Miller: How Sports Can Teach

If hard jobs pay the same as easy jobs, no one would do the hard jobs. Sorry but I want the cream of the crop operating on me when I need it. I want that guy to make a shit ton of money because I want to have the comfort of knowing he beat out a lot of other people who want his job. Smart people are more likely to succeed because they are more qualified to do jobs that not everyone can. The 1% are the people who are really smart and deserve everything they have. Or they are descendants of really smart people who deserved everything they had. I dont think it's right for people to success shame them.

LOL, then you need to get out more. You've been convinced by our clickbait media that this society is so oppressive. But when you get out and talk to actual people, you find just the opposite is true.

Straight answer? You are wrong and underestimate me. This is not about the right wing war on the media.

Or when kids have both parents in their lives. I've been an educator for os

That's crazy lol... yeah but I wasn't being literal!

But still crazy...

unwealthy kids snorting coke...yeah only kids I knew when I were young that did coke was rich lawyers kids a couple blocks up from me. Only ones that could afford it - well they actually didn't buy it themselves, stole from parents stash.

Right there with you, Champ. 40 years as a public school educator in a variety of positions.

One of my first best friends as a kid was a black kid who lived down the street. i tried to be friends with everyone and didn't see any color. consequently, i was friends with all of the black kids in my school (at least those with whom i had interactions with,) primarily via sports, but not always. Through grade school and middle school my friendships. with black kids, grew in number as the schools got bigger with more students. These black kids were my friends. In fact, I sometimes became friends their siblings.

Then, I reached high school. And a funny thing happened. one day in the hallway, i ran into the black kid with whom i'd been friends with the longest. he was with other black kids that i didn't know yet. i walked up and said hello. he looked at me, looked away, and the entire group of black kids walked away.

So, was this an "unconscious bias" on his and their parts? per student expert in marc morehouse's article, unconscious bias is limited to white people. perhaps that statement can be revised???

Or, was this simply a case where my friend decided he wanted to hang out with different kids? was he being racist towards me? or, is it not possible that he could BE racist because he's black? Or, did his racist clock just happen to go off at the beginning of his sophomore year in high school?

As it turns out, we remained friends and, in fact, because of sports, i became friends with many of the black kids that were in that group, that day. whatever his motivation was that day, his intent was not to be biased or racist against me, by virtue of the fact we remained friends.

Is it possible that there was NO RACISM involved at all? Hmmm.....

Racism is a learned frame of mind, just like having a desire to eat steak. Who here knew they loved or hated steak before they had ever eaten it?

But if there is unconscious bias and if unconscious bias = racism, should we risk allowing white coaches to be on the same field or court with black officials? That means kirk ferentz could be a racist. So, again, racism is learned and not unconscious. there must be intent to say or do something to specifically hurt or injure another person.

In the case of dolph, neither UMD or bruno fernando indicated they were offended prior to barta and learfield suspending dolph. in jon's childhood memory, it sounds like there was racism involved. i guess i didn't get the "gene" that defaults other white people to an unconscious bias/racism.

What are you talking about, I said it. He told a story about a man who had the potential of being a hardware store manager, a $30k a year job (maybe $50k, I don't know). Potential = ceiling, thanks for making me point out the obvious.

Potential meaning "could move into full-time job". There is no such thing as "ceiling" at that point.

Still looking for proof of people being turned away or denied opportunities. Show one example of someone being denied admission to a trade school.

Yea, pertaining to my background and path it really gets in my craw witnessing people who have full or nearly full capacities, wether mind or body who can’t get their shit straight and make something of themself. It really doesn’t take much to make middle class. It is proven you only have to do pretty much 3 things. 1) Graduate HS. 2) don’t get pregnant or pregnant a girl prior to age 21. 3) stay off drugs and out of jail. You do those 3 things and only 2% will not make middle class. A fact. So this comes down to behavior much of the time

If hard jobs pay the same as easy jobs, no one would do the hard jobs. Sorry but I want the cream of the crop operating on me when I need it. I want that guy to make a shit ton of money because I want to have the comfort of knowing he beat out a lot of other people who want his job. Smart people are more likely to succeed because they are more qualified to do jobs that not everyone can. The 1% are the people who are really smart and deserve everything they have. Or they are descendants of really smart people who deserved everything they had. I dont think it's right for people to success shame them.

success should not ever be penalized. personally, i am not jealous of billionaires.

Still looking for proof of people being turned away or denied opportunities. Show one example of someone being denied admission to a trade school.

Yea, pertaining to my background and path it really gets in my craw witnessing people who have full or nearly full capacities, wether mind or body who can’t get their shit straight and make something of themself. It really doesn’t take much to make middle class. It is proven you only have to do pretty much 3 things. 1) Graduate HS. 2) don’t get pregnant or pregnant a girl prior to age 21. 3) stay off drugs and out of jail. You do those 3 things and only 2% will not make middle class. A fact. So this comes down to behavior much of the time

It's not hard - Link Link

There are thousands of cases just like these, I'm not going to link them all. For somebody that works hard are you too lazy to do your own research?

There are thousands of cases just like these, I'm not going to link them all. For somebody that works hard are you too lazy to do your own research?
links not working on my phone, I'll fix later

MelroseHawkins, post: 1822316, member: 69840"]I only ask for one. Certainly u can provide one. You are the one who has to provide proof to your logic or argument.

White kids have killed themselves from being bullied by other white kids. Sure it's not the same when you're a kid. As an adult, knowing how bad racism is compared to how it's not near as big of a deal to be fat or dorky (or whatever else a kid gets made fun of) it's easy to say it's way worse when you're treated bad because your race. But when you're the kid being treated bad, it sucks no matter what the reason.

In my opinion, the term "hate crime" is a joke. Like if I hear a gang of people beat a person to death, I should instantly become more outraged if I find out its race related. Who the hell cares what the reason is? 1

Who cares what the reason is? You serious bro? The penalities for murder or killing someone is all based upon the reasoning behind it...

Also man its not the same.. sure being made fun is typically bad for everyone. But racism is an entire different level. Genocides, holocausts, hangings... pretty sure history is not full people rounding up "fat" people to put them in concentration camps, or hanging a "fat person" because they dared to look at their wife.

C'mon man lol... it's not the same.

Straight answer? You are wrong and underestimate me. This is not about the right wing war on the media.
What?? I'm not talking right/left wing anything. The narrative being foisted on the general public is that our culture is horribly racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, islamophobic, etc, etc. And the problem is straight white males. Well, I call bullshit.

Here ya go big guy.

https://www.jacksonville.com/opinion/editorials/2012-01-27/story/three-rules-staying-out-poverty

It's all about behavior and changing the culture. It's not the government or people being denied opportunities to succeed.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-behavioral-aspects-of-poverty/

From said article.

"Those who graduate from high school, wait until marriage to have children, limit the size of their families, and work full-time will not be poor.

This last statement may be surprising, but it is true. Every year the Census Bureau collects detailed information on a large and representative sample of all households in the United States. From these data, the government calculates the poverty rate for all households. In the year 2001, 12 percent of all households were found to live in poverty. The government’s official poverty line in that year was $9,214 for a single individual living alone and $17,960 for a family of four. However, the poverty rate for those households where the primary wage-earner had finished high school, was married, had no more than two children, and worked full-time (2,000 hours a year or more) was trivially small—1 percent.

Contrast this scenario with another, in which we double the amount of welfare benefits provided to America’s poor. One might imagine that this would make them far better off. In fact, it does not. It reduces the poverty rate by only one percentage point.

The more general conclusion is that attitudes and behavior matter. If you stay in school, work hard, marry, and have a reasonable number of children, you may still struggle financially, but you will certainly not be destitute."

Drop mic.

Last edited:
What?? I'm not talking right/left wing anything. The narrative being foisted on the general public is that our culture is horribly racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, islamophobic, etc, etc. And the problem is straight white males. Well, I call bullshit.
OK. But you may want to enter the 21st Century.

Latest posts