Luke Garza Hype Train

Ronnie Lester mention. Cha-ching.

Man, we win the national championship had Louisville not taken him out of the game. Cheap bastards.

Funny you should say that because I was just thinking if Fran had Ronnie Lester on the squad he now has we would be talking final four.

I really like Moss and was impressed with him even as a freshmen. I really like his explosiveness to the the rim and how he can put the ball in the hole even after significant contact. If he can become consistant with his outside shot then he has tremendous potential.

I compare Pemsl to Greg Brunner. A big body who is good at using it and finishes well at the rim. Brunner was one of the best players on a team that earned a 3 seed in the tourney (I forget what happened after that) and Pemsl is going to have to fight to earn minutes on this team. Could you imagine Brunner having to fight for minutes on that team because there were better options?

All this "potential best ever" talk and then there is Nunge who has the tools to have an incredible career too.

No I couldn't imagine Brunner having to fight for minutes as there is not a real comparison.

JoBo one of the best? Seriously? Iowa has had some darn good point guards. JoBo will never be that. That said, he is quite good at what he is good at. Not well rounded at all as a P5 pg. Good enough for Iowa to contend for the Big and be a force in the Dance in a year? Of course.

Sounds promising. I have not seen him play yet beyond offensive highlights. On a scale of 1 to 10 how is he on defense?

Sounds promising. I have not seen him play yet beyond offensive highlights. On a scale of 1 to 10 how is he on defense?

In what I've seen, I haven't noticed any issues on D. He's a big body but he's a freshman so I'm sure there will be some bumps in the road as he adjusts to the next level of play where the defensive rotations need to be realized and executed quicker.

He won't be an Andre Woolridge. He probably won't be one of the best as far as individual players go, but he will be one of the best at running the offense efficiently. This is the perfect team for him to be on too.

As far as pulling the D out with shots, he'll be one of the best. He'll end up one of the best pure shooting PG's at Iowa. As you state, the perfect team for that kind of player. Hit long shots and take care of the ball and distribute it.

As far as pulling the D out with shots, he'll be one of the best. He'll end up one of the best pure shooting PG's at Iowa. As you state, the perfect team for that kind of player. Hit long shots and take care of the ball and distribute it.

Elite at spreading the ball and elite at feeding the post. There are Iowa teams in the past where Bohannon would look like an average player. But the way this team fits around him, he will look like one of the best.

No I couldn't imagine Brunner having to fight for minutes as there is not a real comparison.

JoBo one of the best? Seriously? Iowa has had some darn good point guards. JoBo will never be that. That said, he is quite good at what he is good at. Not well rounded at all as a P5 pg. Good enough for Iowa to contend for the Big and be a force in the Dance in a year? Of course.

I'm not sure what your first sentence means. What I meant was Brunner was a good enough player to help lead Iowa to a really good season but if he was on this team, he probably wouldn't even start this year.

I'm not sure what your first sentence means. What I meant was Brunner was a good enough player to help lead Iowa to a really good season but if he was on this team, he probably wouldn't even start this year.

Greg Brunner not start? No way... You need to reduce the hopium prescription dose.

It's not far fetched to think Cook is better than him or that Garza makes a better 5. It's not even far fetched to say a healthy Pemsl could be as good.

It's not far fetched at all IMO - Iowa's roster, specifically front court is IMO again, much more talented, crowded then Brunner's teams.

It's not far fetched at all IMO - Iowa's roster, specifically front court is IMO again, much more talented, crowded then Brunner's teams.

My guess is that the teams are pretty darn similar, which actually means Iowa has been coming back. The next step remains to be seen. And I do disagree on playing time.

2002/2003

Player Class Pos Height Summary
Brody Boyd
JR G 5-11 9.7 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 1.4 Ast
Greg Brunner FR F 6-7 7.5 Pts, 5.2 Reb, 1.5 Ast
Greg Dollmeyer FR F 6-7 1.0 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Jeff Horner FR G 6-3 8.2 Pts, 4.4 Reb, 4.5 Ast
Josh Kimm SR G 6-1 0.4 Pts, 0.4 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Chauncey Leslie SR G 6-0 15.8 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 2.9 Ast
Jared Reiner JR C 6-11 9.7 Pts, 8.2 Reb, 1.4 Ast
Sean Sonderleiter JR C 6-9 8.5 Pts, 4.0 Reb, 1.0 Ast
Kurt Spurgeon JR F 6-5 1.0 Pts, 0.8 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Chris Warren FR G 6-3 0.4 Reb
Glen Worley JR F 6-7 10.9 Pts, 5.2 Reb, 1.5 A

03/04
Player Class Pos Height Summary
Brody Boyd
SR G 5-11 11.1 Pts, 2.0 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Jack Brownlee JR G 6-0 0.4 Pts, 0.2 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Greg Brunner SO F 6-7 10.9 Pts, 8.2 Reb, 1.5 Ast
Nick DeWitz SO F 6-8 5.1 Pts, 3.5 Reb, 1.0 Ast
Erek Hansen SO C 6-11 2.1 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Mike Henderson FR G 6-2 3.2 Pts, 1.8 Reb, 1.3 Ast
Jeff Horner SO G 6-3 13.0 Pts, 5.3 Reb, 4.2 Ast
Pierre Pierce SO G 6-4 16.1 Pts, 5.7 Reb, 3.7 Ast
Ben Rand FR G 6-6 0.8 Pts, 0.8 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Jared Reiner SR C 6-11 10.5 Pts, 7.2 Reb, 1.5 Ast
Sean Sonderleiter SR C 6-9 5.4 Pts, 4.4 Reb, 1.2 Ast
Kurt Spurgeon SR F 6-5 0.9 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Glen Worley SR F 6-7 8.1 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 1.2 Ast

04/05
J.R. Angle FR G 6-7 0.9 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Jack Brownlee SR G 6-0 1.0 Pts, 0.4 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Greg Brunner JR F 6-7 14.7 Pts, 8.3 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Seth Gorney FR C 7-0 0.7 Pts, 1.0 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Adam Haluska SO G 6-5 14.2 Pts, 4.0 Reb, 1.6 Ast
Erek Hansen JR C 6-11 4.8 Pts, 2.7 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Mike Henderson SO G 6-2 4.9 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 1.2 Ast
Jeff Horner JR G 6-3 14.0 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 5.5 Ast
Pierre Pierce JR G 6-4 17.8 Pts, 5.2 Reb, 4.2 Ast
Carlton Reed FR G 6-4 2.6 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.8 Ast
Doug Thomas FR 4.6 Pts, 4.8 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Alex Thompson FR F 6-10 1.6 Pts, 2.0 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Justin Wieck JR F 6-6 0.2 Pts, 0.1 Reb, 0.1 Ast

I forgot about Jared Reiner... He wasn't too bad either for a couple years there....
I would love to have seen Cook, Brunner, Pemsl and Wagner go at it in practice. Brunner would hold his own at times I'm sure and probably get beat some. I think Cook physically is just a freak of an athlete and in a way Wagner is too but he's just not a natural basketball player out there. Brunner was a basketball player that knew how to rebound by using good technique along with effort. Something Cook could really learn from...

Seeing Worleys name makes me want to puke. The guy I don't feel improved one bit from the first day he got on campus. As far as his game goes. His JR year he did ok but man he came in with some hype and never lived up to it.

I forgot about Jared Reiner... He wasn't too bad either for a couple years there....
I would love to have seen Cook, Brunner, Pemsl and Wagner go at it in practice. Brunner would hold his own at times I'm sure and probably get beat some. I think Cook physically is just a freak of an athlete and in a way Wagner is too but he's just not a natural basketball player out there. Brunner was a basketball player that knew how to rebound by using good technique along with effort. Something Cook could really learn from...

Seeing Worleys name makes me want to puke. The guy I don't feel improved one bit from the first day he got on campus. As far as his game goes. His JR year he did ok but man he came in with some hype and never lived up to it.

I can't argue about the hype around Glenn. At the time of his signing he was dubbed among the highest recruit to wear an Iowa uniform. Turned out to be quite average at best. That class along with Luke's transfer from Indiana was ranked a top five recruiting class. Luke could really shoot the ball but the class as a whole were quite average.

I got a kick out of Luke transferring. I was living in Logansport Indiana and I worked with a lot of Indiana fans. Before Luke decided to transfer he was the Hoosier golden boy. I remember the day Luke announced he was transferring. I watched my co-workers crying in their dinner plate as they lamented the Luke would soon be a Hawkeye. I had to step into the men's locker room so I could roll on the floor from splitting a gut. Indiana fans > :( Me > :D

Absolutely awesome! Can't wait to see him in the Big Ten.

Also, going into the 2nd half of today's game (didn't see final stats), Moss was 9-12 from 3.
Let's hope the train doesn't go off the rails or at least get sidetracked, a la Payne or Rucker.

Before the trip Nunge was the talk, and after the trip its all Garza. Its a lot easier to adjust the closer you are to the basket. There are a couple of players that have gone under the radar. Moss and Ellingson have had good years so far. Bohannon is playing around with trying to develop his offense closer to the basket. The six nine guy from
Missouri is going to have a great year. It sounds like Iowa will be pretty tough this year.

I can't argue about the hype around Glenn. At the time of his signing he was dubbed among the highest recruit to wear an Iowa uniform. Turned out to be quite average at best. That class along with Luke's transfer from Indiana was ranked a top five recruiting class. Luke could really shoot the ball but the class as a whole were quite average.

I got a kick out of Luke transferring. I was living in Logansport Indiana and I worked with a lot of Indiana fans. Before Luke decided to transfer he was the Hoosier golden boy. I remember the day Luke announced he was transferring. I watched my co-workers crying in their dinner plate as they lamented the Luke would soon be a Hawkeye. I had to step into the men's locker room so I could roll on the floor from splitting a gut. Indiana fans > :( Me > :D
Yeah that team underachieved to state the obvious that's for sure..
Recker lives in Iowa still I believe. I have a cousin that used to work with him he sells medical equipment I think for Stryker. He had a ton to try and live up to in Indiana don't blame him for wanting to get out of there. They thought he was gonna be the next Damon Bailey or Alford... After his accident he wasn't quite the same guy but he sure wasn't bad either. He just never quite turned into that next level stud some thought he would

Latest posts