Losing Snyder HUGE Blow: Who Is At Fault

Good luck Brandon at SDSU. Lack of foot speed made him a "tweener" B10/ Mac player from the get-go so he should settle right in and be able to contribute at SDSU.

Was only going to see the Iowa field as a special teams player this year. Others on depth chart passed him by.

Just talked to a co-worker from Larchwood who knows the family (I live and work about 20 minutes from there).

According to him Snyder was told no more drinking, agreed to it, and got boozed up at a party recently. Doyle caught wind of it and asked the leadership group what they thought should happen. He was voted to be kicked off the team outright, not just off the leadership group. This is strictly what I heard from a co-worker. I have no proof whatsoever so it's worth what you paid for it. The person who told me I've known since high school because I played his kids in baseball; I trust him but you don't have to.

If true, the U will probably look a lot worse by not disclosing it because it's going to come out pretty soon anyway.

Do I have it right, @deanvogs ?
Doyle now has a son on the team sooo the coaches have an ear to the ground of the happenings going on if it's true in that way... I guess if if if this is true why would they not tell the WHOLE TEAM TO NOT DRINK if they are going around telling kids after the fact of getting in trouble from drinking to stop... Because what choice would Snyder of had? Just make it a team rule. Strike one you get X amount of games missed strike two your out. Or whatever. The whole 1 game for pretty much whatever you do wrong don't work though...

Doyle now has a son on the team sooo the coaches have an ear to the ground of the happenings going on if it's true in that way... I guess if if if this is true why would they not tell the WHOLE TEAM TO NOT DRINK if they are going around telling kids after the fact of getting in trouble from drinking to stop... Because what choice would Snyder of had? Just make it a team rule. Strike one you get X amount of games missed strike two your out. Or whatever. The whole 1 game for pretty much whatever you do wrong don't work though...
@deanvogs says it’s not even close to the truth so we better hold off. I’m pretty sure if you offer to pay 3 months of his Rivals subscription he’ll tell you what happened.

Don't shoot the messenger, I never said it was true. If you want to dispell it feel free, sugarlips. Maybe you shouldn't go around stirring people up.

I have no idea what is true. I know I heard a story, you heard a different story. Yours could be true, for all I know. The difference between you and me is that you don't seem to have a problem spreading unfounded rumors, but I do.

@deanvogs says it’s not even close to the truth so we better hold off. I’m pretty sure if you offer to pay 3 months of his Rivals subscription he’ll tell you what happened.

Now you are spreading rumors about me? I mean serious, get your *ucking facts straight. I pay the annual rate as to get a better deal!

I’m sure they do tell the whole team not to drink. I’d suspect it’s like a lot of other things, you have a portion of kids who listen and don’t party at all, some that have a couple beers and walk home by 10:00 with no buzz, and some who do 10 shots, drink a twelve pack, and bang some girl from their Western Civ class.

Snyder’s downfall was probably that he’s more towards the beer bong end of the spectrum.

lets face it the kid was a physical style player that was not overly gifted athletically. He had TWO ACL surgeries and regardless of what may or may not have happened off the field I did not see him getting a ton of playing time as the year progressed anyway and the younger guys started to show their potential. Those two injuries will take a toll on anyone and if something did happen it was probably just time for him to move on.

Then what did you hear and from whom? You don't obviously have give any names, but if I told you I saw Sasquatch it'd be as credible right now as what you're saying.

BTW you gonna name some names on your source? Something tells me you just made your up to try to look big time like me and my Rivals sources. I mean I must be a baller with $99.95 to drop on Iowa info.

BTW you gonna name some names on your source? Something tells me you just made your up to try to look big time like me and my Rivals sources. I mean I must be a baller with $99.95 to drop on Iowa info.
Read the post of mine that you just quoted, you "dolt." See the part where it says You don't have to give any names?

I already told you it was a coworker of mine who lives in Larchwood and is acquainted with the family.

And regarding you being a baller, we all know better.

The "pull the [fill in the blank] card" idea is pretty tired and weak. I am not excusing anything, I have nothing to gain from doing so. I have seen mental health be a FACTOR (not the SOLE driver) in decision-making, others probably have as well. If you think it is unlikely that mental health affects decision-making, or played a role in this instance, make an argument for your case.

By dismissing something you don't agree with as being a contrived idea of some segment of the population, you are just pulling the pulling-the-card card: failing to use common sense or reason and just falling back on a contrived idea of a segment of the population (in this case, the segment you are more comfortable with).

And @Fryowa , I know you are not on-board with my eternal love for Beth Mowins (and the sexism cards I played back in the day); that was a road I never should have traveled, and Beth and I can live with failing to influence your opinion. But you don't think the guy who admits to breaking down in tears as he dealt with these rehabs could have been dealing with some issues? And those issues could have led to other issues?

I certainly don't know enough specifics to know if that is the case or not, and I am not a psychologist, and my personal hygiene sometimes leaves something to be desired...I kind of got off track there. I am just saying it seems kind of weird for someone everyone seemed to think highly of for a long-time (maybe I am off on that perception) to start behaving like this.

His story doesn't sound like any time of mental breakdown, it sounds like he got drunk, drove, and got caught. In that scenario, you bash yourself and say sorry and move on (which he did). In that story I didn't read anything about deep, dark, debilitating depression or anything of the sort. I totally get mental health but don't just go throwing that crap around as an excuse for someone who just made a mistake. EVERYONE has mental health issues but it isn't a friggin excuse for a regular dude who got popped for an OWI. Don't lump that in the same category.

To whatever poster told me to "shut up", you are the exact type of person I was talking about. Take a bow!!

This is BS and frustrating, if someone knows why he is kicked off, say it. And CP87; Beth Mowins is the worst announcer alive and should be banned forever. And why I am at it, Snyder was just an OK back, he got burned more times than he made a play. He is the Beau Bower of the defensive backfield....anyone left that I didn't offend?
Oh boy Ickehawk is gonna be on your ass now. Terrible grammar and "connections" included.

This is BS and frustrating, if someone knows why he is kicked off, say it. And CP87; Beth Mowins is the worst announcer alive and should be banned forever. And why I am at it, Snyder was just an OK back, he got burned more times than he made a play. He is the Beau Bower of the defensive backfield....anyone left that I didn't offend?

Nope, you covered it thoroughly. And very well, too, I might add.

I’m sure they do tell the whole team not to drink. I’d suspect it’s like a lot of other things, you have a portion of kids who listen and don’t party at all, some that have a couple beers and walk home by 10:00 with no buzz, and some who do 10 shots, drink a twelve pack, and bang some girl from their Western Civ class.

Snyder’s downfall was probably that he’s more towards the beer bong end of the spectrum.

Chicks who take Western Civ can be hot. Or not. But there's a huge difference between regular ol' beer googles and ones made of double-shot glasses, that's for sure. Football players shouldn't need either of them. Oh, and never bang a chick from a current class. ALWAYS wait until after the final, in case you never want to see them ever again.

I'm pretty sure @okeefe4prez has the proper codification, so maybe we should wait for his take.

This off season feels particularly brutal for the Hawks. Not only is attrition up (which is not supposed to happen in a "developmental program"), but my two favorite Hawks on this year's team...the two hardest hitters who have dealt with some serious bad breaks, Aaron Mends and Brandon Snyder, are not going to be leading the defense this fall.

Mends was unavoidable. An unfortunate injury. But Snyder...by all accounts a team leader, hard worker, small town boy success story who was the first hawk in over a decade to show glimpses of Bob Sanders, is leaving and it's claimed to be a "mutual decision" in which Kirk showed him the door?! That's the gratitude shown to a guy who has worked his butt off for the Hawks, and had his health put at risk being put into a game last year only a few months after an ACL injury...only to tear it again (uhh, duhhhhh). Once again, he rehabs, comes back, is ready to lead the defense, and now he's out?

Tough questions need to be asked on this one. The guy earned this team's respect and does not deserve to go out this way. How many six figure coaches and consultants does it take on this staff to keep attrition from skyrocketing out of control?

Right. He should play since he is dedicated and works hard. Never mind if other players are better.

Seriously, The fact is that he did not earn a spot high enough on the 2 deeps that HE was happy with. So he moved on.

Seems to me that hard word and dedication is the minimum ante for membership on the Iowa football team. Necessary but not sufficient.

It just dawned on me that I have been missing the elephant in the room the whole time. IF it comes out that this is some type of code of conduct violation, and Ferentz sticks with some cover story about Snyder wanting more playing time, that looks REALLY BAD.

Under normal circumstances you could just argue he doesn't want to throw mud on the guy on the way out. But the Hawks have had 2 very public alcohol arrests in the last week or so. If it comes out that Snyder did something similar, it will look like Ferentz is trying to pull a cover-up, and then a program/athletic department that has already been questoined about transparency is going to have a big mess on their hands.

It just dawned on me that I have been missing the elephant in the room the whole time. IF it comes out that this is some type of code of conduct violation, and Ferentz sticks with some cover story about Snyder wanting more playing time, that looks REALLY BAD.

Under normal circumstances you could just argue he doesn't want to throw mud on the guy on the way out. But the Hawks have had 2 very public alcohol arrests in the last week or so. If it comes out that Snyder did something similar, it will look like Ferentz is trying to pull a cover-up, and then a program/athletic department that has already been questoined about transparency is going to have a big mess on their hands.

I completely disagree. Much like when a kid doesn't make grades, they don't come out and disclose that. That is a privacy issue. Snyder had to move on from the program, he feels embarrassed and is upset that he let the University down (per his own dads words). This is just trying to let the kid leave without everyone in the world knowing without a doubt that he screwed up and did something that is embarrassing/stupid. Ferentz is going to side with the kid and help protect the kid over giving freaking Morehouse or any fans that are crying the story, begging to know what happened. Ferentz constantly takes these arrows that are fired, and honestly that is a great trait of his.

As an aside, I love Morehouse, he is a great reporter. I would actually bet $1,000 that he does know the story (or at the very least heard versions of what happened). Yet without the university letting it out, he isn't going to just report rumors/hearsay.

I completely disagree. Much like when a kid doesn't make grades, they don't come out and disclose that. That is a privacy issue. Snyder had to move on from the program, he feels embarrassed and is upset that he let the University down (per his own dads words). This is just trying to let the kid leave without everyone in the world knowing without a doubt that he screwed up and did something that is embarrassing/stupid. Ferentz is going to side with the kid and help protect the kid over giving freaking Morehouse or any fans that are crying the story, begging to know what happened. Ferentz constantly takes these arrows that are fired, and honestly that is a great trait of his.

As an aside, I love Morehouse, he is a great reporter. I would actually bet $1,000 that he does know the story (or at the very least heard versions of what happened). Yet without the university letting it out, he isn't going to just report rumors/hearsay.

Totally agree. like you said, there are student privacy concerns and in addition, what good does it do to come out and tell the reason why the kid was basically forced out? It could be embarrassing to the kid and maybe the team didn't want it getting out what happened either. People don't need to know everything that goes on just because they are fans. And with privacy concerns, I am pretty sure disciplinary files are confidential

Latest posts