Louisville basketball should be given death penalty if bombshell NCAA allegations prove true

I know this is simply an internet forum, but statements like these are pretty reckless and unnecessary. Unless or until something comes out that our coaches were funneling money to players or there is a lot of circumstantial evidence like we all of a sudden start pulling in top tier guys that aren't the coach's sons or located in the state of Iowa, it might be best to stop throwing shit against the wall and thinking(hoping) it sticks....
Lots of other coaches and programs have been mentioned in this and the other similar threads, but it only bothers you when it's your bff's on the Iowa staff? Spare us your fake "innocent until proven quilty" concerns.

reckless? We're having a discussion on a message board dude, take a step back. I am just giving MY opinion and after having discussions with someone who still coaches and played - the issue runs rampant across the board. And it has NOTHING to do with top tier guys...but hey, Fran DID suddenly increase the recruiting at Iowa almost over night didn't he?

Overnight? Did it really seem overnight to you? McCaffery has been here seven full years and it was only last season that he actually snared a top level talent that wasn't already destined for Iowa. Maybe it was the "birthday cake bribe" that won Cook over.

I was worried there was some funny business going on back when Tyler Smith came to Iowa. Of course that was Mr Alford... I'm really not as worried about Fran. It wouldn't knock me on the floor surprise me (because most of the college Bball world is involved with it) but it would surprise me a little bit if Fran were guilty of anything similar to what's going on.

Overnight? Did it really seem overnight to you? McCaffery has been here seven full years and it was only last season that he actually snared a top level talent that wasn't already destined for Iowa. Maybe it was the "birthday cake bribe" that won Cook over.

It did seem that way to me... I don't think Mike Gesell and Woodbury were destined to be Hawkeyes before Fran arrived. I certainly KNOW Uthoff wasn't. IMO - Iowa is recruiting very well, playing well and has a program that is envious which makes it easier to keep the kids "destined" to come to Iowa in state. That's absolutely NOT always been the case even when Tom and Steve were here.

Lots of other coaches and programs have been mentioned in this and the other similar threads, but it only bothers you when it's your bff's on the Iowa staff? Spare us your fake "innocent until proven quilty" concerns.
I'll spare you that when you spare us your faux fandom...deal?

It seemed hoiberg had a lot of connections, while Fran seemed to struggle. It must be pretty disheartening to recruit a guy for a few years, and have some dirty program come in and take the guy away. Unless they really make them pay for their crap, it will never change. We live in a world where money talks though.

Sit back, relax....get some popcorn and enjoy the entertainment. No one here knows much of anything. Some are nervous. Some are confident.

This is the team that took dowm Enron. They took down some Big Mafia fish.

This could be far and wide.

Ive always wondered about the KF deal and why. Maybe the AD was just stupid. Maybe he was smart. Maybe Iowa is clean.

Lots of maybes. For surevwill be interesting entertaiment.

I imagie the are a lot of nervous people.

1 in 100 people federally charged get off scott free. That is a huge point.

Sit back, relax....get some popcorn and enjoy the entertainment. No one here knows much of anything. Some are nervous. Some are confident.

This is the team that took dowm Enron. They took down some Big Mafia fish.

This could be far and wide.

Ive always wondered about the KF deal and why. Maybe the AD was just stupid. Maybe he was smart. Maybe Iowa is clean.

Lots of maybes. For surevwill be interesting entertaiment.

I imagie the are a lot of nervous people.

1 in 100 people federally charged get off scott free. That is a huge point.

The KF deal?

A contract extension that made no sense.

Too late Bob

I don't have issues with people who have issues with his contract, I just didn't understand how it got brought up in this investigation on college basketball thread. FWIW - I think in hindsight, his contract is pretty solid, going rate for a guy who runs a clean program, wins consistently and continues to take Iowa to heights that other programs on similar footing would kill for. Take Nebraska for example... they're about to be paying 3 coaches contracts.

I don't have issues with people who have issues with his contract, I just didn't understand how it got brought up in this investigation on college basketball thread. FWIW - I think in hindsight, his contract is pretty solid, going rate for a guy who runs a clean program, wins consistently and continues to take Iowa to heights that other programs on similar footing would kill for. Take Nebraska for example... they're about to be paying 3 coaches contracts.

The arrests were basketball. Basketball doesn't stand alone.

The news the past week is interesting. My point is no dif than yours.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ferentz-coach-contract-iowa-hawkeyes-football

I would say that Fran's recruiting has taken a notable uptick in the last two seasons- Cook in the last class and Garza and Nunge in this one. How the Charlie Moore recruitment went down showed me that Fran will only play the game up to a certain point and doesn't seem all that comfortable with it. That doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't play to some limited extent.

There seems plenty of middle ground between the scumbags like Pitino and Pearl who jump into bed with the shoe companies with open arms and squeaky clean. I would guess that most college basketball programs fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum in order to compete. Not a happy thought to ponder but probably reality in such a corrupt system. It rains in money in college basketball with the shoe contracts- the subject of an article I read on the heels of this from a sports writer in Charlotte, NC who should know.

Last edited:
reckless? We're having a discussion on a message board dude, take a step back. I am just giving MY opinion and after having discussions with someone who still coaches and played - the issue runs rampant across the board. And it has NOTHING to do with top tier guys...but hey, Fran DID suddenly increase the recruiting at Iowa almost over night didn't he?

When I read the original ESPN story on how this went down, it was clear that these practices are rampant in college basketball. I started questioning if Iowa could possibly be clean when everyone else seems dirty. But then it struck me: there is no market to pay players without obvious future pro potential.

Everything is being driven by the agent/shoe company that pays Athlete A today in hopes of representing him as a client in 2-4 years. The return on investment is reaped when Athlete A signs that nice contract (especially that first extension) and the commission is paid.

Now, these agents will cast a fairly wide net because they can afford to miss on a bunch in hopes of landing one or two. But I doubt this extends out of the top 50 or so players in any recruiting class. I don't think Iowa has had anyone in the top 50 range in recent history.

From reading the details of the investigation, it is hard to believe any school can land a top 10 recruit without paying for him.

No. The complaint on this board is that it took him too long. So if he's a cheater, then he's a bad cheater.

More likely, the stigma of boring BB finally wore off and his two sons are quality BB players which led to relationships being built.

I don't believe everybody does it.

Asked about it today - FM said they have nothing to worry about - they are completely clean and they have turned in other programs they thought were dirty. WOW.

well, I am completely satisfied with that answer.

Latest posts