Looking Past Iowa State?

IowaPhan

Podcasts and win-loss predictions on this site generally favor Iowa in the Iowa State game, mainly due to it being played on the Hawk’s field. Beyond the talk of player matchups, etc., no one mentions the “X” factor … freaking Matt Campbell himself. While he wasn’t perfect last year, his players and his system have been around a while longer now, and his X factor is likely still with him. He’s currently intriguing because of his embedded staff, the mission he creates in his players, and his own seemingly mystical insights into what wins games.

Now, almost four starting Hawk linemen will be missing a vital introduction going into the Iowa State game. And regardless of what some say, I’d feel better against any opponent if the wide-ranging, hard-hitting Snyder were still with us.

Yes, Iowa is starting to get some attention, and it feels better this year. But Coach Ferentz is still the coach – a coach capable of both exquisite performances as well as the most undefinable, sleepy-eyed game letdowns in the history of football. When we hear the rosy predictions, are we considering the X-factor, Campbell? Should the season’s rosy predictions be modified given the suspensions?

IowaPhan post: 1732872 said:
And regardless of what some say, I’d feel better against any opponent if the wide-ranging, hard-hitting Snyder were still with us.
Gervase>Snyder

Snyder was a one trick pony. Head down, full bore, straight line. That resulted in tons of missed tackles. He wasn’t very fast in pursuit and his high speed misses left him out of position to recover. Troy Polamalu is the only one to master that style of play, and Snyder ain’t that. He never seemed to grasp that as a safety not every play has to be a head on collision at 30 mph. If you whiff and end up twenty feet out of bounds (which happened often with him), your guy is off to the races whereas if you’d have just gotten in front of the runner and slowed the play down you’d be fine.

Gervase isn’t as athletic but he pursues so much better and wraps up his tackles. The vast majority of the time all a safety has to do is disrupt the ball carrier for a split second while the other safety and a linebacker help finish.

The Iowa secondary will be ok.

Podcasts and win-loss predictions on this site generally favor Iowa in the Iowa State game, mainly due to it being played on the Hawk’s field. Beyond the talk of player matchups, etc., no one mentions the “X” factor … freaking Matt Campbell himself. While he wasn’t perfect last year, his players and his system have been around a while longer now, and his X factor is likely still with him. He’s currently intriguing because of his embedded staff, the mission he creates in his players, and his own seemingly mystical insights into what wins games.

Now, almost four starting Hawk linemen will be missing a vital introduction going into the Iowa State game. And regardless of what some say, I’d feel better against any opponent if the wide-ranging, hard-hitting Snyder were still with us.

Yes, Iowa is starting to get some attention, and it feels better this year. But Coach Ferentz is still the coach – a coach capable of both exquisite performances as well as the most undefinable, sleepy-eyed game letdowns in the history of football. When we hear the rosy predictions, are we considering the X-factor, Campbell? Should the season’s rosy predictions be modified given the suspensions?

The rosyness is based on a very promising quarterback. Lose him to injury and we would be lucky to win six games.

No one knows how the linebackers are going to play or the offensive backfield. Then we have to replace an NFL quality defensive back and now one of our better defensive secondary players has left.

So it’s your basic fandom occurring with hopefulness as we are now undefeated. Seriously if the exact same players were in a cyclone uniform then what would be your analysis? I bet we would here predictions anywhere from 3-9 with 7-5 being the top limit.

What else are you going to do if your an Iowa fan? Look to next season after we lose to a team we have no business losing to and watch the three star recruits pile into Iowa City next season and fantasize about winning the West and playing the East division champ.

If we did away with the divisions and have just one division it would likely go something like this; Ohio State at the top alone in a class of their own. Then you could likely lump Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin in the next tier. The next tier would likely lump Michigan State, Northwestern or Iowa, in that order.......... thus leaving Nebraska leading the remainders. That puts Iowa in fifth place at best and as low as eight place on an average basis.

Iowa state will give us a game and maybe beat us at home. If that happens there will be no reason (unless you like being water boarded) of coming on this forum until we beat the next cupcake and people’s fantasies get the best of them again.

Oh how I hope I am wrong. It seems like forever since football got over (thanks Fran).

Thank you Iowa State fan now with "Member" status. What a pathetic post searching for compliments.

Yes, Iowa State should be better but they have a long ways to go. Iowa has done more in a decade than Iowa State has done in their entire existence playing college football. Iowa State has never won their conference or been to a bowl game after December 30th. That is telling.

Thank you Iowa State fan now with "Member" status. What a pathetic post searching for compliments.

Yes, Iowa State should be better but they have a long ways to go. Iowa has done more in a decade than Iowa State has done in their entire existence playing college football. Iowa State has never won their conference or been to a bowl game after December 30th. That is telling.
I’m a hawk fan. Matt Campbell in a couple of short years has put ISU back on the map in a “big” way, and he’s projected to do more damage this year. Iowa’s recent win was by a hair’s breadth … against this new-ish coach. Both local and national commentators have recognized some special talent in him – even if you disregard the ridiculous hype about his being a prospect at Ohio State. Just saying, he’s got insight to something not many can get a grasp of. Let’s hope that doesn’t appear against us. But to trash this potential “X” factor against us on 9/8, it’s scary when too many of our linemen will be missing the first game.

I’m a hawk fan. Matt Campbell in a couple of short years has put ISU back on the map in a “big” way, and he’s projected to do more damage this year. Iowa’s recent win was by a hair’s breadth … against this new-ish coach. Both local and national commentators have recognized some special talent in him – even if you disregard the ridiculous hype about his being a prospect at Ohio State. Just saying, he’s got insight to something not many can get a grasp of. Let’s hope that doesn’t appear against us. But to trash this potential “X” factor against us on 9/8, it’s scary when too many of our linemen will be missing the first game.

Back on the map implies that they were ever on the map to begin with. I also wouldn't call an 8 win season being put on the map in a "big" way. It was a solid season. I give them credit for that. If he can duplicate last year's success then he may be onto something. You're not an Iowa fan though so let's just stop pretending.

Nice find! I don't get the Hawk fans who worry about Campbell. Who was that cryclown idiot used to come on here, and tell us how ISU and Paul Woads was gonna dominate Iowa from here til eternity. How this was now and would forever be a Cyclone state. That Paul Woads was the bestest coach on the planet, and the Hawks were doomed.

I mean I get Clown fans believe that type of shit, because they are stupid fucking idiots. It makes me sad when Hawk fans by into that shit though, it is just the same song and dance cryclown fans do all the time.

Latest posts