Miller: How Sports Can Teach

Me too and my kids who are highly successful. We were a one income family on a teacher salary with a bunch of kids.

That said, the playing field is not equal. 85% of stocks are owned by the 1%. They trade up to the minute. Most of us get 1 day. That's huge. The financial crisis was a lot about the 1% taking.

My wife works in a minority dominated school. The parents can't get off to take care of sick kids. They work multiple jobs often without day care. They can't get to the hospital. Many of the kids are traumatized. My kids get to go to the best school in this area of my state.

I think what you are missing is the impact of trauma, fetal alcohol, lack of medical care, lack of parents having the ability or the time to help with school. It is a real problem with no easy answers. It's easy to sit in middle class and look down. The middle class gets soaked by the upper class.

The so called nanny state isn't the answer. Neither is letting the masses figure it out. Education is a key component.

Even in Iowa one can see it easily. Kids from Council Bluffs have opportunity. It's not the same as growing up in Ankeny. Graduating from Nebraska Omaha ins't the same as Iowa and so on.

The truth is in between somewhere.

Dude, my wife works with the extreme behavior kids in a large school district. We are well aware of the challenges out there and understand many of the reasons.

The single biggest factor for success in school is parental income. The level of income is most reliably predicted by the level of education. Now simply look at mean income for African Americans and compare it the mean income for white people. Circle back.

Willingness to take responsibility for your own successes or failures is a good predictor for success. Unfortunately, lower income individuals, minorities, and females are more willing to blame themselves for perceived failures and more often attribute their successes to luck, chance, or another individual.

The “locus of control” construct is pretty telling. Internal locus of control = higher levels of success; external locus of control, not so much.

The US is a very racist, sexist society. Sorry, but I have been a mature adult since the late sixties and I cannot find any evidence to the contrary. Sad. I try hard to avoid racist tendencies; I worked very hard to teach my children to do the right thing. I worked hard in my profession to provide leadership opportunities for women. We all need to commit to ourselves to do what we can.

Or when kids have both parents in their lives. I've been an educator for os
First off. I would bet there are more of the non-wealthy “underserved” snorting coke than the wealthy.

Secondly Dude, it you knew my life story you’d be eating your words. I’ve lived my adult life (since 18 yrs of age) with no legs. I had to figure out my path at that time in my life and survive. Imagine the extent my job opportunities or career choices were cut. I am in one of the smallest minorities in society and have lived with multiple episodes of discrimination up close and personal as well on multiple levels. So I literally chuckled at your statement about one leg. F dude, you have no idea.

That's crazy lol... yeah but I wasn't being literal!

But still crazy...

unwealthy kids snorting coke...yeah only kids I knew when I were young that did coke was rich lawyers kids a couple blocks up from me. Only ones that could afford it - well they actually didn't buy it themselves, stole from parents stash.

Last edited:
Show examples where they don't.

You do realize that big, dark, secret money in campaigns now enables those with the money and power to rewrite tax laws that create even more money and greater power for them (the 1%), at the expense of the rest of us? MEANWHILE how many years has it been since the minimum wage was increased? BTW why didn't any republican candidates actually campaign on the Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell/ Donald Trump/ Koch Bros etc etc "middle class" tax break law during the midterms? You know the answer, correct? Let me ask you fine folks who are middle class or own small businesses, Did your tax liability go up or down this year? Because I can guarantee you the direction the 1%'s went.

My point is the deck has always been stacked against minorities AND the working poor. That hasn't changed one iota, except that it is getting worse. Income inequality is a very serious problem in this country.

Let me give you an example here at home. Iowa state senator Jason Schulze from Schleswig wants to make it harder for Iowans to get food stamps (SNAP) by forcing work requirements. "Iowans should earn their keep" he says. Tough guy huh? BUT when asked about raising the minimum wage he said NO. That wouldn't help with someone's need for food.

And while we are talking about someone from Schleswig, you want to take a look at their city website? For all of you who believe that racism isn't alive and well here in Iowa? Look under their EDUCATION heading. I will quote it for you. "We have very few minority students". Yep, an Iowa town of 880 people is boasting about the fact they don't have any minorities there. Code: Stay away. Have our attitudes changed much Jon Miller? "Iowa Nice" there in Schleswig and Senator Schulze. And Iowa is made up of a LOT of Schleswig's now aren't we??

If you live in Schleswig or West Branch or Ida Grove or Smallville, Iowa, force yourself to meet people of color including immigrants. I work with them every day of my life and have for decades. They want the same thing we all want - to provide for our children and make this place better for them. And they work their asses off in spite of what Senator Schulze would have you believe, even when the deck is becoming increasingly stacked against them.

https://www.schleswigia.com/services.asp

Last edited:
You do realize that big, dark, secret money in campaigns now enables those with the money and power to rewrite tax laws that create even more money and greater power for them (the 1%), at the expense of the rest of us? MEANWHILE how many years has it been since the minimum wage was increased? BTW why didn't any republican candidates actually campaign on the Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell/ Donald Trump/ Koch Bros etc etc "middle class" tax break law during the midterms? You know the answer, correct? Let me ask you fine folks who are middle class or own small businesses, Did your tax liability go up or down this year? Because I can guarantee you the direction the 1%'s went.

My point is the deck has always been stacked against minorities AND the working poor. That hasn't changed one iota, except that it is getting worse. Income inequality is a very serious problem in this country.

Let me give you an example here at home. Iowa state senator Jason Schulze from Schleswig wants to make it harder for Iowans to get food stamps (SNAP) by forcing work requirements. "Iowans should earn their keep" he says. Tough guy huh? BUT when asked about raising the minimum wage he said NO. That wouldn't help with someone's need for food.

And while we are talking about someone from Schleswig, you want to take a look at their city website? For all of you who believe institutionalized racism isn't alive and well? Look under their EDUCATION heading. I will quote it for you. "We have very few minority students". Yep, an Iowa town of 880 people is boasting about the fact they don't have any minorities there. Code: Stay away. Have our attitudes changed much Jon Miller? Yep. "Iowa Nice" there in Schleswig and Senator Schulze. And Iowa is made up of a LOT of Schleswig's now aren't we??

If you live in Schleswig or West Branch or Ida Grove or Smallville, Iowa, force yourself to meet people of color including immigrants. I work with them every day of my life and have for decades. They want the same thing we all want - to provide for our children and make this place better for them. And they work their asses off in spite of what Senator Schulze would have you believe, even when the deck is becoming increasingly stacked against them.

https://www.schleswigia.com/services.asp

Oh please. Rob has clearly stated to keep the political debate off this board. Not going there.

Give me a kid from a rich family who's siblings have all gone to Harvard.

Give me a lower class, hard as F working kid from Harlem.

We will see who's family is ahead after 5,10, and 100 years.

Yes as long as we can at least form a sentence... and drag ourselves across the floor with 1 leg then we all have a shot in life lol

I love the fallacy being perpetuated by some of you that wealthy people are these brethren of self made hard workers. Yes there are some for sure that fall into that category, but there are a lot of wealthy people rolling around snorting up coke with endless amounts of money that they did anything to earn- besides coming out of the right testicle.

1. Hard working people of the earth.
2. People born into opportunity, affluence or wealth.

Who do you think runs the world?

You might like this article. Ivanka no less lecturing all of us about what the working class wants.

https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/ivanka-trump-blindness-her-own-131859525.html

Dude, my wife works with the extreme behavior kids in a large school district. We are well aware of the challenges out there and understand many of the reasons.

Then why the blanket statement....Dude... You are calling me out about saying the obvious while you leave out the obvious ....no?

From teaching middle schoolers for 16 years I can tell you.. it's not the same.

White kids have killed themselves from being bullied by other white kids. Sure it's not the same when you're a kid. As an adult, knowing how bad racism is compared to how it's not near as big of a deal to be fat or dorky (or whatever else a kid gets made fun of) it's easy to say it's way worse when you're treated bad because your race. But when you're the kid being treated bad, it sucks no matter what the reason.

In my opinion, the term "hate crime" is a joke. Like if I hear a gang of people beat a person to death, I should instantly become more outraged if I find out its race related. Who the hell cares what the reason is? 1

And when I say Joe isnt offended by the words "gorilla shampoo" I mean it's the intent behind the words that hurt him. Not the words themself. You guys are acting like I said the kid shouldn't have even been hurt.

The problem with people thinking it's the words that are offensive is it makes it so intent ceases to matter. That's how we get in situations like this King Kong one. Idiots pretend that words are what hurts, so those words become off limits to use in different contexts, then synonyms of those words become off limits because it's too close to the offensive words. How long before they have to change the name of the monkey cage at the zoo because it sounds too offensive?

Lol hold people accountable? All you did was make up a story and try to pass it off as proof that everyone has an equal chance at the same opportunities

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That applies to every U.S. citizen and legal resident. Nothing more is assumed or guaranteed.

At what point anywhere did I say that a $30k job wasn't worth it? Don't put words in my mouth. Don't try to pretend that some guy getting that $30k job as a ceiling has an "equal chance" at "every opportunity" as some rich trust fund kid who has every advantage. Sorry you're confusing somebody that has AN opportunity with others that have every opportunity.

At what point did Melrose say "ceiling"?

Yes as long as we can at least form a sentence... and drag ourselves across the floor with 1 leg then we all have a shot in life lol

I love the fallacy being perpetuated by some of you that wealthy people are these brethren of self made hard workers. Yes there are some for sure that fall into that category, but there are a lot of wealthy people rolling around snorting up coke with endless amounts of money that they did anything to earn- besides coming out of the right testicle.

1. Hard working people of the earth.
2. People born into opportunity, affluence or wealth.

Who do you think runs the world?

So, please, tell us all about wealthy people. Hold forth. I need your expert opinion.

Give me a kid from a rich family who's siblings have all gone to Harvard.

Give me a lower class, hard as F working kid from Harlem.

We will see who's family is ahead after 5,10, and 100 years.

And yet people keep voting for the Kennedys, Pelosis and Schumers....

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That applies to every U.S. citizen and legal resident. Nothing more is assumed or guaranteed.

Exactly. I don’t think they are getting my point I think my point is clearly stated. Again, I stated I realize not everyone starts on the same platform. I stated I realize some are behind the 8 ball and have a bigger uphill challenge. All I merely point out is in the US with hard work everyone has a chance to succeed. Anybody can go to a college, learn a trade either on job or a junior college. My point is that nobody is flat out turned away. Is it more difficult for others, yes. These people are pissed that not every single individual starts from the same platform. The jealousy is what inhibits most people. Suck it up and find a path. Quit spending your life playing the victim card.

The US is a very racist, sexist society. Sorry, but I have been a mature adult since the late sixties and I cannot find any evidence to the contrary.
LOL, then you need to get out more. You've been convinced by our clickbait media that this society is so oppressive. But when you get out and talk to actual people, you find just the opposite is true.

Exactly. I don’t think they are getting my point I think my point is clearly stated. Again, I stated I realize not everyone starts on the same platform. I stated I realize some are behind the 8 ball and have a bigger uphill challenge. All I merely point out is in the US with hard work everyone has a chance to succeed. Anybody can go to a college, learn a trade either on job or a junior college. My point is that nobody is flat out turned away. Is it more difficult for others, yes. These people are pissed that not every single individual starts from the same platform. The jealousy is what inhibits most people. Suck it up and find a path. Quit spending your life playing the victim card.

I'm not sure why you keep driving to drive home the obvious fact that people who work hard can earn a decent living, nobody is disputing that. Post after post is you proposing a straw man when nobody is disagreeing with you on that point. It's awesome that you overcame what you did and made something of yourself, nobody is discounting that. With hard work, most can succeed. Which people are pissed about everyone not "starting on the same platform"? Barriers and obstacles are natural but you're severely underestimating the degree of that separation.

You said earlier:

I do feel that living in this country gives everyone the same opportunities to succeed, more than some minorities say or think. I think everyone has an equal chance.

This is what I take issue with. Inequality in this country and the world is possibly the biggest issue that we face, and it's only getting worse. The top 1% earned 82% of the wealth produced last year. 82%! People have more money than they can spend in 100 lifetimes, meanwhile children are starving to death, others have no access to a decent education, or access to affordable healthcare. To pass off the obstacles and barriers that people face and claim that it's a level playing field is ignoring reality.

Show examples where they don't.

I would post links but since you say:

In addition, much of what is in your links is probably a lot of opinion. People can skew numbers to fit their arguments. It happens all the time.

you'll just ignore the hundreds of studies that prove that your "belief" is wrong.

Man U got issues.

Nah I just care about the issues of others.

Last edited:
At what point did Melrose say "ceiling"?
What are you talking about, I said it. He told a story about a man who had the potential of being a hardware store manager, a $30k a year job (maybe $50k, I don't know). Potential = ceiling, thanks for making me point out the obvious.