Mexico plays Brazil to stunning 0-0 tie!

Hawkeyerick

That is the headline on espn right now. And soccer snobs wonder why the sport just can't quite get traction in the USA. Some guy on murph and Andy today was saying that in 10 to 20 years soccer will be one of our most popular sports. We have been hearing it for 40 years now...but you can see all the stunning saves on espn.com.

I don't get why people feel the need to bash soccer. We get it you're "trendy' you don't like the most watched, most played and most gambled on sport in the world.

The technical term is "perfect scoreline" or something like that. It was a monumental upset by a team that had been in the worst forms of its last thirty years or longer. Mexico only snuck into the WC and was expecting a quick exit. This is the best performance by El Tri in a long time, and they have boatloads of fans in Iowa.

There is also the logistical aspect of having one of the biggest games of the opening round in one of the smallest towns with a tiny airport and minimal infrastructure.

I don't follow Mexican soccer, but I am pretty sure the goalkeeper went from total unknown to overnight superstar in Mexico yesterday.

I don't get why people feel the need to bash soccer. We get it you're "trendy' you don't like the most watched, most played and most gambled on sport in the world.

Naw Id say the super trendy people are all the dopes that act if they are big soccer fans right now.

It seems to me that OP doesn't just hate soccer. He seems to hate that other people like soccer.

That's an immature attitude.

/I know, I know, welcome to the internet...

I find it funny when people become huge sports fans for days at a time. Like the day of the superbowl I find out how many of my friends are huge fans of one of the teams in the superbowl. Or the for me in michigan the day of the michigan msu game everyone is a huge football fan. Now almost all of my friends are huge soccer fans now yet I doubt 90% of them could name one player.

I find it funny when people become huge sports fans for days at a time. Like the day of the superbowl I find out how many of my friends are huge fans of one of the teams in the superbowl. Or the for me in michigan the day of the michigan msu game everyone is a huge football fan. Now almost all of my friends are huge soccer fans now yet I doubt 90% of them could name one player.

Pele.

Who cares? They're rooting for their country.

Just a guess, but the "stunning" part might have something to do with the fact Brazil was the host nation and had absolutely dominated teams from outside South America or Europe in the World Cup. Despite a lame attempt to stir the pot, what Mexico accomplished was impressive.

It's probably the most corrupt sport in the world too.

The main issue I have with soccer besides there not being enough scoring, is that the referees have wayyy too much power and control on the game. I like more structured sports where there's a clock that everybody can see, instead of one guy holding the say so on when the game actually ends.

Another thing that I find dumb about soccer is off-sides. If a defender lets an offensive player get behind him then that's his own bad. Just another thing to cut down on scoring because again, who wants to see too much scoring in a sport? I know defensive struggles in football are highly desired...

The main issue I have with soccer besides there not being enough scoring, is that the referees have wayyy too much power and control on the game. I like more structured sports where there's a clock that everybody can see, instead of one guy holding the say so on when the game actually ends.

Another thing that I find dumb about soccer is off-sides. If a defender lets an offensive player get behind him then that's his own bad. Just another thing to cut down on scoring because again, who wants to see too much scoring in a sport? I know defensive struggles in football are highly desired...

Or, this is what happens if you lose in soccer............

http://worldsoccer.about.com/od/Soccer-History/a/The-Andres-Escobar-Murder.htm

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

No need to thank me, just pay it forward.

Latest posts