Lick supporters-Was this the game?

When you finally wake up and realize that the coach needs to go no matter what happens? If not, what is it going to take for you to come around? This game was humiliating for the fans, and that is when I know that change is needed

Based on what, exactly? Would you rather have had them get whitewashed like they did last weekend?

You make it sound like the team just had an unusually bad night shooting the 3 ball, but here are some stats for you on our 3-point shooting that I just got from HawkeyeInsider.com this morning:

Gatens - 34.6%
Payne - 31.1%
May - 27.8%
Fuller - 20%
Tucker - 31.3%
Cougill - 40.5%
Bawinkel - 37.9%
Lickliter - 28.1%

As a team - 32.1%

That's for the year.

You do realize thats a pretty good percentage right? That's the equivilent of shooting 48% for 2 point field goals.

When you finally wake up and realize that the coach needs to go no matter what happens? If not, what is it going to take for you to come around? This game was humiliating for the fans, and that is when I know that change is needed

Why do you waste your time pretending that you can see the future? Lick is going nowhere any time soon so it is frivolous to state "no matter what happens, he has to go".

That being said, after last night I would give his chances of turning this thing around at below 20%. That is down about 10% from BI (before Ill).

VERY SAD:(

Chucking up 3's is not a way to win games.....sure some where open some where not but it is not a high % shot, yet that is the shot lick wants to live by and usually coming with less than 5 seconds on the clock after alot of passing around the periamter.

Live by the 3, die by the 3. I'm seeing a lot of dying.

And a lot of poor passing, and terrible shot choices. Jon is right--poor basketball IQ.

We may be small, but we're slow.

You do realize thats a pretty good percentage right? That's the equivilent of shooting 48% for 2 point field goals.

32% is NOT a good percentage.

Let's take last night's game for example. Looking at the box score, Iowa took 54 shots, and 28 of them were from 3. Let's take your percentage of 48% from 2 and the "equivalent" of 32% from 3.

If they shot 32% from 3, that's about 9-28.

That leaves 26 shots from 2 point range.

If they shot 48% from 2, that's roughly 12-26. 46.1%. 13-26 puts them at 50% even. Let's given them the benefit of the doubt and say they shoot 50%.

So that's 22-54 overall, or 40.7% overall from the floor. I can't call that good.

In reality, the team was 29.6% overall last night (16-54).

Our FANBASE allowed themselves to be the vocal minority last night. Yes there were 150 or so Illannoy kids there. There were several thousand Iowa fans there, yet for most of the game they allowed themselves to be overwhelmed by those 150 kids.

If you dont like the fact the arena is empty? Look at the fanbase. If you don't like the visiting fans were louder? Look at the fan base. I get a laugh out of all the people who get on the message boards saying "I watched the game and the arena was empty". Pathetic, if you really care get off your duff and go to a few games, otherwise save it.

Fact: Our fanbase ran the winningest coach in the history of Iowa out of town.

Fact: Our fanbase stopped attending games with the next coach allegedly becuase of off the court behavior of his kids and how he dealt with it.

Fact: Under the new coach attendance has contintued to slide.

Fact: Hawkeyenation has a very poor record of supporting basketball over the last 12 or so years.

Not true,actually. When SA was hired, there was legit buzz created and attendance,which had been fading the last 2 -3 years under Mr. Davis, increased in SA's first year, then in his 2nd and 3rd year averaged right at 15,500. After PP happened, it started to fall off.

Point is, when you hire a new coach, you should expect a boost in interest,if he is someone who can promote his program. Like him or not, SA did that. If PP had not screwed up so bad, that run might have continued. Fans did not stop coming intially due to bad basketball under SA, it was the PP incident,which left us with a short roster in 03,04 and 05 and we lost too much,which added to the problem. Then in 06 we went 17-0 at home, and sold out most of the Big Ten games.
Attendance actually improved a bit in 06 and 07, then fell off the table when lick came and has continued the downward trend.

Licks arrival created zero ''new coach'' buzz, and our performance on the court has added to the attendance slide.

If you win, Iowa fans will come. If you recruit and promote, Iowa fans will hold onto hope and show up. If you do none of this, Iowa fans will drift away.

We only shot 28% from three. For the three to be an efficient shot, it needs to be more like 38%... and if we'd shot that well, we'd have won. By the way, from inside we were 30.7%.
Our in-conference average for threes is 29% at the halfway mark. How do we get it up to 38% for the next half? Seems like an argument that the three is not a good option for this team.

You guys are trying way to hard to run a coach out of town. These guys shot 15-64 last night and STILL were within 3 pts. of the win with 35 seconds to play AND we had the ball and missed a tough layup. I think I saw 4 airballs on wide open looks. The guys bounced back from last weekend and gave GREAT effort as I thought they would. Illinois made two baskets towards the end that killed us, one from Tyler Griffey?? Our guys are showing a lot of fight. Our sorry fans own that loss for not supporting their Hawkeye players at Carver. I was embarrassed not by our players last night but by our fans or lack thereof. If seeing a sea of orange on TV at Carver behind our basket doesn't convince you to support these players, then we're not the fan base I thought we were. Go Hawks!

Chucking up 3's is not a way to win games.....sure some where open some where not but it is not a high % shot, yet that is the shot lick wants to live by and usually coming with less than 5 seconds on the clock after alot of passing around the periamter.

I agree, the ONLY way it would work is if a team has 4 guys on the court that can hit 3's at a 35-40% rate. Iowa does not have this. This is not a consistent way to win games.

I am fed up with scoring 40pts a game! This is pathetic, I don't care what coach you bring in, get someone who can recruit decent athletes and someone who can SCORE! 40pts is so sad, I have watched JH teams score more points than Iowa! TL days better be counting down, if he stays for another year, Iowa basketball will be losing money next year! They will have to pay the fans to come out and watch!

That's a point for everybody in the stands! Oh, I forgot Illinois bussed over 160 of their student fans that put Iowa's student fans to shame. They also had better seats than Iowa's student fans.

The fact that the opposing team's fans chanted "airball, airball" on our HOME court, is in itself extremely embarrassing and degrading!

If I didn't know better I would have thought I was color blind watching that game. Here I see a black and gold court yet the fans with orange shirts are the most vocal.

Lick provided zero new coach "buzz" when hired and his losing and dulled down style of play isn't going to bring fans back - it will steer more away. There is NO chance he gets fired and I believe he should get next year to prove himself but if there isn't a significant improvement in year four, with experience, depth and supposedly highly regarded recruiting class...then it is fair game!

While Barta will not fire Lick I do believe Barta gives him an ultimatum for next season and perhaps if Lickliter feels that isn't attainable or he realizes this job isn't worth the stress and his health, I could see him resigning.

32.1% is 245th in the nation among D1 teams.

Seems kinda high. This team is so boring, who would pay good money to watch this style of basketball. Sorry not me. Wouldn't bother me if every player left this team along with every coach. See ya

I agree about there being no buzz with TL hire, but people weren't down about it. TD should have never been run out the way he was. I think SA was run out unfairly also. SA was not a horrible coach and I wouldn't mind if he was still here, but I didn't like him because of his arrogance (which most fans will say). TL is nice and I respect him for that but I don't like people to say things about Iowa fans not showing up. It is a direct correlation with the way we play. I went to games at Iowa with SA around because we still had a "chance" to win the game. We, many times, have no chance to win this year. I am a fan of movies too but I don't go waste my money on the bad ones that I don't want to see!!!

I agree I don't want to be a program that changes coaches like a revolving door, but until you find the coach that can be successful you have to make changes even if you don't want to. You can't pay millions of dollars in coaches salaries and lose money as a program. And I do have a brain and for you to say that this is not all TL's fault is incorrect. He gets paid to put product on the floor and he hasn't done it in three years. We have gotten worse every year. Is that showing progress?? If you could see progress it would be different. Some people say we are young, which is true, but the talent we have is never going to get us in the top half of this conference. I love the effort our players put in but I also realize they aren't going to win alot. I watch every game and I have to defend myself to a lot of other people who say, "how can you watch that," which I hate having to do.
Have you stopped for one second to analyze WHY the team is worse now than it was two years ago?

Todd inherited a bunch of players from Steve who weren't willing or able to play in Todd's system.

Is that Todd's fault?

Should Todd have delayed/abandoned installing his system because the players didn't like it/didn't get it/didn't want to/weren't able to play it? No, of course not.

Several players left the team. It's unfortunate, but it's all part of the sometimes ugly transition from one coach to another. In this case, the transition has been a bit rougher than many of these transitions are.

So in year 3 Todd has his most depleted roster. Does that mean he'll never win at Iowa? No, it certainly does not.

Young teams with no depth will struggle to win games, that should be obvious to everyone watching. But the roster upheavals should be over now, and this team has nowhere to go but up. The fact that there has been some regression the past two years shouldn't have anything to do with it's ability to have successes moving forward.

I think this team has a small core of young guys who will improve, and as more of the same are added, more success will come along with that.

Is it possible that Todd won't be successful at Iowa? Of course it is. But I don't think we can say for sure yet that is the case. Give Todd one more year to see what he can do.

Plus, if you fire him now - Iowa becomes the school who lacks modern facilities and isn't willing to give a coach a chance to stay long enough to build up a winning program. Then no quality coach will ever want to come here.

Our FANBASE allowed themselves to be the vocal minority last night. Yes there were 150 or so Illannoy kids there. There were several thousand Iowa fans there, yet for most of the game they allowed themselves to be overwhelmed by those 150 kids.

If you dont like the fact the arena is empty? Look at the fanbase. If you don't like the visiting fans were louder? Look at the fan base. I get a laugh out of all the people who get on the message boards saying "I watched the game and the arena was empty". Pathetic, if you really care get off your duff and go to a few games, otherwise save it.

Fact: Our fanbase ran the winningest coach in the history of Iowa out of town.

Fact: Our fanbase stopped attending games with the next coach allegedly becuase of off the court behavior of his kids and how he dealt with it.

Fact: Under the new coach attendance has contintued to slide.

Fact: Hawkeyenation has a very poor record of supporting basketball over the last 12 or so years.

Fact: People vote with their pocketbooks. If attendance was poor and we were winning, or even being competetive, then I say shame on the fans. But what incentive is there for any changes to be made (coaching or otherwise ) if there are no financial reprocussions? In this economy people are choosing to spend their dollars more carefully. How can the university or anyone else for that matter blame the consumer for choosing not to spend their hard earned money on an inferior product?
I am forced to agree with you on the Tom Davis issue however, shame on all of us for that.

I have thought about why he isn't having success right now. It is recruiting. Yes he had Alford's recruits that first year and second year and they were our BEST players but they all left. His recruits should be 4th and 5th options not asked to be 1st and 2nd options. He may be able to have success. I look at next years recruiting class and there still isn't anyone that is outstanding in it. Our players are all average. You can win in HS with 5 average players but you get your doors blown off in college with 5 average guys. We will probably never be in position to get the 1st option type guys, and I understand that, but TL hasn't proven he can recruit at all. If you look at our players list of scholarship offers they get an offer from Iowa and bunch of other small schools or bottom of the conference schools. I would never advocate for firing a coach at a DIII level college or HS because they just don't have as much control over their programs but a man making $1 million I have no problem calling him out when he isn't getting the job done. Iowa will have modern facilities within the next year and that can attract good coaches.

Have you stopped for one second to analyze WHY the team is worse now than it was two years ago?

Todd inherited a bunch of players from Steve who weren't willing or able to play in Todd's system.

Is that Todd's fault?

Should Todd have delayed/abandoned installing his system because the players didn't like it/didn't get it/didn't want to/weren't able to play it? No, of course not.

Several players left the team. It's unfortunate, but it's all part of the sometimes ugly transition from one coach to another. In this case, the transition has been a bit rougher than many of these transitions are.

So in year 3 Todd has his most depleted roster. Does that mean he'll never win at Iowa? No, it certainly does not.

Young teams with no depth will struggle to win games, that should be obvious to everyone watching. But the roster upheavals should be over now, and this team has nowhere to go but up. The fact that there has been some regression the past two years shouldn't have anything to do with it's ability to have successes moving forward.

I think this team has a small core of young guys who will improve, and as more of the same are added, more success will come along with that.

Is it possible that Todd won't be successful at Iowa? Of course it is. But I don't think we can say for sure yet that is the case. Give Todd one more year to see what he can do.

Plus, if you fire him now - Iowa becomes the school who lacks modern facilities and isn't willing to give a coach a chance to stay long enough to build up a winning program. Then no quality coach will ever want to come here.

Bra-*******-vo, good sir.

Is that Todd's fault?

LOL still blaming the previous coach huh...

what a freekig joke.

Latest posts