Miller: How Sports Can Teach

What a waste of time talking to you about this, I wish I could agree to disagree but I can't even do that in this case

Yep it was. Sorry that I hold people accountable. Actually, people that hold themselves accountable and succeed have much more self assurance and self worth. I will post you a link.

He is absolutely not saying that - "I do feel that living in this country gives everyone the same opportunities to succeed, more than some minorities say or think. I think everyone has an equal chance."

Show examples where they don't.

He is absolutely not saying that - "I do feel that living in this country gives everyone the same opportunities to succeed, more than some minorities say or think. I think everyone has an equal chance."

Well then I disagree with him that its completely equal, a cross the board, everywhere in the US. But I do agree with his premise. While there are some people that will hire the white guy over the black guy, just because of their skin color, there are also other places that will hire the black guy over the white guy. I don't think it averages out to 50/50, but it does go both ways. Another thing is society doesn't impact opportunity near as much as parents do. Parents need to be held accountable. Dont raise your kids to think you have no shot because your color. Don't let your kids see you be a lazy bum. Set a good example and lead your kids down the path to success.

Yep it was. Sorry that I hold people accountable. Actually, people that hold themselves accountable and succeed have much more self assurance and self worth. I will post you a link.
Lol hold people accountable? All you did was make up a story and try to pass it off as proof that everyone has an equal chance at the same opportunities

Last edited:
Better than $0 a year living on the street. That right there is the problem and point I am trying to make. It is the mindset of people these days and you prove my point perfectly. "$30k a year is not good enough for me, so I'm not even going to do it". Well, screw people like you. Don't take the path then. It is YOUR choice. That is my point. People have a choice and opportunity. That is the important thing. People just expect to be rich or have all the luxurious items, and if they don't, they are being deprived. Bullcrap!

At what point anywhere did I say that a $30k job wasn't worth it? Don't put words in my mouth. Don't try to pretend that some guy getting that $30k job as a ceiling has an "equal chance" at "every opportunity" as some rich trust fund kid who has every advantage. Sorry you're confusing somebody that has AN opportunity with others that have every opportunity.

Last edited:
At what point anywhere did I say that a $30k job wasn't worth it? Don't put words in my mouth. Don't try to pretend that some guy getting that $30k job as a ceiling has an "equal chance" at "every opportunity" as some rich trust fund kid who has every advantage. Sorry you're confusing somebody that has AN opportunity with others that have every opportunity.

Man U got issues.

The rich trust fund kid got raised by ambitious people who tried hard to get into a position where they can give their kids advantages. I got absolutely nothing from my parents. I learned a trade and bust my ass to put my kids in a better position to succeed than the one I had. There are plenty of manual labor jobs out there that pay pretty damn well. Most have no issue hiring minorities. Go get one. Bust your ass. Raise your kids to have ambition and work ethic. Then maybe things will come a little easier for your kids than they came for you. Then if they do the same thing, maybe their kids can become rich trust fund babies. It only takes a few generations of hard working families to go from poverty to rich. People say race is the reason people don't have opportunity. I say family is the reason.

A little off topic but it's like people who rebel Walmart and other big businesses. The reason they're big is because they worked hard and did things right so they could become successful. Companies like that are the last ones I want to rebel.

The rich trust fund kid got raised by ambitious people who tried hard to get into a position where they can give their kids advantages. I got absolutely nothing from my parents. I learned a trade and bust my ass to put my kids in a better position to succeed than the one I had. There are plenty of manual labor jobs out there that pay pretty damn well. Most have no issue hiring minorities. Go get one. Bust your ass. Raise your kids to have ambition and work ethic. Then maybe things will come a little easier for your kids than they came for you. Then if they do the same thing, maybe their kids can become rich trust fund babies. It only takes a few generations of hard working families to go from poverty to rich. People say race is the reason people don't have opportunity. I say family is the reason.

A little off topic but it's like people who rebel Walmart and other big businesses. The reason they're big is because they worked hard and did things right so they could become successful. Companies like that are the last ones I want to rebel.

Exactly. My same thought.

I also never had a college fund. Had to find my own path.

Yes as long as we can at least form a sentence... and drag ourselves across the floor with 1 leg then we all have a shot in life lol

I love the fallacy being perpetuated by some of you that wealthy people are these brethren of self made hard workers. Yes there are some for sure that fall into that category, but there are a lot of wealthy people rolling around snorting up coke with endless amounts of money that they did anything to earn- besides coming out of the right testicle.

1. Hard working people of the earth.
2. People born into opportunity, affluence or wealth.

Who do you think runs the world?

Last edited:

Me too and my kids who are highly successful. We were a one income family on a teacher salary with a bunch of kids.

That said, the playing field is not equal. 85% of stocks are owned by the 1%. They trade up to the minute. Most of us get 1 day. That's huge. The financial crisis was a lot about the 1% taking.

My wife works in a minority dominated school. The parents can't get off to take care of sick kids. They work multiple jobs often without day care. They can't get to the hospital. Many of the kids are traumatized. My kids get to go to the best school in this area of my state.

I think what you are missing is the impact of trauma, fetal alcohol, lack of medical care, lack of parents having the ability or the time to help with school. It is a real problem with no easy answers. It's easy to sit in middle class and look down. The middle class gets soaked by the upper class.

The so called nanny state isn't the answer. Neither is letting the masses figure it out. Education is a key component.

Even in Iowa one can see it easily. Kids from Council Bluffs have opportunity. It's not the same as growing up in Ankeny. Graduating from Nebraska Omaha ins't the same as Iowa and so on.

The truth is in between somewhere.

PCHawk, I don’t understand how anyone that has grown up in this country, regardless of education level, could think that in the situation described, that Joe would not be offended by the term “gorilla shampoo”? I am honestly baffled that you would believe that would not be what offended Joe or be the thing that most offended him.

Yes, a bully was mean to him. And he accomplished that by pointing out to a group of kids, some of whom were Joe’s friends, that he was sub-human in the eyes of the bully. And I will add to that, by saying that Joe and many, many others probably go through life every day wondering how many others feel that way and just don’t express it out loud.

I feel quite confident in saying that if you “highly doubt Joe was offended by the words...” you would be completely mistaken and I feel confident saying that without being able to read Joe’s mind. I won’t demonize you; I will just let you know you were wrong. Whether you choose to admit that to yourself or figure it out is up to you.

Thanks man. You said this a lot better than I could have and a lot more tactfully. I will demonize him. PC comes across as such an authority on shit he doesn't understand.

Throughout history beginning in the 1600's when they were kidnapped from their continent, they have been seen as sub-human. JFC do I need to re-post all the pictures of the Obama's from as recently as a few years ago that all the "bullies" thought were pretty funny. Hell probably still going on today because Donald gives them a stupid ass wink. Like they need it.

Last edited:
I think when you're a kid getting made fun of, it doesn't make a bit of difference what you're being made fun of about. As far as thinking it's not as bad to get made fun of for something you can control, one could argue the opposite. It could cut even deeper if it was something you knew you could control.

Wow. I don't know what to say to you anymore. You admitted in an earlier post you don't talk to many black people. Do you live in Schleswig or something? Go seek some out before you keep yapping like an authority on race. Please.

The single biggest factor for success in school is parental income. The level of income is most reliably predicted by the level of education. Now simply look at mean income for African Americans and compare it the mean income for white people. Circle back.

Willingness to take responsibility for your own successes or failures is a good predictor for success. Unfortunately, lower income individuals, minorities, and females are more willing to blame themselves for perceived failures and more often attribute their successes to luck, chance, or another individual.

The “locus of control” construct is pretty telling. Internal locus of control = higher levels of success; external locus of control, not so much.

The US is a very racist, sexist society. Sorry, but I have been a mature adult since the late sixties and I cannot find any evidence to the contrary. Sad. I try hard to avoid racist tendencies; I worked very hard to teach my children to do the right thing. I worked hard in my profession to provide leadership opportunities for women. We all need to commit to ourselves to do what we can.

Yes as long as we can at least form a sentence... and drag ourselves across the floor with 1 leg then we all have a shot in life lol

I love the fallacy being perpetuated by some of you that wealthy people are these brethren of self made hard workers. Yes there are some for sure that fall into that category, but there are a lot of wealthy people rolling around snorting up coke with endless amounts of money that they did anything to earn- besides coming out of the right testicle.

1. Hard working people of the earth.
2. People born into opportunity, affluence or wealth.

Who do you think runs the world?

First off. I would bet there are more of the non-wealthy “underserved” snorting coke than the wealthy.

Secondly Dude, it you knew my life story you’d be eating your words. I’ve lived my adult life (since 18 yrs of age) with no legs. I had to figure out my path at that time in my life and survive. Imagine the extent my job opportunities or career choices were cut. I am in one of the smallest minorities in society and have lived with multiple episodes of discrimination up close and personal as well on multiple levels. So I literally chuckled at your statement about one leg. F dude, you have no idea.