates.

Did you realize that a lot of Boston's synthesizer sounds were actually guitars? Tom Scholz would have to explain how he did it because I sure can't. He had a master's degree in mechanical engineering (from MIT no less) and famously worked his Boston duties around his inventions working for Kodak and his own Scholz Research and Development. Bands that did use synthesizers in the Cars' era would include Devo, Suicide, Rush, ELO, Yes, and Gary Numan, among others.

I find it funny That your frat brothers thought they were a British band. They came out of the same Boston scene that spawned Boston itself, and Billy Squier, Aerosmith and J Geils before them and Dinosaur Jr and the Pixies well after them.

Here's a couple of videos of Tom Scholz explaining how he makes music. Amazing ...

Regardless of their critical acclaim, Starships songs bring back fond memories. That's enough for me. Some were over played like Jane and Sarah.

A couple that i enjoyed

Latest posts