Looking Past Iowa State?

Um, if I remember correctly, Iowa State lost a lot of last years talent. So, the jury is out. Yes, I think Campbell is a formidable coach, but, I'm not sure he should be putting the scare in people at this point, as he has apparently with you. :)

ISU definitely needs to build on their success and maintain it but I don't think you have looked at their roster if you think they lost a lot of people. They essentially lost Lanning, but they return Marcel Spears who is generally 2nd team pre-season all conference and Harvey who is usually 3rd team in pre-season all conference. They will start a freshmen at MLB in O'rien Vance but he will have plenty of experience around him.

They of course lost Lazard but are stacked at the WR position with Butler, Eaton, and Deshante Jones who caught 37 receptions as a FR 2 years ago, but Campbell brought in Eaton and Murdock last year so there were not the same amount of balls to go around as well as the emergence of David Montgomery at RB who you want to give plenty of carries.

The last spot hit hard was safety but they brought in a JUCO Eisworth who practiced in the spring and Campbell said if they picked a defensive MVP it would have been him so he may be able to shore that position up.

It should be a close game with Iowa being a slight favorite due to homefield. I have felt the concern from the Iowa side should be is how will Iowa and especially the linebackers match up with ISU's WR especially if Iowa tries to stay with their base defense instead of playing nickel or dime packages. As well as how will that inexperienced group do in tackling David Montgomery.

From the ISU side the concern is the offensive line matching up against Iowa's defensive line, especially not getting dominated from an Iowa pass rush. If Iowa can dominate from a pass rush with a base 4, it will help the linebackers in pass coverage.

I follow both teams and with the Iowa suspensions in the 1st game for the two OT's especially it may effect Iowa's cohesiveness in game 2. Jaquan Bailey at DE I as 1st team all conference pre-season pick and will be a stiff 1st game test for the tackles, and Ray Lima ate up blockers as a NG last year although I would expect ISU goes back to a 4-3 for Iowa. Iowa offensive lines don't start fast and this may be the best ISU defensive line since Earl Bruce defensive lines.

I always thought it was a pickem to maybe a slight Iowa lean due to homefield. Now I think its a pickem to maybe a slight Cyclone lean due to the suspensions. Should be a really good game.

You can bet this game is circled on the clones' calendar...like very year. Campbell will view this as a big step in his program rebuild. Hawks better come to play.

Melrose said: I have felt the concern from the Iowa side should be is how will Iowa and especially the linebackers match up with ISU's WR especially if Iowa tries to stay with their base defense instead of playing nickel or dime packages. As well as how will that inexperienced group do in tackling David Montgomery

This will determine the game. We contain em, we win. If not, we'll get into a scoring battle which is not KFz's comfort zone.

You can bet this game is circled on the clones' calendar...like very year. Campbell will view this as a big step in his program rebuild. Hawks better come to play.

Melrose said: I have felt the concern from the Iowa side should be is how will Iowa and especially the linebackers match up with ISU's WR especially if Iowa tries to stay with their base defense instead of playing nickel or dime packages. As well as how will that inexperienced group do in tackling David Montgomery

This will determine the game. We contain em, we win. If not, we'll get into a scoring battle which is not KFz's comfort zone.

While Iowa won a shootout last year, and even thought the wide receiving core could be better this year and they always have outstanding TE's. I think since its the 1st game back for the OT's there will not be the consistency and cohesion they hoped for in game 1 and they are not going to be able to replace Wadley's explosiveness and big game plays.

Has Matt Campbell still ever said the word "Hawkeyes?" I'm honestly asking. I still think he's not once used the word "Iowa" on it's own when referring to our squad, and has he ever uttered the word "Hawkeyes?"

ISU definitely needs to build on their success and maintain it but I don't think you have looked at their roster if you think they lost a lot of people. They essentially lost Lanning, but they return Marcel Spears who is generally 2nd team pre-season all conference and Harvey who is usually 3rd team in pre-season all conference. They will start a freshmen at MLB in O'rien Vance but he will have plenty of experience around him.

They of course lost Lazard but are stacked at the WR position with Butler, Eaton, and Deshante Jones who caught 37 receptions as a FR 2 years ago, but Campbell brought in Eaton and Murdock last year so there were not the same amount of balls to go around as well as the emergence of David Montgomery at RB who you want to give plenty of carries.

The last spot hit hard was safety but they brought in a JUCO Eisworth who practiced in the spring and Campbell said if they picked a defensive MVP it would have been him so he may be able to shore that position up.

It should be a close game with Iowa being a slight favorite due to homefield. I have felt the concern from the Iowa side should be is how will Iowa and especially the linebackers match up with ISU's WR especially if Iowa tries to stay with their base defense instead of playing nickel or dime packages. As well as how will that inexperienced group do in tackling David Montgomery.

From the ISU side the concern is the offensive line matching up against Iowa's defensive line, especially not getting dominated from an Iowa pass rush. If Iowa can dominate from a pass rush with a base 4, it will help the linebackers in pass coverage.

I follow both teams and with the Iowa suspensions in the 1st game for the two OT's especially it may effect Iowa's cohesiveness in game 2. Jaquan Bailey at DE I as 1st team all conference pre-season pick and will be a stiff 1st game test for the tackles, and Ray Lima ate up blockers as a NG last year although I would expect ISU goes back to a 4-3 for Iowa. Iowa offensive lines don't start fast and this may be the best ISU defensive line since Earl Bruce defensive lines.

I always thought it was a pickem to maybe a slight Iowa lean due to homefield. Now I think its a pickem to maybe a slight Cyclone lean due to the suspensions. Should be a really good game.

Solid post!

I don't even see why the University of Iowa should continue this yearly series against such a lesser program especially since the conference schedule expanded. Iowa should be playing other teams.

I don't even see why the University of Iowa should continue this yearly series against such a lesser program especially since the conference schedule expanded. Iowa should be playing other teams.

You know it is possible for Iowa to play 2 P5 schools OOC in 1 year. It's not forbidden. Purdue and Northwestern are both doing it this year and they both still have 7 home games.

I’m a hawk fan. Matt Campbell in a couple of short years has put ISU back on the map in a “big” way, and he’s projected to do more damage this year. Iowa’s recent win was by a hair’s breadth … against this new-ish coach. Both local and national commentators have recognized some special talent in him – even if you disregard the ridiculous hype about his being a prospect at Ohio State. Just saying, he’s got insight to something not many can get a grasp of. Let’s hope that doesn’t appear against us. But to trash this potential “X” factor against us on 9/8, it’s scary when too many of our linemen will be missing the first game.

I think Campbell is the real deal and I’m an Iowa fan. The only consolation is his stay in Ames will be short.

The big thing is that ISU graduated 4 offensive linemen. That hurts. It doesn't matter how good your QB or WRs are if the QB doesn't have time in the pocket. It doesn't matter how good your RBs are if they are having to make multiple people miss three yards behind the line.

The big thing is that ISU graduated 4 offensive linemen. That hurts. It doesn't matter how good your QB or WRs are if the QB doesn't have time in the pocket. It doesn't matter how good your RBs are if they are having to make multiple people miss three yards behind the line.
Agree, it takes two to three years to develop lineman. Skill players alone don't produce winning seasons. Iowa is light years ahead on the offensive and defensive line than Iowa State. Let's not anoint anyone yet into the coaching hall of fame from any of our Western neighbors.
I just don't know why skill players love playing in such a generic ugly stadium at a college full of farmers and too few farm girls. The whole campus reeks of desperation and sadness when I used to visit during my college years. This IS a Hawkeye forum for anyone who's offended.

Ya wanna know what else is circled on their calendar? Campbell's yearly colonoscopy.

Screw this Iowa State cheerleader, so tired of hearing about all the football geniuses West of us who are gonna whip our ass. If they do, they do. Not gonna give them any unearned credit yet. Hope they both crash and burn along with that joker up North. Sure I worry every year about the Clown game because it's embarrassing to lose to them. Any team can get up for one game.
I'm worried about the one about three hours northeast of us whipping our ass.

They did to us last year what Penn State did to us in 2016.

If the Wisconsin game comes down to the final play I'll take my chances. Hopefully they're not inside our ten yard line.

I am feeling seriously football-deprived, waiting impatiently for the next Kids Day Scrimmage twitter post. Killing time in the meanwhile, I stumbled into this thread. For those arguing for the ascendant ISU program over the stale Iowa program:

• Last year, Campbell and his staff were in year 2, while Iowa featured first year coaches at OL, RB, WR, QB, and OC. Which staff do you think will show more improvement from last year to this?
  • Last year, ISU had the 28th most experienced 2-deep in the nation (according to Phil Steele); Iowa's was 48th.
  • Last year, ISU returned 93% of their yards-from-scrimmage-accounted-for, good for 6th in the nation; Iowa returned 30%, good for 121st in the nation
  • Iowa did have a much more experienced D, returning 75% of their tackles (22nd in the nation), vs. ISU returning 52% (107th in the nation)
  • Looking at overall returning production, ISU was ranked 21st in the country last year, vs. Iowa's 118th
So although last year was Campbell's 2nd and KF's 19th, ISU was overall the more experienced team, and they were playing at home. Iowa won anyway (by a whisker).

Looking to this year:
With both teams coming in relatively inexperienced, how have the recruiting rankings compared over the past 3 years (2018, 2017, 2016)? Iowa had classes ranked 41st, 41st, and 47th. ISU has had 55th, 52nd, and 55th. Not too different, but slight edge to Iowa. Who has shown better ability to develop players and/or out-perform recruiting rankings? According to this work by 538, Iowa is 20th in success vs. recruiting rankings, ISU is 69th.

And Iowa is home.

I am feeling seriously football-deprived, waiting impatiently for the next Kids Day Scrimmage twitter post. Killing time in the meanwhile, I stumbled into this thread. For those arguing for the ascendant ISU program over the stale Iowa program:

• Last year, Campbell and his staff were in year 2, while Iowa featured first year coaches at OL, RB, WR, QB, and OC. Which staff do you think will show more improvement from last year to this?
  • Last year, ISU had the 28th most experienced 2-deep in the nation (according to Phil Steele); Iowa's was 48th.
  • Last year, ISU returned 93% of their yards-from-scrimmage-accounted-for, good for 6th in the nation; Iowa returned 30%, good for 121st in the nation
  • Iowa did have a much more experienced D, returning 75% of their tackles (22nd in the nation), vs. ISU returning 52% (107th in the nation)
  • Looking at overall returning production, ISU was ranked 21st in the country last year, vs. Iowa's 118th
So although last year was Campbell's 2nd and KF's 19th, ISU was overall the more experienced team, and they were playing at home. Iowa won anyway (by a whisker).

Looking to this year:
With both teams coming in relatively inexperienced, how have the recruiting rankings compared over the past 3 years (2018, 2017, 2016)? Iowa had classes ranked 41st, 41st, and 47th. ISU has had 55th, 52nd, and 55th. Not too different, but slight edge to Iowa. Who has shown better ability to develop players and/or out-perform recruiting rankings? According to this work by 538, Iowa is 20th in success vs. recruiting rankings, ISU is 69th.

And Iowa is home.
Don't worry about being deprived. The thread concerning women's basketball off-season pickup games from ClintonIafan should be coming any minute.

:p

Latest posts