Miller: Dismal Finish

And the coaches won't change a damn thing either...they don't care that everybody knows what they will do all the time....that is the most frustrating thing ever...KF is the worst game coach in the B1G and it is not even close.

+1
nothing will change. Someone else will get a shot in the arm by hiring another former hawk named stoops, and we will have the same lame coaches kok and a parker (norm, or phil if norm retires). And we will, as always, be the least inspired team on the field any given saturday, and play not-to-lose on both sides of the ball, while other teams will throw the kitchen sink at us and keep us off-balance, while we sit back let it happen. Truly pathetic in-game coaching. No adjustments, EVER

"I think Kirk is smart enough to read the writing on the wall, and will make some changes in his staff after this year. With new blood coming in, he could realize a rebirth in the program, and finish his career here on an even higher level. Let's hope we see some changes in the off season."

Now this would be easy money on a bet. KF values his friendships with the coaches more than he does the Iowa football program. He will change NOTHING, no coaches, no style of play, NOTHING. And the Iowa football program will continue in its freefall.

Jon's right. Primary problem is offense.

Saying our offense is 'anemic' is an insult to anemics.

With superior talent, this offense will work. When our talent is average, it doesn't.

Jon's right. Primary problem is offense.

Saying our offense is 'anemic' is an insult to anemics.

With superior talent, this offense will work. When our talent is average, it doesn't.

I don't even think that is true anymore.
This offense is flat bad.

We are going to beat an average team in an average bowl and fans will be picking us to go to Indy next year

I think after what I have seen this season there are no guarantees about beating an average team.

Iowa will be so far under the radar next year it would take a moron to pick Iowa to Indy for anything other than sightseeing.

When you have complete job security and no desire to move up, why should you change anything? Just continue to cash the checks and skate by.
I think Kirk is smart enough to read the writing on the wall, and will make some changes in his staff after this year. With new blood coming in, he could realize a rebirth in the program, and finish his career here on an even higher level. Let's hope we see some changes in the off season.

As long as KF is the coach, KOK will be his offensive coordinator. smh..

I think Kirk is smart enough to read the writing on the wall, and will make some changes in his staff after this year. With new blood coming in, he could realize a rebirth in the program, and finish his career here on an even higher level. Let's hope we see some changes in the off season.

Kirk will not make any changes unless forced to (someone retires or leaves).

KOK won't go elsewhere...he has it made at Iowa.

Norm might retire, but Phil Parker will take over...same old-same old. There will be no "new blood".

My point is that with average talent, you have to play more to your strengths and get creative. We will not do that.

? What's your favorite ice cream?

KF: Vanilla

? Sprinkles?

KF: No, just vanilla.

? How about chocolate chips?

KF: Nope. I'm a vanilla only man.

? How about strawberries?

KF: Naw. Just love the vanilla.

It is kind of weird. With all the glitzy individual offensive stats a lot of people agree that the offense was the big problem this year.

Kirk will not make any changes unless forced to (someone retires or leaves).

KOK won't go elsewhere...he has it made at Iowa.

Norm might retire, but Phil Parker will take over...same old-same old. There will be no "new blood".
Didn't he (KOK) interview for some jobs last off season? I don't know if he was a serious candidate, but he did interview, right? I could be wrong, but he may take another job at some point. It may have to be some team that hasn't seen tape of this Neb game. :)

The losses to Minny and ISU hurt the most although with ISU beating OSU at home that one is put into perspective. Our team played 2.25 games of inspired football. 1 qtr against Pitt, the NW game, and the Mich game. We have been spoiled with great D LINE play the last 2 years and now we have to appreciate it. We need to get some DLINE help big time if we want to be in the mix in the BIG at all. I don't know who fills McNutt role next year but we will need CJ Fed and Davis to be great and we will need a game changer to mix in with Coker. Our O line should be ok, JVB will be better next year, Coker can get it done. We need a front 4 on D that can make some noise. Our early schedule next year could get some momentum going. Today was a horrible day.....mostly self induced, but it happens. We need to show up in the bowl game and get some solid recruits and keep the ones we have. Getting a Schutt from PSU would be huge and even better would be a JuCo DT OR 2.
This was a 7-5 or 8-4 team. Thats what most predicted at the beginning of the season who weren't drinking too much Kool aid

Take a couple weeks, get over it, and watch Iowa Wrestling kick some tail

Go Hawks

33, that was a great post!

**** happens and it happened against Minnesota and today. I tend to think that we got beat by a better team today. Many predicted a rebuilding year and I think that's what we've had. The vast majority of my life, I'm 79, we never got a sniff of a bowl game. We're going again this year. Am I content with a loss? Of course not, but let's put this into perspective. Most of you posters weren't even born yet during the stretch between Evashevski and Fry. Take a look at the won-loss record during that long, long, period and maybe you will understand.

Evy really had some great years. For 5 seasons from 1956-1960 Iowa had a record of 37-8. 4 of those losses were during the 1959 season,. Several of those years Iowa was ranked #1 at times during the season. Even in 1961 when Jerry Burns took over Iowa was ranked #1 a few games into the season, starting out 5-0 and finishing 5-4. Also Iowa won 3 Big Ten titles in those 5 years.

Too bad Evy didn't continue on as coach. Iowa was a perennial top ten program then.

Last edited:
And to think, at one time, "we" used to joke KF and Alford's teams played their best ball in November.

When this program gets an empty play on first down, more often than not it's a sign to cue the punt team. We've heard other teams talk about how predictable Iowa's offense has been through the years, and they are right.

This is what I'm coming to realize more and more. At times it's like the opponent knows exactly what's going to happen. Sometimes it even appears they are more prepared for the play than the Iowa offense is.

Very disappointing and frustrating season.

33, that was a great post!

**** happens and it happened against Minnesota and today. I tend to think that we got beat by a better team today. Many predicted a rebuilding year and I think that's what we've had. The vast majority of my life, I'm 79, we never got a sniff of a bowl game. We're going again this year. Am I content with a loss? Of course not, but let's put this into perspective. Most of you posters weren't even born yet during the stretch between Evashevski and Fry. Take a look at the won-loss record during that long, long, period and maybe you will understand.

For most of your life there was only one bowl to go to. And you only went to that when you won the conference. Later on there were some more to go to but in today's W/L era you would have to win 10-11 games to get to them. If we didn't have a watered down era of bowls KF would have prolly went to 3-4 bowl games in 13 years if that.

Latest posts