Moss testing the NBA process

The real tragedy is the players who clearly aren't ready and hire agents. Like Diamond Stone. Think he could have used another season or two at Maryland? He's bounced around three NBA franchises already and I'm not sure if he's even in the G league. Thing is, unless he was tearing up the AAU circuit (or, more accurately, agents and shoe hounds made him think he was), he wasn't anything special in high school either. He was a classic big city kid going to a small suburban private school and dominating 6'3 and 6'4 post players. And he was a thug to boot, as evidenced by his shove from behind of a Badger's face into the floor. And the basketball ball world is littered with Diamond Stones, any many of them end up pointing the finger everywhere but where it should be.

You are describing the human element. The world is filled with thugs. Actually we all have parts of us that are like that. We just dont like to admit that.

Its pretty plain to see he doesnt have much of a future at Iowa. Its easier to say...hey I was good enough to try than die on the vine or get rejection in trying to transfer. Anyone who can pop 30 in a Big game isnt terrible

Completely agree. Who wouldn't want to be evaluated by the pros and told point blank what they need to work on? There is zero downside to it

Iowa was an 11th place team in the Big Ten with 14 wins for the season. We got two players on the team who think they're good enough to play in the NBA. I think I figured out this team's problem last season. Ready they think they are, but finished with their training they are not!

Make the NBA Moss must do. Try the draft process he cannot. Do or not do. There is no try.

I think we'll find out by the end of May Fran's relationship with his players, at least to a point. Neither Moss nor Cook are going to be drafted but if they still don't come back to Iowa, something may be wrong with how Fran relates to his players. But then I might be becoming Captain Obvious on that one.

Now I don't know completely know how the whole process works, but if I was an NBA scout evaluating talent, I would want to evaluate players by invitation only (maybe this is how they do it, I don't know for sure.....but I would have a given player that could apply for an evaluation and see if they get an invite). But, to me, evaluating Moss would be a waste of time right now. This one, I don't get.

Cook is also debatable, but at least he can dunk like an NBA player.

I think players should be somewhat pro ready if they are going this route. Moss is not even close to somewhat and I think it is a waste of the pros time.

I don't know guys. Am I being to hard on Moss and the Pro process? :)

Maybe, just maybe it's Fran's honestly and not lack of expertise that's the problem. Moss, for example. If he thinks he's in danger of losing minutes to Weiscamp I'm sure Fran has addressed that possibility in no uncertain terms. Moss can then go one of two directions.

If a coach has a chance to bring in a prized recruit he's not going to worry about ruffling the feathers of his present players. He has games to win. Having a roster stocked with young fours and fives did not stop Fran from bringing in Nunge and Garza even though we had glaring needs elsewhere.

Development is a two way street. Yes, the coach has to develop the player but the player also has to be open to suggestions, too. And, occasionally, has to hear what he doesn't want to hear. Moss could come back and be so motivated that he stays ahead of Weiscamp in the rotation. He shown flashes of that kind of talent.

How college age players handle honesty in the modern day can be a fickle thing. Those who have been hinted at possibly tuning out Fran may or may not be among those who have difficulty dealing with it. Let's see who comes back.

Criticizing IM for this is classic Hawkeyenation fodder. It's available to every player, why wouldn't you do it? Yes, Moss won't get drafted but why wouldn't you go to a job fair so the top HR people can tell you what you need to do to get better? It cost them nothing and can only be beneficial to IM and the team considering NO ONE thinks he's going to get drafted, including IM and the Iowa staff. He can't hurt his chances when there isn't a chance. The draft process is a vastly different experience for players testing the waters and those fully committed to declaring in terms of the type of training they receive, the communication they are allowed to have with agents and teams, and the seriousness with which their candidacy is taken by NBA executives. Playing at the combine can be a humbling experience, undressing a player's weaknesses for all to see. Since the new early-entry rules were instituted, only one player (Pascal Siakam, No. 27 pick in 2016) who participated in the combine while "testing the waters" went on to be picked in the first round that year. This is a rule that frankly more players should take advantage of, I am glad that Iowa's staff encourages it. Tuning Fran out? More likely following Fran's advice.

In all honesty moss is no where near nba material. How much time do people think will go into an evaluation of him? I picture american idol auditions where some of them get laughed at behind scenes

IIRC, anyone can go through the evaluation process but the combine is by invite only. Many times this year, announcers talked about Moss having NBA potential. I think he does, but he has to commit to it. I have zero problems with a player who believes (or wonders if) he has pro potential getting feedback straight from the pros when there is no real downside.

If you're hating on IM, then you don't care if he leaves. If he gets feedback, comes back and improves, helping the team as well as himself, are you going to be so hung up on your comments on this thread that you can't admit it was a good thing for him to do?

If you were finishing your sophomore year of college and top people from your chosen career were willing to tell you (for free) what classes to take, what experience you needed and what grades you'd have to get to make it into the top firms, would you turn them away because you weren't ready for that?