Moss testing the NBA process

Criticizing IM for this is classic Hawkeyenation fodder. It's available to every player, why wouldn't you do it? Yes, Moss won't get drafted but why wouldn't you go to a job fair so the top HR people can tell you what you need to do to get better? It cost them nothing and can only be beneficial to IM and the team considering NO ONE thinks he's going to get drafted, including IM and the Iowa staff. He can't hurt his chances when there isn't a chance. The draft process is a vastly different experience for players testing the waters and those fully committed to declaring in terms of the type of training they receive, the communication they are allowed to have with agents and teams, and the seriousness with which their candidacy is taken by NBA executives. Playing at the combine can be a humbling experience, undressing a player's weaknesses for all to see. Since the new early-entry rules were instituted, only one player (Pascal Siakam, No. 27 pick in 2016) who participated in the combine while "testing the waters" went on to be picked in the first round that year. This is a rule that frankly more players should take advantage of, I am glad that Iowa's staff encourages it. Tuning Fran out? More likely following Fran's advice.

I find myself agreeing more with this line of thinking. PLUS, Moss is 21. That's the age to do this. At the end of the day, it allows players to get advice from another source. Just because I Yelp a restaurant after my friend tells me I should go there doesn't mean I don't trust my friend.

I find myself agreeing more with this line of thinking. PLUS, Moss is 21. That's the age to do this. At the end of the day, it allows players to get advice from another source. Just because I Yelp a restaurant after my friend tells me I should go there doesn't mean I don't trust my friend.
I don't have a problem with Moss or anyone else going through this process. No down side.

This is a case of fans needing to step away from the keyboard or twitter after first finding out about it. When I first heard about it I was like, c'mon man, you're not good enough for the NBA by far.

But the more I thought about it the more it makes sense for the kid and the program. Best of luck Isaiah, in pursuing your dream.

IIRC, anyone can go through the evaluation process but the combine is by invite only. Many times this year, announcers talked about Moss having NBA potential. I think he does, but he has to commit to it. I have zero problems with a player who believes (or wonders if) he has pro potential getting feedback straight from the pros when there is no real downside.

If you're hating on IM, then you don't care if he leaves. If he gets feedback, comes back and improves, helping the team as well as himself, are you going to be so hung up on your comments on this thread that you can't admit it was a good thing for him to do?

If you were finishing your sophomore year of college and top people from your chosen career were willing to tell you (for free) what classes to take, what experience you needed and what grades you'd have to get to make it into the top firms, would you turn them away because you weren't ready for that?

We also heard every single game from commentators about how deep we are, and how dangerous that makes Iowa. That's the kind of shiat that gets said when commentators see the same dumpster fire over and over, and there really are very few positives if any. Think Dakich this year.

This is a case of fans needing to step away from the keyboard or twitter after first finding out about it. When I first heard about it I was like, c'mon man, you're not good enough for the NBA by far.

But the more I thought about it the more it makes sense for the kid and the program. Best of luck Isaiah, in pursuing your dream.

But this ain’t exactly rookie boot camp. How much are these guys likely to learn about their potential? What sort of feedback do they get?

Even if both of them are told they have no likelihood of being drafted this year, I’d be surprised to see them back on the Iowa campus.

I said this back when Cook entered the draft that he is looking at this as a way to gather better information on what he needs to do to increase his chances at getting to the next level. I don't think Cook feels he is getting that at Iowa under Fran.Odds I think very high Cook is done at Iowa and he goes overseas or Development League. Now with Moss I'm really convinced these kids don't have any confidence it what they are being taught and how they are developing. But I do think Moss returns to Iowa.

- Just my 2 cents -

I think he should apply for a surgical internship...no need for undergraduate...just start operating...MD in two weeks perhaps, MD Anderson.

I don't think most fans are being critical of Moss for pursuing this, per se. As most have stated, there is no real downside for Iowa. I think many fans are questioning whether his self-perception is realistic and whether or not he is exercising proper patience.

Not that I always agree, but a very similar criticism could be leveled against millennials as a group. Right or wrong, the perception of this generation is that they feel that society owes them. They shouldn't have to work hard to achieve their goals, should be rewarded for mediocrity, shouldn't be forced to get a job, shouldn't have to pay back student loans, etc., etc.

Yes, it is a process available to any collegiate player, but it's on the players, parents and coaches to help student athletes maintain a certain perspective, and understand that success takes time and effort. There are no shortcuts. There is a potential downside for Isaiah, depending upon how he handles the feedback. Will he buckle down and work at it, or will he lose confidence, become frustrated and throw in the towel?

In fairness to the coaches, they are in a bit of a tough balancing act here. I'm sure they want to be perceived as encouraging and supportive - and they should be - but they also know the importance of keeping the players in the right mindset.

I don't think most fans are being critical of Moss for pursuing this, per se. As most have stated, there is no real downside for Iowa. I think many fans are questioning whether his self-perception is realistic and whether or not he is exercising proper patience.

Not that I always agree, but a very similar criticism could be leveled against millennials as a group. Right or wrong, the perception of this generation is that they feel that society owes them. They shouldn't have to work hard to achieve their goals, should be rewarded for mediocrity, shouldn't be forced to get a job, shouldn't have to pay back student loans, etc., etc.

Yes, it is a process available to any collegiate player, but it's on the players, parents and coaches to help student athletes maintain a certain perspective, and understand that success takes time and effort. There are no shortcuts. There is a potential downside for Isaiah, depending upon how he handles the feedback. Will he buckle down and work at it, or will he lose confidence, become frustrated and throw in the towel?

In fairness to the coaches, they are in a bit of a tough balancing act here. I'm sure they want to be perceived as encouraging and supportive - and they should be - but they also know the importance of keeping the players in the right mindset.
I addressed millennials about three weeks ago. I called it the "gimme, gimme, gimme" generation. They still work hard, they just don't want to pay their dues as much. They go to college and they dont want to live in the dorms anymore, they live in Coralville or North Liberty. They come straight out of college thinking they are ready to be manager level employees. They dont want to rent apartments, hell they buy $300,000 homes at .9% variables. (Down payment, huh? What's a down payment?) They want instant gratification for their hard work. Modern technology give millennials the world at their fingertips. And it carries over to other aspects of their lives. You had to be, for example, a once in a generation athlete to start varsity as a freshman back in the day. Not anymore.

I said the exact same thing about Moss earlier in the thread. He can process an honest assessment of his game on of two ways. It is up to him. You know Fran is being honest with him, especially with the impending arrivement of Weiscamp.

What I'm trying to say I think dovetails with what you're saying. Perfact example; we just got back from a family spring break in Cancun. Before the plane even took off my daughter was talking Hawaii. Good Lord! I had never traveled as far as Saint Louis until I was fourteen. And my first plane trip wasn't until my honeymoon.

Last edited:

Yep. People forget he is 21 and will be 22 by the start of next season. By NBA standards he is "getting up there in age."

I addressed millennials about three weeks ago. I called it the "gimme, gimme, gimme" generation. They still work hard, they just don't want to pay their dues as much. They go to college and they dont want to live in the dorms anymore, they live in Coralville or North Liberty. They come straight out of college thinking they are ready to be manager level employees. They dont want to rent apartments, hell they buy $300,000 homes at .9% variables. (Down payment, huh? What's a down payment?) They want instant gratification for their hard work. Modern technology give millennials the world at their fingertips. And it carries over to other aspects of their lives. You had to be, for example, a once in a generation athlete to start varsity as a freshman back in the day. Not anymore.

I said the exact same thing about Moss earlier in the thread. He can process an honest assessment of his game on of two ways. It is up to him. You know Fran is being honest with him, especially with the impending arrivement of Weiscamp.

What I'm trying to say I think dovetails with what you're saying. Perfact example; we just got back from a family spring break in Cancun. Before the plane even took off my daughter was talking Hawaii. Good Lord! I had never traveled as far as Saint Louis until I was fourteen. And my first plane trip wasn't until my honeymoon.

We can't blame millennials for everything. It is my generation(GenXer) and previous generations that have raised these kids.

Yep. People forget he is 21 and will be 22 by the start of next season. By NBA standards he is "getting up there in age."
You may be on to something there. Today's star players play so much at such a young age and make so much money that they may peak sooner. Look at Stephen Curry. He just turned 30 and he already seems to be breaking down a bit.

We can't blame millennials for everything. It is my generation(GenXer) and previous generations that have raised these kids.
I'm on the fence of late baby boomer/early generation X. Things started to change in our generation. We still obeyed authority but were
the first to start to question it. And like you said, we are the ones raising the millennials, many of us with college educations.

I'll never forget my high school government teacher in 1983 telling us that in our lifetime, we would see a day when kids would no longer fear authority and that the parents and teachers would in fact fear the kids. And teenage kids would go on shooting rampages in high schools. We laughed at him. I have a fourteen year old, a seventeen year old and a twenty year old. I wish I was still laughing now.

I love how if you disagree with anyone on this site, a site for conversation and debate, it ends up with someone calling someone a name. But the Iowa basketball team is mentally weak? Classic. I heart you HN, never change.

I understand what you are saying, but I can see how someone can come to the conclusion that Iowa is mentally weak. One of the things Jay Wright realized 5 or 6 years ago was he needed to get mentally tougher kids. He flat out said that. It happens where you can get a roster without any alpha males on it.

I understand what you are saying, but I can see how someone can come to the conclusion that Iowa is mentally weak. One of the things Jay Wright realized 5 or 6 years ago was he needed to get mentally tougher kids. He flat out said that. It happens where you can get a roster without any alpha males on it.
All you have to do is look at at team's (or coach's) record in games decided by one possession or fewer and you will quickly see who has the mentally tough kids and who doesn't. Sometimes it's luck, but more often than not, it's no accident.

I'm on the fence of late baby boomer/early generation X. Things started to change in our generation. We still obeyed authority but were
the first to start to question it. And like you said, we are the ones raising the millennials, many of us with college educations.

I'll never forget my high school government teacher in 1983 telling us that in our lifetime, we would see a day when kids would no longer fear authority and that the parents and teachers would in fact fear the kids. And teenage kids would go on shooting rampages in high schools. We laughed at him. I have a fourteen year old, a seventeen year old and a twenty year old. I wish I was still laughing now.

I am glad that that I am GenXer that can embrace both worlds. You just took a vacation to Cancun. Remember when you had to go to a strip mall and set up everything through a travel agent? Now you can do that from your home in about 30 minutes and get the best deals possible. In other words, I can see how millennials have a " why wait" mentality.

I am glad that that I am GenXer that can embrace both worlds. You just took a vacation to Cancun. Remember when you had to go to a strip mall and set up everything through a travel agent? Now you can do that from your home in about 30 minutes and get the best deals possible. In other words, I can see how millennials have a " why wait" mentality.
Like I said, modern technology. Not to mention a wife who is willing to take care of that stuff. (ha ha)

That said, I had some of the best times of my life in Currier Hall in the mid eighties living in a 10x12 foot box with another human being and having to walk down the hall to shower or take care of business. And the apartments I lived in my first five years out of college weren't palatial estates. And I wouldn't trade those days for nothing. There was something back then about the freedom of calling your own shots for the first time, something that scares many millennials half to death.

Last edited:

Latest posts