Miller: Dismal Finish

Me me me now now now - grow up! Real fans don't care what you idiots think and neither do the boosters. Thank god for this board - clown fans would love to drive Ferentz out of Iowa - win more than once a decade that way. Hop back on the bandwagon next year kids....hell lets hire a screamer, pay recruits, cheat ....what ever it takes to win now now now. Screw results all that matters is now now, screw loyalty, NCAA violations - who cares as long as we don't pay for them now now. Break out the bongs and bring in more bling now now.

Anytime you claim to be a real fan and call others to not be - whether you have a point or not you end up looking stupid.

Just a bit of advice dont preach about what a real fan is - it doesn't convince anyone else and just makes you look dumb for claiming to be one.

I think Kirk is smart enough to read the writing on the wall, and will make some changes in his staff after this year. With new blood coming in, he could realize a rebirth in the program, and finish his career here on an even higher level. Let's hope we see some changes in the off season.

Don't bet on it, KF is not that smart.

Do you know what Ferentz record is against ISU? I think Clone fans are fine with him here.

I'm cool with KF staying because I think his stubborness will have Iowa locked into mediocrity. That being said, the correct hire isn't easy to make and Iowa could do much worse and probably would.

I'm cool with KF staying because I think his stubborness will have Iowa locked into mediocrity. That being said, the correct hire isn't easy to make and Iowa could do much worse and probably would.
Mediocrity? You do realize that you root for a team that STRIVES for mediocrity...because that's the best they can be.

What game did you watch ? Nebraska owned the LOS on both sides of the ball.
Flat out dominated the LOS. That was the biggest difference in the game.

I don't believe this is true, or was true rather, for the entire game.

The thought of Gary Barta hiring a football coach is terrifying.

Why?

The first basketball coach he hired was the consensus COTY. Everyone thought it was a homerun hire, at least those outside of Iowa City did. Obviously it didn't work out, but you can't deny Lick's pedigree. He also had to hire the anti-Alford personality wise, as the fanbase had grown to literally hate him as a person, moreso than as a coach.

Fran is in his second year of maybe the biggest rebuilding job in CBB as to the ceiling of the program and where it is now.

KF is not Barta's coach and the FB program funds the entire AD. Don't think that Barta will fail to act if he legitimately thought that doing so was in Iowa's best interest.

Why?

The first basketball coach he hired was the consensus COTY. Everyone thought it was a homerun hire, at least those outside of Iowa City did. Obviously it didn't work out, but you can't deny Lick's pedigree. He also had to hire the anti-Alford personality wise, as the fanbase had grown to literally hate him as a person, moreso than as a coach.

Fran is in his second year of maybe the biggest rebuilding job in CBB as to the ceiling of the program and where it is now.

KF is not Barta's coach and the FB program funds the entire AD. Don't think that Barta will fail to act if he legitimately thought that doing so was in Iowa's best interest.

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm because there is no way a rational, intelligent human being can think that Gary Barta has any business hiring a football coach.

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm because there is no way a rational, intelligent human being can think that Gary Barta has any business hiring a football coach.

I would ask without the benefit of hindsight being 20/20 which coaching decision he blundered given the information he had at the time?

2001 7-5
2002 11-2 ranked 8th
2003 10-3 ranked 8th
2004 10-2 ranked 8th
2005 7-5
2006 6-7
2007 6-6
2008 9-4 ranked 20th
2009 11-2 ranked 7th
2010 8-5
2011 7-5
Ten straight bowl eligible seasons. Six January bowl games. Four top ten finishes. Longest tenure of all Big 10 coaches. Three time Big Ten coach of the year. In Ferentz's time here we've had players win the Outland Trophy, Lou Groza Award, Davey O'Brien Award, AP Player of the Year Award, John Mackey Award, Doak Walker Award, and runner-up for the Heisman Trophy. Tons of national recognition and respect. High percentage of seniors drafted or signed to NFL contracts. Overall, 75%+ graduation rate tops nearly all other Top 20 Football schools. Staff stability is stated by most recruits as very important and one of the main reasons why they want to attend Iowa. Highest level of respect from NFL & college coaches and players. Loyal and generous to the University of Iowa. Represents Iowa with class while running a clean honest program. Treats fans, players, coaches, opponents, media respectfully. We've finished in the top ten nearly 1/2 of the last ten years. Actually allowed Iowa fans to realistically dream of a national title - unheard of at Iowa.Thrilling wins, Iowa pride! We are competitive in every game, even when we lose. Our average success on the field is surpassed by only a handful of programs during Ferentz's tenure and he's accomplished this at Iowa despite all the disadvantages Iowa has compared to traditional powers. His performance is in line with or exceeds the other highly paid college coaches. In today's college football environment - parity is common. He has taken us to the top levels and gotten us back to the top level while never stumbling to the bottom. We have the most young talent/athleticism along with super incoming talent and depth that Iowa's ever had on it's roster. The future is very bright. If you can't see the light...pull your head out of your.....fanatic.

So in the past 7 seasons, we've had 2 top 25 seasons and ZERO Big Ten championships? Kirk was worth $3.4 million back in 2004, no doubt but if that was market value for him then, then Gene Chizik, Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Nick Saban should be worth $8-10 million now. Kirk's market value as you've shown here, isn't equating anymore.

So in the past 7 seasons, we've had 2 top 25 seasons and ZERO Big Ten championships? Kirk was worth $3.4 million back in 2004, no doubt but if that was market value for him then, then Gene Chizik, Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Nick Saban should be worth $8-10 million now. Kirk's market value as you've shown here, isn't equating anymore.

Agreed - KF's run from 1999-2004 definitely earned him the type of money he is getting. Problem is, we haven't seen nearly that type of production since then other than the last half of 2008 and 2009. That's only a year and a half of good/great football in the past 7 years.

The big question in my mind is "where do we go from here?" Are we going to just be a 7-5 program going forward, or more like a 9-10+ win program program like we were from 2002-04, and 2008/09? Will the program bounce back yet again?

It's not time for KF to move on yet (IMO) but I'm definitely curious as to which direction this thing is headed. A couple more years of 6 or 7 win football and I may be singing a different tune. To avoid this, I firmly believe some philosophy tweaking is needed by this coaching staff.

Oh my gawd, the money argument again. Find something new guys, the money argument is old and it is stupid.

Iowa fans had been looking forward to Friday's game against Nebraska since the game was announced in early September 2010. They had been looking forward to it with great passion.

Apparently the Iowa offense chose to overlook it entirely as it was its own worst enemy.

Here's a quick summary:

-Iowa had run just 36 plays with 11:25 to play. Nebraska running back Rex Burkhead had 38 touches himself at that point and had also out gained Iowa's entire offense at that point (174-157).
-James Vandenberg was just 8-16 for 83 yards at that point and Taylor Martinez had thrown for over 160.

That's about all you need to know. The box score will not represent how poorly the Iowa offense played on this day. They couldn't make a play or get out of their own way. Sure, Marcus Coker was not 100 percent, but who is this time of year? Burkhead wore a boot at times this week leading up to the game.

It didn't help that Mika'il McCall did not make the trip or that Jordan Canzeri had an injury. But apparently a 70-percent Coker is better than a 100-percent anyone else.

Some may point a finger at the Iowa defense, but they did more than enough through two and a half quarters. This was a failure by the offense (sound familiar?). In the third quarter with Iowa down 13-0, the Hawks had 2nd and 2. They wound up punting and there were no penalties. Iowa also chose to punt twice in the first half when the offense had the ball fourth and long inside the Nebraska 40.

If there is one word that describes this game for me, it would be stale. Perhaps that's also a word that sums up the 2011 Iowa football season more than any other.

The offense never found consistency this year from week to week. The defense was undermanned up front and still played well enough for this team to win nine football games; they lost in three overtimes and to Minnesota by one-point.

The offense was expected to be the highlight and it turned out to be the most frustrating aspect. It ended the regular season with it's lights turned off, the engine barely running.

How can you have a running back turn in the 4th best single season rushing total in school history, a wide receiver have more than 1,200 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns and quarterback throw for 23 touchdowns to just five interceptions and scratch out just seven wins against a very manageable schedule and it not be on the defense?

We just saw it.

When this program gets an empty play on first down, more often than not it's a sign to cue the punt team. We've heard other teams talk about how predictable Iowa's offense has been through the years, and they are right.

However, the Iowa offensive line won its battle of the line of scrimmage on Friday, but the skill positions players could not make plays when it mattered.

In 2011, this offense mostly beat up on the cupcakes and barely fired on half its cylinders on the road or against good to great defenses. There weren't many great defenses on the schedule, just two of them in fact and Iowa lost those games (at Penn State and home vs Michigan State) by double digits.

Here's how I see it; if Iowa didn't have one of the more favorable schedules in recent memory they may have been a sub .500 football team. Per the NCAA stats, Iowa had the 55th 'toughest' schedule out of 120 teams in the FBS coming into the Nebraska game.

Is the program at another crossroads point? Is there a need to mix things up on the coaching staff? Is there a need to tweak things philosophically on offense and defense? Is a seven win season cause for great alarm?

Those are just a few of the questions Iowa fans are asking right now.

There will be plenty of time to dissect this season and we'll certainly do that over the course of the next nine months.

Iowa will have a bowl game to play, likely in Dallas or Houston and against a Big 12 opponent with a high powered offense. My guess is there won't be a great deal of excitement surrounding that one.

Sure, Iowa fans will watch the game, some will go to the game and everyone will cheer the Hawkeyes to win.

But after it's over, September of 2012 will feel as though it's five years away as this will be a long, long off season.

You're right, this administration probably would do much worse.

OK. How about the performance argument?

Debate that all you want. But personally I will take 7-5 in a bad year. Hayden Fry had bad years but always figured out a way to get us back challenging for the Rose Bowl. These freshman are good and there is a good chance this recruiting class will be really good. Get this defensive line back to where it used to be and Iowa will be right back challenging for the Big Ten again.

But the fact is what Iowa is paying KF is irrelevant to anything. The amount you pay a coach has no reflection on wins and losses.

Well put Jon I can't even comment on your comments because they are100% dead solid perfect. Despite some struggles early the D played well enough this year to gives a 9 win season. The coaching staff better take a good hard look. In the mirror. Or are they too narcissistic to realize their "stale" failings and effectively game plan? It almost as though KOK blew the dust off the PSU game and said I'm going to take the holidays off....this ought to be good enough.

Latest posts