Losing Snyder HUGE Blow: Who Is At Fault

Nearsighted, bullshit take on this.

This is NCAA football, not 3rd grade rec flag football. Fellow players and fans deserve to have the absolute best players on the field at all times, no matter what (obviously barring legal or eligibility problems). The goal is to win, and you don't put 2nd or 3rd stringers in over someone else because they talk about how strong Jeebus is in their life, or how hard he's worked, or any other crap. If Phil Parker thinks Hooker, Stone, and Gervase are better than Snyder then they damn well better be the ones on the field. Anything less is shortchanging the other coaches, players and fans. Give Snyder all the nice guy awards you want at the end of the year; hell, give him all of them...but the best eligible player goes on that field every week. Period.

It's this kind of homerish, stupid thinking that keeps teams from winning.

Who's Jeebus?

Ahh...the pay board at Rivals, huh.

I'm not pretending I have some sources on the team, but I did hear what happened in this situation. I have not seen on Rivals anyone yet posting exactly what happened to see if that lines up with what I heard though.

Either way the particulars are really irrelevant. Everything else lines up with what I heard. Brandon made a bad/stupid decision. The leadership council decided they didn't want him on the team. That is what is being said on Rivals, that is what I heard, but I also heard what the stupid decision. If what I heard was true, the leadership council acted appropriately.

Fryowa is correct. It is about playing time. Too bad, because he is a great kid. He just wants to be a starter.
Well BRANDON made big plays.He will be missed.Hoping he would have been a 3rd down linebacker ect.My thought on that only.Enough want his brother on team. Gotta move on... All the Best on his next step.And 100% health for future. A MONSTER hitter.

I'm not pretending I have some sources on the team, but I did hear what happened in this situation. I have not seen on Rivals anyone yet posting exactly what happened to see if that lines up with what I heard though.

Either way the particulars are really irrelevant. Everything else lines up with what I heard. Brandon made a bad/stupid decision. The leadership council decided they didn't want him on the team. That is what is being said on Rivals, that is what I heard, but I also heard what the stupid decision. If what I heard was true, the leadership council acted appropriately.

Man I can't even think of a guess as to what it would be.

"Just had emotional interview with Brandon Snyder's father, Tim Snyder, who said Brandon just couldn't get over the fact that he has tarnished his name, and more importantly, Iowa's name. "That's something that he could not ever get over," Tim said. More to come with my column."

^^Tweet from Pat Harty....sounds like he doesn't deserve to be on the team...

Mental health stuff has come up here on the board before. Most know someone who have struggled with mental health. While specific details have not been provided, we have gotten enough glimpses to know that Snyder had been dealing with mental health issues secondary to the repeated injuries and rehab:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...nee-surgeries-dui-finds-redemption/720581002/

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...entz-kinnick-stadium-west-lyon-acl/870456002/

Who knows what role this played in the OWI, or perhaps what role alcohol may have had in the development of the mental health issues?

If Snyder did indeed do something stupid that has precipitated all of this, think of some of your own struggles with mental health, or the struggles of some of your loved ones, as you think about judging those actions.

"Just had emotional interview with Brandon Snyder's father, Tim Snyder, who said Brandon just couldn't get over the fact that he has tarnished his name, and more importantly, Iowa's name. "That's something that he could not ever get over," Tim said. More to come with my column."

^^Tweet from Pat Harty....sounds like he doesn't deserve to be on the team...
If (huge IF until someone spills the beans on twitter) what @deanvogs says is true and they voted him off the leadership spot, I gotta call bullshit on his dad.

I don't blame him however for sticking up for his kid. I'd do the same.

I understand the reason for vagueness in these posts. But as someone who isn't as plugged in, its frustrating. I'll just wish him the best.

Was a beast on the field. However, he always thought he was faster than he actually is, causing him to take bad angles. Wud have been a beast at LB, but prolly slightly undersized for that.

Mental health stuff has come up here on the board before. Most know someone who have struggled with mental health. While specific details have not been provided, we have gotten enough glimpses to know that Snyder had been dealing with mental health issues secondary to the repeated injuries and rehab:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...nee-surgeries-dui-finds-redemption/720581002/

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...entz-kinnick-stadium-west-lyon-acl/870456002/

Who knows what role this played in the OWI, or perhaps what role alcohol may have had in the development of the mental health issues?

If Snyder did indeed do something stupid that has precipitated all of this, think of some of your own struggles with mental health, or the struggles of some of your loved ones, as you think about judging those actions.

Gets deck of excuses and pulls "mental health card". Great pull because if anyone says you are using that as a cop out, they are insensitive and just ignorant!

I understand the reason for vagueness in these posts. But as someone who isn't as plugged in, its frustrating. I'll just wish him the best.
@deanvogs likes to consider his juicy "scoops" as a return on investment for his Rivals subscription. He gets to troll free boards and make us think he has some connections that we proles don't have.

Give it a couple hours and it'll come out on twitter.

Leaving for more playing time is their way of respecting Snyder's contributions to the program. He made some poor choices this offseason and the leadership group wanted him gone.

Bingo. I wish him the best...but poor choices made.

Tough couple of weeks

Last edited:
If (huge IF until someone spills the beans on twitter) what @deanvogs says is true and they voted him off the leadership spot, I gotta call bullshit on his dad.

I don't blame him however for sticking up for his kid. I'd do the same.

Why call bullshit on his dad...he's not shucking Brandon's responsibility in this...he saying Brandon knows he's to blame and feels terrible about hurting the program that has been good to him. Seems pretty sincere to me.

@deanvogs likes to consider his juicy "scoops" as a return on investment for his Rivals subscription. He gets to troll free boards and make us think he has some connections that we proles don't have.

Give it a couple hours and it'll come out on twitter.

What'd he do? Is it bigger than a breadbox?

LOL, man. Why is it sooooooooo important that you know what happened? I mean this was all out there a couple days ago on Rivals and I wasn't acting all like a baby like you are because I hadn't heard anything yet on what Brandon actually did.

Let me see if I have this correct. Guys like "fryguy" wholeheartedly support Ferentz when he went with "loyalty" over talent, playing guys like Bo Bower every down for 3 years at LB despite having other options at the position.

When CJ Beathard completed 7-23, for 50 yards, with 3 ints in the Gator Bowl, playing on 1 leg...you supported Ferentz's decision to let him play the whole game because he "payed his dues" and "earned it."

There are dozens of examples over the years where this board championed "loyalty" by giving seniors the benefit of the doubt in playing time decisions.

Now you've got a guy like Brandon Snyder in a season where you've already lost two starting DBs off the defense who were supposed to contribute. (Jackson went pro as a jr). He was good enough to see the field as a freshmen walk-on during our Rose Bowl year. He was good enough to start all year during his sophomore year (including a 13 tackle game and a 12 tackle game). He gets gets hurt as a junior, and when he rehabs like crazy to come back his senior year...Kirk puts him out to pasture? Tells him that he's yesterday's news?

While it's possible that there's more to the story, and maybe Snyder did something stupid...but could it be worse than the DUI that his teammate got this weekend? That merited a 1 game suspension, not a transfer.

It's interesting...Baker Mayfield went through the same sort of thing and yesterday had some choice words for Cliff Kingsbury, who rode Mayfield to 5 straight wins and loved the guy...then suddenly he got hurt, and Kingsbury completely turned his back on him. Mayfield went on to transfer out of spite, and won the Heisman Trophy. There is something to be said for loyalty to the kids that give their all.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/07/30/baker-mayfield-kliff-kingsbury-texas-a-and-m-oklahoma/

Nearsighted, bullshit take on this.

This is NCAA football, not 3rd grade rec flag football. Fellow players and fans deserve to have the absolute best players on the field at all times, no matter what (obviously barring legal or eligibility problems). The goal is to win, and you don't put 2nd or 3rd stringers in over someone else because they talk about how strong Jeebus is in their life, or how hard he's worked, or any other crap. If Phil Parker thinks Hooker, Stone, and Gervase are better than Snyder then they damn well better be the ones on the field. Anything less is shortchanging the other coaches, players and fans. Give Snyder all the nice guy awards you want at the end of the year; hell, give him all of them...but the best eligible player goes on that field every week. Period.

It's this kind of homerish, stupid thinking that keeps teams from winning.

Last edited:

Latest posts