Looking Past Iowa State?

One thing going in our favor is 4 of our best won't be playing in the first game so they won't be getting hurt and miss the big blow out of the clowns in Kinnick!

I’m a hawk fan. Matt Campbell in a couple of short years has put ISU back on the map in a “big” way, and he’s projected to do more damage this year. Iowa’s recent win was by a hair’s breadth … against this new-ish coach. Both local and national commentators have recognized some special talent in him – even if you disregard the ridiculous hype about his being a prospect at Ohio State. Just saying, he’s got insight to something not many can get a grasp of. Let’s hope that doesn’t appear against us. But to trash this potential “X” factor against us on 9/8, it’s scary when too many of our linemen will be missing the first game.

Um, if I remember correctly, Iowa State lost a lot of last years talent. So, the jury is out. Yes, I think Campbell is a formidable coach, but, I'm not sure he should be putting the scare in people at this point, as he has apparently with you. :)

Nice find! I don't get the Hawk fans who worry about Campbell. Who was that cryclown idiot used to come on here, and tell us how ISU and Paul Woads was gonna dominate Iowa from here til eternity. How this was now and would forever be a Cyclone state. That Paul Woads was the bestest coach on the planet, and the Hawks were doomed.

I mean I get Clown fans believe that type of shit, because they are stupid fucking idiots. It makes me sad when Hawk fans by into that shit though, it is just the same song and dance cryclown fans do all the time.

Just look at the number of coaches Iowa State has had since 1998 and the number Iowa has had.

Gervase>Snyder

Snyder was a one trick pony. Head down, full bore, straight line. That resulted in tons of missed tackles. He wasn’t very fast in pursuit and his high speed misses left him out of position to recover. Troy Polamalu is the only one to master that style of play, and Snyder ain’t that. He never seemed to grasp that as a safety not every play has to be a head on collision at 30 mph. If you whiff and end up twenty feet out of bounds (which happened often with him), your guy is off to the races whereas if you’d have just gotten in front of the runner and slowed the play down you’d be fine.

Gervase isn’t as athletic but he pursues so much better and wraps up his tackles. The vast majority of the time all a safety has to do is disrupt the ball carrier for a split second while the other safety and a linebacker help finish.

The Iowa secondary will be ok.

Let's just hope Gervase does not bite on stuff as bad as he did against ISU last year.

Iowa really isn't in a position to be looking past anyone... I mean not really. If you can beat OSU and still lose at home to Purdue a few weeks later (with no injuries suspentions etc) there's issues to sort out... Namely consistency. That goes across the board for coaches, play calling, and the players themselves performances. So yeah ISU can beat an Iowa team that isn't ready to play. Should Iowa at their best take care of them? Yes I totally think that. But this isn't a team I'd bet the farm on week in and week out yet...

Iowa lost to an FCS school, the fans and team should never overlook any team on our schedule.

I was surprised 2/3 of the panel on Hawk Central picked I-State to win CyHawk

Yeah, it surprised me too. It was almost like they were just trying to get ahead of the wreck, so they couldn't be accused of being "mere fans." Personally, I prefer journalists who give analysis, but still let their fandom show through. These guys just seemed to be COA.

Gervase>Snyder

Snyder was a one trick pony. Head down, full bore, straight line. That resulted in tons of missed tackles. He wasn’t very fast in pursuit and his high speed misses left him out of position to recover. Troy Polamalu is the only one to master that style of play, and Snyder ain’t that. He never seemed to grasp that as a safety not every play has to be a head on collision at 30 mph. If you whiff and end up twenty feet out of bounds (which happened often with him), your guy is off to the races whereas if you’d have just gotten in front of the runner and slowed the play down you’d be fine.

Gervase isn’t as athletic but he pursues so much better and wraps up his tackles. The vast majority of the time all a safety has to do is disrupt the ball carrier for a split second while the other safety and a linebacker help finish.

The Iowa secondary will be ok.

Not to mention...Snyder didn't play against ISU LAST year, either...

That is one funny post. Soupy Campbell; the X-factor, LMAO. Iowa State is still Iowa State. I doubt if Snyder would have broken the two deeps this year. The clowns are up, but in their cycle their best does not equal Iowa's best.

That is one funny post. Soupy Campbell; the X-factor, LMAO. Iowa State is still Iowa State. I doubt if Snyder would have broken the two deeps this year. The clowns are up, but in their cycle their best does not equal Iowa's best.

the problem is that ISU even with temporary coaches has faired decently against KF considering the differing program levels.

Screw this Iowa State cheerleader, so tired of hearing about all the football geniuses West of us who are gonna whip our ass. If they do, they do. Not gonna give them any unearned credit yet. Hope they both crash and burn along with that joker up North. Sure I worry every year about the Clown game because it's embarrassing to lose to them. Any team can get up for one game.

Latest posts