Luke Garza Hype Train

This roster is literally...begging for an elite PG...
Actually I think we should thank our stars we have a PG who is a lights out shooter like JBo. If we didn't this team would be very weak on 3pt shooters. That and his ability to feed the post are perfect fits on this team loaded with post players.

How many of these elite PGs are there out there? What do they look like? Are they easy to get?

Last edited:
I know this is probably picking nits, but I think Acie Earl was a much better offensive player as a young guy than either Rucker or Payne...he just didn't get to show it because he was behind Jepsen and Bullard who were seniors. However, I think he proved how good he was in his Sophomore year when he avg'd over 16ppg.

Are you serious? Do you remember how uncoordinated a freshman Acie Earl was?

Actually I think we should thank our stars we have a PG who is a lights out shooter like JBo. If we didn't this team would be very weak on 3pt shooters. That and his ability to feed the post are perfect fits on this team loaded with post players.

How many of these elite PGs are there out there? What do they look like? Are they easy to get?

If they are elite, I would say there can't be more than 10-15 of them each year.

The elite ones typically receive some kind of P5 conference honors and make big plays in big games. They tend to shine the brightest when he game is on the line and make their teammates better. If Iowa could only find one of those...

On can be a fan of JB...and still hope for an athletic, elite PG...to put the program on a higher upside nationally.

It is what is lacking and separates the haves from the have-nots in college BB.

If they are elite, I would say there can't be more than 10-15 of them each year.

There were 14 4* PG last year. I tracked them all year long, and this is how Jordan stacked up against them:

Freshly updated number (March 20th) of Jordan Bohannon vs the 15 4* PG from the class of 2016:

Jordan 5th now at 10.9 PPG
Jordan 2nd in Assists at 5.1 PPG
Jordan 2nd in eFG% at 53.5%
Jordan 5th in Orate at 112.2
Jordan 7th in PER 14.9

So out of 15 4* Pg and Jordan (15 total players as Gilbert was out for the season with an injury), Jordan finished in the upper half of all the stats that I was tracking all season long. Jordan ended up easily beating Charlie in APG & PER, and crushed him in eFG%, and Orate

The top elite PGs burn the lower level PGs off the dribble and in many other ways that aren't easily tracked by raw numbers...however...to the eye...one can easily see those teams which have "it" and those who don't. We need the "it"...while also appreciating JB...and what he brings.

Elite PGs put tremendous pressure on the defenses they face...if no one can match up to their athletic abilities.

They can also lock down the play makers on the other end...clogging up the flow.

Iowa faces this when they play "elite" teams.

It is an old story...that isn't that complicated.

The top elite PGs burn the lower level PGs off the dribble and in many other ways that aren't easily tracked by raw numbers...however...to the eye...one can easily see those teams which have "it" and those who don't. We need the "it"...while also appreciating JB...and what he brings.

Elite PGs put tremendous pressure on the defenses they face...if no one can match up to their athletic abilities.

They can also lock down the play makers on the other end...clogging up the flow.

Iowa faces this when they play "elite" teams.

It is an old story...that isn't that complicated.

I agree with a lot of what you said - but Jordan has "it" ... in fact, without having "it" I don't know what else he'd have.

I agree with a lot of what you said - but Jordan has "it" ... in fact, without having "it" I don't know what else he'd have.

Exactly. Some just refuse to see it because he is a step slow. Just think about how hard it is to do what he did while being a step slow? He put up better numbers than 50% of the 4* "elite PG" all while being too slow, too small, and not explosive enough for some. Well going off for 11 and 5 is pretty freaking good for a kid who can't play PG according to them.

Who said he can't play PG? He does well...love him on the team...

Elite PGs bring intangibles...to big games, vs top tier talent...

Against 80% of opponents it isn't that big of a deal...

Who said he can't play PG? He does well...love him on the team...

Elite PGs bring intangibles...to big games, vs top tier talent...

Against 80% of opponents it isn't that big of a deal...

I guess I shouldn't put words in your mouth. I get what you are saying about PG, but I think some just have this unrealistic expectation that PG just come in and start producing from day 1. So instead of assuming, how do you define an "elite PG"?

Like I said there were 14 4* PG last year, and Jordan outproduced 50% of those guys. I'd say all of them were quicker, more explosive, and way better athletes than Jordan. The majority of them played on better teams than Iowa was last year. Why couldn't they produce better numbers, especially shooting % if they are always blowing past defenders and getting tot he rim so easily? If it is so easy, why aren't all these highly ranked PG just killing it?

This roster is literally...begging for an elite PG...
An elite pg that hogs the ball and forces shots up for himself a lot? I think JBo can lead this group just fine. He'll have games where he doesn't shoot much at all and others he will just depending on the defense. But the one thing JBo isn't is a ball hog where the ball stops when it gets to him. He's very much so a team first PG. Which will work just fine. With this group of guys we don't need a PG that wants to try and score 20 every night himself. I think JBo is capable of scoring a lot sometimes we've seen that, but I bet he'll end up averaging between 12 and 14 tops this yr.

I agree with everyone saying that Jordan doesn't have a ton of elite attributes that you want in your PG, but what he has is "it" and that makes up for the rest. Plus, I think he's going to be leader. One that Iowa has severely lacked since Fran has been here.

On can be a fan of JB...and still hope for an athletic, elite PG...to put the program on a higher upside nationally.

It is what is lacking and separates the haves from the have-nots in college BB.
UW has been to at least the sweet 16 for the last 7 seasons, including two final fours. They have not had an elite PG in that time or a real penetrating PG in that time. Care to refute that?

UW has been to at least the sweet 16 for the last 7 seasons, including two final fours. They have not had an elite PG in that time or a real penetrating PG in that time. Care to refute that?

It's just too easy to say the one thing we have never had is the one thing we have to have. If Uthoff would have kept up his great play a couple years ago, we would have won the Big 10 and been a 1 or 2 seed, all without an elite point guard.

As stated...elite PG isn't needed much for the majority of Iowa's schedule...but when Iowa plays against talent...more often than not, Iowa is mismatched, confused, and goes down, hard. There are exceptions of course.

This is also true of the football team...lots of wins, great season, then a game vs a top level team...a pathetic blowout, embarrassing...

Iowa needs more athletic talent to get to the upper levels...not hating on the current players...just the way I see it...it is a common narrative...painful, but not surprising.

Things can change...things can get better...I think they might with Fran...he inherited a mess...and is digging out.

He also needs to bring his A game...to the court...he has been average...and often out-coached...But...really like him as coach.

Latest posts