Lick supporters-Was this the game?

Is there anything in that post that isn't/wasn't true?

Uh yeah cause Lick had the option of keeping the recruits that SA had recruited or not, he choose to keep them because he thought they fit his system, and now all of a sudden 3 years later they don't.. give me a break...so far the only thing Lick has proven good at is running guys off the team.

It Todd L had the ability to relate to kids and keep them happy

We might still have Davis and Peterson at least then we would have 3 options at the PG

He also could have worked with David Palmer to give us a legit 4/5

We might still have Davis and Peterson at least then we would have 3 options at the PG

How do you know that he doesn't? They seem to play pretty hard for him, it's not like they're quitting on him like ISU is on McDermott.

How do you know that he didn't?

Maybe they weren't the type of players Coach thought needed to be made happy. He gave them an opportunity to play for Iowa for free and he is the Coach and he asked that they do things his way. It seems they did not want to do that and so now they are gone. It has been documented that the main reason TL got the job at Butler was because the players went to the Admin. and asked for him to be their coach. Maybe the 3 you just mentioned should have tried harder to relate to and keep Coach happy.

Have you stopped for one second to analyze WHY the team is worse now than it was two years ago?

Todd inherited a bunch of players from Steve who weren't willing or able to play in Todd's system.

Is that Todd's fault?

Should Todd have delayed/abandoned installing his system because the players didn't like it/didn't get it/didn't want to/weren't able to play it? No, of course not.

Several players left the team. It's unfortunate, but it's all part of the sometimes ugly transition from one coach to another. In this case, the transition has been a bit rougher than many of these transitions are.

So in year 3 Todd has his most depleted roster. Does that mean he'll never win at Iowa? No, it certainly does not.

Young teams with no depth will struggle to win games, that should be obvious to everyone watching. But the roster upheavals should be over now, and this team has nowhere to go but up. The fact that there has been some regression the past two years shouldn't have anything to do with it's ability to have successes moving forward.

I think this team has a small core of young guys who will improve, and as more of the same are added, more success will come along with that.

Is it possible that Todd won't be successful at Iowa? Of course it is. But I don't think we can say for sure yet that is the case. Give Todd one more year to see what he can do.

Plus, if you fire him now - Iowa becomes the school who lacks modern facilities and isn't willing to give a coach a chance to stay long enough to build up a winning program. Then no quality coach will ever want to come here.

Please stop with the "wait 'til next year..." ... We will still be horrible next year and the year after ... and ... Pull the plug Barta

The guys bounced back from last weekend and gave GREAT effort as I thought they would.

Stop and pretend this is the Iowa State boards. Do you realize how absurd this comment would be seen by us if Iowa State fans said this about their team?

We are giving accolades because a team "bounced back" from a 14 point loss and only lost by 8 points this time.

I'm not at all knocking the effort our guys gave. But that we can try and spin an 8 point home loss to Illinois as a positve is absurd.

Look at the fan base. I get a laugh out of all the people who get on the message boards saying "I watched the game and the arena was empty". Pathetic, if you really care get off your duff and go to a few games, otherwise save it.

Umm...I live in Georgia and that makes for a long drive to Carver...so do I have permission to say it's pathetic-looking?

I agree with your post, though. People don't go because low scoring, boring offense, a loss seems inevitable, it's cold outside, work the next day, trying to vote Lick out of office, not enough "spending money" in this economy, etc, etc. Some of these ARE valid reasons. Others have stayed away since Alford was there, because they didn't like how he handled certain situations, and maybe justifiably so. But here's a news flash: ALFORD IS GONE!!! Show some loyalty and quit punishing these Hawks.

Wouldn't it be great for Hawkeye nation to truly sell-out CHA once this year? Pick a date and everybody go support the Hawks. A loud house, even if the game results in a "L" will make it a fun event to attend, will encourage the young Hawks, and will undoubtedly inspire them to play beyond their abilities. Why not set a date and show your support, not necessarily for Lickliter, but for these Hawkeye players that hate losing even more than we do?

if ur talking about fans not being in the stands, there is 0% on lick there, that aspect comes down to all of us, the fans. u want better attendance, come to the games urself or encourage others to do so if u are unable.

When you finally wake up and realize that the coach needs to go no matter what happens? If not, what is it going to take for you to come around? This game was humiliating for the fans, and that is when I know that change is needed

Hawks have a couple bad games and look who's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you dont like the fact the arena is empty? Look at the fanbase. If you don't like the visiting fans were louder? Look at the fan base. I get a laugh out of all the people who get on the message boards saying "I watched the game and the arena was empty". Pathetic, if you really care get off your duff and go to a few games, otherwise save it.

Fact: Our fanbase ran the winningest coach in the history of Iowa out of town.
Okay. I don't care. Iowa football is must-see-tv and I take a kid or two to a football game a year. My kids don't care about Iowa BB. And I can't afford $25 games with a family of 7. Especially for a poor product (and by that I mean losing). Wisconsin plays "ugly" BB. But they win. The problem now isn't "ugly" BB, which is what I'm watching most of the time. The problem now is losing, which is what I'm watching most of the time.

But I do agree with fact#1. Fact #2 you listed had, in my opinion, just as much to do with the following coach not taking Iowa to the next level that the previous coach did . . . which is what Bowlsby (and evidently the BIG$) and Davis-haters wanted and promised.

I remember the failing level of 3 of every 4 years going to the NCAA and 1 or every 4 years going to the Sweet 16.

I wonder what the % breakdown of Davis-haters were also SA-supporters who turned into TL-haters. (And the reverse for each of those, too).

Stop and pretend this is the Iowa State boards. Do you realize how absurd this comment would be seen by us if Iowa State fans said this about their team?

We are giving accolades because a team "bounced back" from a 14 point loss and only lost by 8 points this time.

I'm not at all knocking the effort our guys gave. But that we can try and spin an 8 point home loss to Illinois as a positve is absurd.

If you didn't notice a tangible difference in the way the team was playing last night you were watching a different game than everyone else. They were down 11 with 8 minutes to go and cut it to 3 with under a minute, and then had to start fouling. When a team is going to the line and hitting their freebies like Illinois was a 3 point lead can grow pretty quickly.

Based on what, exactly? Would you rather have had them get whitewashed like they did last weekend?

getting out-noised in your own arena in a conference game. thats just about bottom of the barrell right there. do you think that any of the first-timers or casual hawk fans attending that game will want to go back? I doubt it

if ur talking about fans not being in the stands, there is 0% on lick there, that aspect comes down to all of us, the fans. u want better attendance, come to the games urself or encourage others to do so if u are unable.

No that is 100% on lick for putting a crappy, very boring team on the floor.

No that is 100% on lick for putting a crappy, very boring team on the floor.
Yes, I can't reason it out to watch a bad team play boring basketball...And I have been to a couple weeknight games this year (OSU, Illiniois) OSU got my hopes up. But there is NO reason to waste my time to watch this type of basketball...

If that offends some people...oh well. I know these guys are trying and I appreciate that, but that doesn't mean I have to continue to support TL's salary and program. It'd be one thing if we were playing "good" boring basketball...few turnovers, efficient and good defense. But we have NO good defensive bigs when matched against good offensive bigs...(Sims, Tisdale owned us)

If you didn't notice a tangible difference in the way the team was playing last night you were watching a different game than everyone else. They were down 11 with 8 minutes to go and cut it to 3 with under a minute, and then had to start fouling. When a team is going to the line and hitting their freebies like Illinois was a 3 point lead can grow pretty quickly.

By tangible do you mean "moral victory" kind of tangible or "win/loss" (what you're season is measured on) kind of tangible?

By tangible do you mean "moral victory" kind of tangible or "win/loss" (what you're season is measured on) kind of tangible?

I mean that they played better, regardless of the result. I don't go into games expecting this team to win; to do so would be unrealistic.

I mean that they played better, regardless of the result. I don't go into games expecting this team to win; to do so would be unrealistic.

Which brings us back to my point of the absurdity of where we are. We've tempered our expectations to the point we "don't go into games expecting this team to win" that's to "unrealistic"

We are relegated to celebrating 8 point losses under the guise the team "played better".

Which brings us back to my point of the absurdity of where we are. We've tempered our expectations to the point we "don't go into games expecting this team to win" that's to "unrealistic"

We are relegated to celebrating 8 point losses under the guise the team "played better".

I think it sucks too, but that's the reality of it, and leaves me with two options.

1. **** and moan about it, come on here and rip the coaches, players, and administration.

2. Look for signs of improvement from game to game, focus on the positives, and hope that Iowa can play spoiler down the stretch.

Latest posts