Miller: Dismal Finish

Agreed - KF's run from 1999-2004 definitely earned him the type of money he is getting. Problem is, we haven't seen nearly that type of production since then other than the last half of 2008 and 2009. That's only a year and a half of good/great football in the past 7 years.

The big question in my mind is "where do we go from here?" Are we going to just be a 7-5 program going forward, or more like a 9-10+ win program program like we were from 2002-04, and 2008/09? Will the program bounce back yet again?

It's not time for KF to move on yet (IMO) but I'm definitely curious as to which direction this thing is headed. A couple more years of 6 or 7 win football and I may be singing a different tune. To avoid this, I firmly believe some philosophy tweaking is needed by this coaching staff.

I question why this program needs to be bouncing back every few years. Ferentz has been at Iowa long enough that there should be reloading, not rebuilding. Young defensive players learning against the starting offense, honed and ready to play their junior and senior years, and the same for the offense. There's a major gap in talent. How did this happen? I wonder if Iowa's window of opportunity to become a major player in the conference every year closed with the tepid 2005-2007 years.

In the meantime, the staff needs to figure out how they can win with the talent they have - this means innovating some new schemes on offense (like the no huddle) and defense until they can get back the type of players that fit into their more familiar modes of defense and offense.

I remember watching the Miami Hurricanes through the 80's and some of the 90's having swagger and intensity. They brought it to the field. I wished Iowa brought this type of 'game' to the field, regardless of what Miami stands for, Iowa needs this kind of cocky attitude and meaness.

And, just like last year....because most "fans" are fairweather....a win in a bowl game heals all wounds. People are so fickle on these boards. One minute, we're moving in the right direction with the greatest coaching staff, and the next we're wanting to change everything because we lost.

At what point this season were the majority saying we we're "moving in the right direction with the greatest coaching staff?" Because I'm pretty sure that the majority of people that are willing to open their eyes have been frustrated week after week.

I question why this program needs to be bouncing back every few years. Ferentz has been at Iowa long enough that there should be reloading, not rebuilding. Young defensive players learning against the starting offense, honed and ready to play their junior and senior years, and the same for the offense. There's a major gap in talent. How did this happen? I wonder if Iowa's window of opportunity to become a major player in the conference every year closed with the tepid 2005-2007 years.

In the meantime, the staff needs to figure out how they can win with the talent they have - this means innovating some new schemes on offense (like the no huddle) and defense until they can get back the type of players that fit into their more familiar modes of defense and offense.

What about the Hayden Fry years? Ever wonder why his teams needed reloading? You ever why teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, USC, Florida, Florida State rarely need to reload? I can't help but wonder how great Iowa would be if this state had 10 million people living in it and produced 100 D1 recruits every year.

Those of you that think Iowa should be performing at the top of the Big Ten every year and never have reloading years are rooting for the wrong team.

Latest posts