Music Thread

If I had to listen to a handful of songs for the rest of my life, early Elton tunes would be near the top of the list. There's just something about the writing, the melody and his voice. Just perfection.
220px-Elton_John_-_Honky_Ch%C3%A2teau.jpg

My absolute favorite album of his. Still gets plenty of play in my household.

If I had to listen to a handful of songs for the rest of my life, early Elton tunes would be near the top of the list. There's just something about the writing, the melody and his voice. Just perfection.
After all these years, narrowly missing in Vegas and other places, my spouse and I finally saw Elton John in Moline last November.

It was worth the wait. He was tremendous. Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson, too.

After Paul McCartney could he be the most legendary living recording artist?

If he had opened with "Funeral/Love Lies Bleeding" I probably would have gone into cardiac arrest. He opened with "The Bitch Is Back" which wasn't by any means shabby.

Other highlights included three of the four songs you posted. The one he didn't play (Madman) is my all time favorite but he could have played until six in the morning and not gotten to everyone's favorite.

Last edited:
The Jim Carroll Band "The People Who Died"

An oldie but goodie
- RIP Jim Carroll

Last edited:
After all these years, narrowly missing in Vegas and other places, my spouse and I finally saw Elton John in Moline last November.

It was worth the wait. He was tremendous. Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson, too.

After Paul McCartney could he be the most legendary living recording artist?

If he had opened with "Funeral/Love Lies Bleeding" I probably would have gone into cardiac arrest. He opened with "The Bitch Is Back" which wasn't by any means shabby.

Other highlights included three of the four songs you posted. The one he didn't play (Madman) is my all time favorite but he could have played until six in the morning and not gotten to everyone's favorite.
He's still a tremendous showman, but, keeping it real, his songs just aren't quite the same since he lost the ability to hit the high notes. He kind of "growls" them, but he puts so much effort into being an overall performer, it is still very satisfying.

Kind of like the Airplane/Starship conversation, Elton before 1980 was out of this world, but, after '80 the majority of his releases bordered on terrible. A lot of if had to do with his developing cocaine addiction, as well as losing Bernie and having band changes, but the dichotomy in quality is stunning.

I really can't express on this board how much his early stuff means to me. Around that time, my father was dying and I entered my first real puppy love relationship. Those songs bring back a wave of complex emotions, even to this day.

He's still a tremendous showman, but, keeping it real, his songs just aren't quite the same since he lost the ability to hit the high notes. He kind of "growls" them, but he puts so much effort into being an overall performer, it is still very satisfying.

Kind of like the Airplane/Starship conversation, Elton before 1980 was out of this world, but, after '80 the majority of his releases bordered on terrible. A lot of if had to do with his developing cocaine addiction, as well as losing Bernie and having band changes, but the dichotomy in quality is stunning.

I really can't express on this board how much his early stuff means to me. Around that time, my father was dying and I entered my first real puppy love relationship. Those songs bring back a wave of complex emotions, even to this day.
Trying to remember if he played the jazz shuffle "Honky Cat" and the intense piano that it entailed. Either way he could still tickle the ivories. He hasn't lost his fastball there. I remember when he lost his original band and Davey went out with Alice Cooper on at least one tour. Nigel actually had a couple AM hits around 1978-1979. You're absolutely right. He can't hit the highest notes any more but still puts on a great show. You mentioned his drug problems in the eighties. I always wondered if John Lennon's death was what started it. I think they were pretty close friends. Also the eighties weren't the kindest of decades for people who had desires to "come out of the closet." That may not have helped either. And losing Bernie as his songwriting partner as you pointed out. His fall was as precipitous as anyone's in the history of rock and roll.

Trying to remember if he played the jazz shuffle "Honky Cat" and the intense piano that it entailed. Either way he could still tickle the ivories. He hasn't lost his fastball there. I remember when he lost his original band and Davey went out with Alice Cooper on at least one tour. Nigel actually had a couple AM hits around 1978-1979. You're absolutely right. He can't hit the highest notes any more but still puts on a great show. You mentioned his drug problems in the eighties. I always wondered if John Lennon's death was what started it. I think they were pretty close friends. Also the eighties weren't the kindest of decades for people who had desires to "come out of the closet." That may not have helped either. And losing Bernie as his songwriting partner as you pointed out. His fall was as precipitous as anyone's in the history of rock and roll.
Listening to Elton in interviews, it sounds like he started the drugs earlier, but, yes, by all accounts, the death of Lennon hit him pretty hard, as did the substance abuse troubles and death of Elizabeth Taylor.

I'm not sure about the gay thing. It took Elton quite awhile to come to grip with his own sexuality (probably due primarily to denial), but when he officially came out, he did so pretty decisively and with confidence.

Like so many people who experience success, I think he just lost his focus. He deviated from being an amazing singer and composer - in partnership with the lyrical talents of Taupin - to prioritizing gay rights, HIV awareness and his own flamboyancy, all while having his judgement adversely affected by excessive cocaine abuse.

Listening to Elton in interviews, it sounds like he started the drugs earlier, but, yes, by all accounts, the death of Lennon hit him pretty hard, as did the substance abuse troubles and death of Elizabeth Taylor.

I'm not sure about the gay thing. It took Elton quite awhile to come to grip with his own sexuality (probably due primarily to denial), but when he officially came out, he did so pretty decisively and with confidence.

Like so many people who experience success, I think he just lost his focus. He deviated from being an amazing singer and composer - in partnership with the lyrical talents of Taupin - to prioritizing gay rights, HIV awareness and his own flamboyancy, all while having his judgement adversely affected by excessive cocaine abuse.

Being able to sustain success in all endeavors is what separates a lot of the immortals from the rest of us. Resting on your laurels is part of human nature and it's difficult not to fall into that trap. Being able to rise again after being knocked down is another measure of greatness. Tiger Woods is facing that challenge now. Elton, at least as a performer, has done similar. I'm glad I saw him while I still could.

Off topic, back to Black Sabbath. Heard "Children of The Grave" yesterday. OMG it sounds better with age. Where does that rank in your Sabbath pantheon? Geezer's bass, are you kidding?

Being able to sustain success in all endeavors is what separates a lot of the immortals from the rest of us. Resting on your laurels is part of human nature and it's difficult not to fall into that trap. Being able to rise again after being knocked down is another measure of greatness. Tiger Woods is facing that challenge now. Elton, at least as a performer, has done similar. I'm glad I saw him while I still could.

Off topic, back to Black Sabbath. Heard "Children of The Grave" yesterday. OMG it sounds better with age. Where does that rank in your Sabbath pantheon? Geezer's bass, are you kidding?
It's right up there. Just another great example of Ward's amazing drumming combined with Iommi's guitar riffs. Ironically, I listened to "The Wizard" yesterday, another of my Sabbath favorites.

If you haven't, I would recommend listening to the Youtubers I posted a few pages back reviewing "War Pigs." Those guys are really fun to listen to. They have probably 30 or 40 song reviews on Youtube.

Latest posts