Let's be honest!

echo44

That was excellent coaching by Fran throughout this tournament!!!
I noticed as soon as Iowa had a slump in either game he immediately called time out that is something he has not done in the past. His use of the bench has been excellent. He took players out quickly that were slumping or committing stupid mistakes. Yet he put them back to show he still had confidence in them. I also have never seen Iowa play with such teamwork.

Actually he waited a little too long to call time out in the first game. Was happy to see him do better the second game.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t see this coming. I had lost faith in Fran, but this was a huge step in the right direction. I think if JOBO gets right (just seems a little off, maybe injury) and the young guys continue to grow we will surprise some people this year. A long way to go to that but can’t ask for a better start.

And it is great work by the players to all buy in as well. The great thing is now the coaches have tangible evidence to point to the players of what playing tough defense all game long can do for them.
The best part of coaching is being able to point to the results of what hard work can get you. Playing good defense is hard work and it doesn't show up in the individual stat sheet.
They're gonna have fun reviewing this game as a team.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t see this coming. I had lost faith in Fran, but this was a huge step in the right direction. I think if JOBO gets right (just seems a little off, maybe injury) and the young guys continue to grow we will surprise some people this year. A long way to go to that but can’t ask for a better start.

If Bohannon starts shooting good again (which I assume will happen) and Wieskamp becomes a big contributor (which I also assume will happen) that's going to be an incredible starting 5 come big 10 play with Cook, Garza, and Connor.

Don't want to be a Debbie downer but it will be interesting to see if Iowa keeps getting the foul calls once league play begins and the middle school refs are in action. If they do this team can go places. If it's the usual no calls in the paint and stupid ticky tac stuff on the outside called all day I dunno.

Agree with the theme of the thread.

That said, why hasn't this team played any defense the last few years?

Why does Fran say that he has turned a new leaf and realizes defense is important and was lacking, and needs to coach it?

Stunning...

Don't want to be a Debbie downer but it will be interesting to see if Iowa keeps getting the foul calls once league play begins and the middle school refs are in action. If they do this team can go places. If it's the usual no calls in the paint and stupid ticky tac stuff on the outside called all day I dunno.
Exactly what I was thinking.. the refs were calling actual fouls for us, doubt it continues in B1G play.. BAU

Latest posts