Music Thread

When being openly gay wasn't tolerated by society.
One of my favorite EJ tunes.
Yep. Love that one too. Odd, but I still remember watching an episode of "One Day at a Time" where they did a version of this at the end.

I could post so many more. "Funeral...," "Someone Saved...," "Don't Let the Sun...," etc.

512rRBXRtCL.jpg

Surprisingly (but then again not), this CD makes it on my top 5 "must have on a desert island" list.

I know, I know, at first blush, who would want to take bubblegum, right?

But this is different....*way* different. Edgier, bluesy, jazzy....they took their biggest hits and jazzed them up big time. I was bracing myself to be underwhelmed when I first played it but was 100% wrong.

It's really worth a listen. And more than once because there's so much going on in the music.

512rRBXRtCL.jpg

Surprisingly (but then again not), this CD makes it on my top 5 "must have on a desert island" list.

I know, I know, at first blush, who would want to take bubblegum, right?

But this is different....*way* different. Edgier, bluesy, jazzy....they took their biggest hits and jazzed them up big time. I was bracing myself to be underwhelmed when I first played it but was 100% wrong.

It's really worth a listen. And more than once because there's so much going on in the music.
I personally feel they are a very underappreciated band. I listen to them all the time.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This CD joins "Toys in the Attic" "Not Fragile" "Boston" and "Waiting for Columbus" on my desert island list. Tough list to crack!
I used to have the CD and it was stolen, along with about 30 others. You are correct, it is a great collection.

I don't have a "desert island" list of albums, per se, but I could put together a list of 20 songs or so.

LRB had some terrific stuff. I especially like this version of this song.
It would take at least twenty albums to compile my desert island list.

The last I heard that version of the song may have been 1982 or 1983.

The Love Rock, KFMD 93, was the rock station of my youth with a gentleman named Steve Sesterhenn as program director.

He was the first in the Dubuque Tri State Area to play:
Magic Man by Heart.
Just What I Needed by the Cars
More Than A Feeling by Boston
That version of Long Way There, which is my favorite version.
Countless obscurities and deep tracks to numerous to mention from the fertile late sixties/early seventies.

He even played The Vers on the radio. The Vers were a legendary bar band from Madison and Monroe Wisconsin who frequently played in Dubuque, Cedar Falls, and Iowa City. They made the Replacements look like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Some of you out there may have heard of them, or seen them. One of their songs, "New York's In Heat", would have held it's own with "My Sharona" on the radio. "Never Gonna Be That Old" would have fit in nicely on side two of the Cars debut. They disbanded around 1984 or so and unfortunately, the years haven't been kind to them. Their front man, diagnosed with bipolar disorder, had years of legal issues. Their second song mentioned was an omen. Only two of the original five are still with us. Give me a shout if you remember The Vers.

Last edited:
Nothing in this world such a pure delight
As a fais-do-do on a Saturday night
Work your tail off all week long
But forget about your troubles with a party and a song
Boy I love those old time tunes
They can tickle your senses like a Cajun moon
Creole food sure tastes fine
When you wash it on down with that homemade wine
Get out the fiddle rosin up the bow
There's gonna be some music and I hope it ain't slow
Grab your baby dance 'til three down at the Bayou Jubilee
Grab your baby dance 'til three down at the Bayou Jubilee
There's Pierre and his girl Laverne
Dancin' so hot you'd think their shoes were burning
Grandma's in the corner shakin' it too
She's got her own version of a Cajun boogaloo (repeat chorus)
Songwriters: Jeff Hanna

Latest posts