Losing Snyder HUGE Blow: Who Is At Fault

IowaLawWasRight

This off season feels particularly brutal for the Hawks. Not only is attrition up (which is not supposed to happen in a "developmental program"), but my two favorite Hawks on this year's team...the two hardest hitters who have dealt with some serious bad breaks, Aaron Mends and Brandon Snyder, are not going to be leading the defense this fall.

Mends was unavoidable. An unfortunate injury. But Snyder...by all accounts a team leader, hard worker, small town boy success story who was the first hawk in over a decade to show glimpses of Bob Sanders, is leaving and it's claimed to be a "mutual decision" in which Kirk showed him the door?! That's the gratitude shown to a guy who has worked his butt off for the Hawks, and had his health put at risk being put into a game last year only a few months after an ACL injury...only to tear it again (uhh, duhhhhh). Once again, he rehabs, comes back, is ready to lead the defense, and now he's out?

Tough questions need to be asked on this one. The guy earned this team's respect and does not deserve to go out this way. How many six figure coaches and consultants does it take on this staff to keep attrition from skyrocketing out of control?

I don't like when guys leave either. Depth is always an issue for programs like Iowa. But I completely disagree that this is a huge blow. There are talented young players in the DB group and he probably saw the writing on the wall. Had he been a starter or a guy who was going to play a lot in sub packages, he most likely isn't going anywhere. He loves it at Iowa. But he's a guy who wasn't fast and was an average B1G athlete for his position anyway and has 2 ACL injuries on top of that.

This move will allow him to play more at another program so good for him.

This off season feels particularly brutal for the Hawks. Not only is attrition up (which is not supposed to happen in a "developmental program"), but my two favorite Hawks on this year's team...the two hardest hitters who have dealt with some serious bad breaks, Aaron Mends and Brandon Snyder, are not going to be leading the defense this fall.

Mends was unavoidable. An unfortunate injury. But Snyder...by all accounts a team leader, hard worker, small town boy success story who was the first hawk in over a decade to show glimpses of Bob Sanders, is leaving and it's claimed to be a "mutual decision" in which Kirk showed him the door?! That's the gratitude shown to a guy who has worked his butt off for the Hawks, and had his health put at risk being put into a game last year only a few months after an ACL injury...only to tear it again (uhh, duhhhhh). Once again, he rehabs, comes back, is ready to lead the defense, and now he's out?

Tough questions need to be asked on this one. The guy earned this team's respect and does not deserve to go out this way. How many six figure coaches and consultants does it take on this staff to keep attrition from skyrocketing out of control?

Snyder is moving on for playing time. His 2 time loser ACL has probably ended realistic goals of going pro and this might be his final stanza. He doesn't want to spend it battling a talented group for playing time. It's understandable to me. I'm just glad we have the talent behind him to keep on keeping on.

I was driving through Jonhston and I keep passing the sign that says

IOWA LAW

ENFORCEMENT ACADEMY

NEXT EXIT

But when I first glance at the sign I just see IOWA LAW and I think "Is this where Iowa Law comes from?

Are you his little brother? We lost Snyder for a huge chunk of last yr and got better. Hooker and Gervase are steps up. Would Snyder have been nice to have depth chart wise still? Sure. But if he'd have not gone and gotten that OWI and gotten hurt (not his fault just reality of situation) he'd still be on the team because others wouldn't have gotten the chance... To use KFs favorite line. 'That's football'

NBD.

If he was going to get playing time, he would have stayed.

He wasn't, obviously, so he's leaving. Gervase is better anyway (MILES better in pursuit), and Hooker and Stone would be getting the rest of the minutes.

Last edited:
That's the gratitude shown to a guy who has worked his butt off for the Hawks, and had his health put at risk being put into a game last year only a few months after an ACL injury...only to tear it again (uhh, duhhhhh). Once again, he rehabs, comes back, is ready to lead the defense, and now he's out?

Tough questions need to be asked on this one. The guy earned this team's respect and does not deserve to go out this way.
Nearsighted, bullshit take on this.

This is NCAA football, not 3rd grade rec flag football. Fellow players and fans deserve to have the absolute best players on the field at all times, no matter what (obviously barring legal or eligibility problems). The goal is to win, and you don't put 2nd or 3rd stringers in over someone else because they talk about how strong Jeebus is in their life, or how hard he's worked, or any other crap. If Phil Parker thinks Hooker, Stone, and Gervase are better than Snyder then they damn well better be the ones on the field. Anything less is shortchanging the other coaches, players and fans. Give Snyder all the nice guy awards you want at the end of the year; hell, give him all of them...but the best eligible player goes on that field every week. Period.

It's this kind of homerish, stupid thinking that keeps teams from winning.

This is Brandon's fault. I'll wait for Rob to come out and explain it more, but needless to say Brandon didn't have "this team's respect".

Leaving for more playing time is their way of respecting Snyder's contributions to the program. He made some poor choices this offseason and the leadership group wanted him gone.

Yep, it is alway the same typical idiots on here who come out roasting Ferentz when they have no freaking clue what the situation was.

Don't know how true, but did hear he was facing a multi game suspension.

What happened here isn't going to come out totally, it is embarrassing/potentially harmful to Brandon, and Ferentz isn't going to do Brandon like that. All I can say is it wasn't illegal (or rise to being illegal from what I heard), but was unacceptable behavior.

All I can say is it wasn't illegal (or rise to being illegal from what I heard), but was unacceptable behavior.
Then what did you hear and from whom? You don't obviously have give any names, but if I told you I saw Sasquatch it'd be as credible right now as what you're saying.

Then what did you hear and from whom? You don't obviously have give any names, but if I told you I saw Sasquatch it'd be as credible right now as what you're saying.

Brandon did something totally stupid, it was taken to the leadership council, they voted him off the team. I don't care if you believe me or not, that is what happened, and I'm not going to say what it was he did, but I will say I commend his teammates for making the right decision in this situation.

Losing Snyder himself may not be that big of a deal.

But losing Jackson, Rugamba and now Snyder from the secondary early does start to add up. A lot of experience has left early before they should have.

Brandon did something totally stupid, it was taken to the leadership council, they voted him off the team. I don't care if you believe me or not, that is what happened, and I'm not going to say what it was he did, but I will say I commend his teammates for making the right decision in this situation.
Ahh...the pay board at Rivals, huh.

Latest posts