Morehouse Tweet

I expect this team to be on the outside of the NCAA bubble next year. Probably 20 or 21 wins. 6th - 9th place BIG conf finish. That could change for the worse, if certain players decide to leave, injuries, etc.
I'm curious who here will be arguing to keep Fran after 3 straight seasons of missing the NCAA tournament?

Come on lightning, don't change your stance now. You think first years should only count if your team is average or sucks. You don't think first years count if your team is good.

He has had at least three teams fold, won ONE NCAA Tourney game, what evidence do you have that he is a good coach ? None, this is not like football, where it takes years to turn a program around, Fran has had his chance and he blew it. All of you apologists make me sick.

It's funny that tk likes every single negative post on here. Even ones like this that is so blatantly wrong.

Last edited:
No need to be sorry. My point is just if Fran turns this thing around (which I hope he does), that doesn’t prove that Barta was right with this particular contract.

The point about Gard, has nothing to do with him as a coach. It’s showing that a competent Athletic Director doesn’t see the need to extend a coach for recruiting. Second name I thought of was Chris Mack at Xavier, he too is only on contract through 2022. Jon Belien looks like he’s only on through 2021. How will they ever compete on the recruiting trail?

My prediction for the program isn’t nearly as gloomy as some, but that doesn’t mean I think this was a good contract, or that it was about recruiting. I admire your optimism I really do, but it just really seems like you are searching for things that aren’t there.

Probably at least a little true. I want to believe that it’s because Fran is going to land all those kids and they are gonna to come to Iowa because of Fran, Patrick and the culture he was building at the program up until this season. Only time will tell. I agree whole heartedly that the buy out and not announcing it was bullshit. Fire Barta

It's funny seeing every single negative post on here be liked by tk. Even ones that are so

It's funny that tk likes every single negative post on here. Even ones like this that is so blatantly wrong.

I corrected my mistake, he has won TWO NCAA Tourney games in 7 years. Hells yeah, let's put him in the Hall of Fame. My negativity isn't about this year, his teams have choked time and again, because he can't coach. Now at what point do you fire him? When CHA is completely empty? Half full isn't enough to fire him? Does it take another chair throwing incident? He has been kicked out of more games than he has won in the NCAA Tourney! Two tourney wins in 7 years isn't enough to fire him? Wait til next year, it will all be better, if I just hit my head on that rock one more time the pain will go away.

But I am happy to see all of Gary's support on here (sarcasm intended) because the student body has abandoned Fran, the ticket paying crowd has abandoned Fran. So who's left? Some on this board and Friends of Gary, and maybe a few big-wig donors?

Last edited:
I expect this team to be on the outside of the NCAA bubble next year. Probably 20 or 21 wins. 6th - 9th place BIG conf finish. That could change for the worse, if certain players decide to leave, injuries, etc.
I'm curious who here will be arguing to keep Fran after 3 straight seasons of missing the NCAA tournament?
Not me

Yeah. And Raveling left saying, “Iowa is a nice place with 95% of the people being great people but it’s not ‘urban’ enough.”

What’s Fran going to say, ‘Iowa’s not Philly enough?’ He’s been here long enough to know that.

I agree.

No, I couldn't smoke enough to think that either. I just mean, he's had 2 NCAA wins in the last 4. I still count all 7 - I still count this season. Count em all. 2 in 7 isn't good enough. Period. But 2 in the last 4 is. I guess that doesn't probably make sense that I look at his more recent years then his early years. But I do. The last 2 haven't been good enough - and 2 in 5 definitely is a sign that I would want him gone. If that speaks volumes about me as a person as you suggest, you are straight up savage. I don't agree with you, but I am sure your character is fine and I am not gonna question it.
Here is the only numbers that you should pay attention to. After this season 5 out of 8 seasons of not making the dance . That ties Steve Awful. Fran bathes in mediocrity . He has never taken one single program past the second round of the NCAA tourney.

Here is the only numbers that you should pay attention to. After this season 5 out of 8 seasons of not making the dance . That ties Steve Awful. Fran bathes in mediocrity . He has never taken one single program past the second round of the NCAA tourney.

Every coach in the world would have worse results than they should have because of the condition of the Iowa program at the time. And not being able to get his previous programs to the sweet 16 isn't exactly proof he sucks.

Come on lightning, don't change your stance now. You think first years should only count if your team is average or sucks. You don't think first years count if your team is good.
Depends on the roster. When you come in and you have 8 NBA players on your roster (Tom Davis) - and 5 years later you have 1 NBA player on the roster, you get NO CREDIT for the first few seasons.
When you come in and 4 of the top 7 players are YOUR players, the players that came in with you, you get credit for the results of that roster (Fran McCaffery). I might give you a break on the first season. Maybe.

Last edited:
Every coach in the world would have worse results than they should have because of the condition of the Iowa program at the time. And not being able to get his previous programs to the sweet 16 isn't exactly proof he sucks.
Bull shit. Fran had talent on that first roster.

Depends on the roster. When you come in and you have 8 NBA players on your roster (Tom Davis) - and 5 years later you have 1 NBA player on the roster, you get NO CREDIT for the first few seasons.
When you come in and 4 of the top 7 players are YOUR players, the players that came in with you, you get credit for the results of that roster (Fran McCaffery). I might give you a break on the first season. Maybe.

So 5 years later Davis lost all his talent, so he sucks (I understand that logic). But 5 years later, Fran had a program that was considered one of the worst in the nation (I know you argue that fact, but I have no idea how) turned into teams that finished tied for 3rd in the conference two years in a row, yet still gets no credit?

You are just a guy who constantly wants to fire the coach because no matter what he does, it's never good enough. If Fran had 3 straight sweet 16 appearances, you would be on here saying he needs to go because he can't get us to the elite 8. Every one else would be losers because only apologists are satisfied with anything less than championships.

So 5 years later Davis lost all his talent, so he sucks (I understand that logic). But 5 years later, Fran had a program that was considered one of the worst in the nation (I know you argue that fact, but I have no idea how) turned into teams that finished tied for 3rd in the conference two years in a row, yet still gets no credit?

You are just a guy who constantly wants to fire the coach because no matter what he does, it's never good enough. If Fran had 3 straight sweet 16 appearances, you would be on here saying he needs to go because he can't get us to the elite 8. Every one else would be losers because only apologists are satisfied with anything less than championships.
More bull shit. I never argued that Fran's 5th team was one of the worst in the nation. Why tell lies? You're just a guy that tells lies to fit his agenda. That makes you a dishonest loser. Congrats.

It proves he has never been relevant

Lol what talent did he have? Senior Cole? Sophomore Gatens? Freshmen Marble? You must think today's roster is loaded.
He had roughly the same amount of talent on that roster that he has today. The records would back up that opinion.

Are you saying there isn’t a coach on the planet who wouldn’t have done better by year 8 coming off the Lick era?

Are you saying there isn’t a coach on the planet who wouldn’t have done better by year 8 coming off the Lick era?

No I'm saying every coach's 8 year stats would be tarnished by how bad the program was when he took over. Maybe coach K would only have 6 final 4s in 8 years because he couldn't get them there the first 2 years.

When you take over an extremely down program, your stats will always reflect that. If coach K took over when Davis did, his 8 year win loss percentage would be considerably better than it would be had he taken over when Fran did. That's why you absolutely HAVE to take into account the shape of a program when a coach starts.

More bull shit. I never argued that Fran's 5th team was one of the worst in the nation. Why tell lies? You're just a guy that tells lies to fit his agenda. That makes you a dishonest loser. Congrats.

Lol is that really what you got out of reading my post? I guess it was worded kinda funny, but even a guy with your reading comprehension skills should have been able to decipher it better than that.

Latest posts