Leistikow confirms Petras will start...

The presser was awful...just fucking terrible answers to some questions.

...."the ball goes where it goes"....

kept mentioning SP's resume as if it was something to be proud of.
"The ball goes where it goes"...Glorious answer except lately when we've had the ball it's gone absolutely nowhere 3 straight plays and then back to the other team.

Unfortunately I think currently the only thing on Spencer's resume is something like 1 passing TD in his last 9 starts.

As Kirk sees it the problem is always "execution" and some "things to clean up".
It's never on the coaches.

Dude is in a can't win situation. He can't come out and say "hey, you guys have the tape on Padilla from last year. My kid is a giant fuckstick and Padilla is even worse this year than last year and because we're a bunch of chucklefucks Labas gets some scout team reps but doesn't have any rhythm with the first string WRs and oh by the way he ain't that good either. And if you don't believe me that the backups will have even bigger deer in the headlights looks than Petras just pull up the tape of the Northwestern game from 2009. The situation right now is worse than that, which is why we're going with Spencer."

You see, that is where we probably are, but he can't say it. He made a joke about Deuce Hogan last year and dude pouted and transferred almost immediately. When push comes to shove his priorities in order are:

1) Protecting his own ass
2) Protecting his kid
3) Protecting the fragile egos of his players
62) Deciding what he will eat at Carlos O'Kelly's next time he is there
127) Satiating the informational demands of the rabid fans
He is not in a no win situation. We don't know Padilla would be a deer in the headlights because he doesn't get in. Further, even if Petras is great in practice, he would then seem to be the perfect example of the discrepancy that exists at times between how a player practices vs. how they perform in a game. Especially a QB who isn't getting tackled in practice. So all the more reason to see what Padilla can do in a game relative to recent practices.

It'd almost be impossible to get worse QB play than what Iowa saw the last two games. If Padilla in fact plays like a deer in the headlights and is no better than Petras, fans would go back to grumbling about not getting an upgrade in the portal. People would still be pissed off, but not incensed like they are now. I've been a fan since the early '80s and we've never seen anything quite like this before.

So from that perspective, I'd argue Kirk is actually in a no lose situation by playing Padilla. No way Petras' ego takes much of a hit from that - he already went through it last year, along with brutal booing the past two weeks.

"The ball goes where it goes"...Glorious answer except lately when we've had the ball it's gone absolutely nowhere 3 straight plays and then back to the other team.

On a simple screen pass, the ball better go into the hands of the gawd damn running back.

Jake Christensen was pretty fucking inept as a QB too and we endured that for way too long. But, I agree the last two games are biblically bad.....
The Pitt gut feeling 2nd half was worse than this. But not by much. Mostly because we actually got to see Stanzi be better on the field.

What really makes me nervous is that Petras is going to come out Saturday and throw for something like 235 yrds and 2 TD's. I feel there is a good chance this is just going to be a false mask or a bandaid. He'll be propped up by Ferentz and start the BIG season against Rutgers and that bandaid will be yanked off and we'll be right back to where we are now.

Also, there is a chance we are screwed for a couple or a few years, if indeed, the backup QB's are just as ineffective. We all know that KF is one to play the guy who has the best grasp of the offense and that takes some time to groom a new QB. If the current backups are a push or even worse than the starter now, Iowa is gunna be mediocre for some time. That worries me.
I wouldn't worry too much about the backup qbs. There have been 3 other times where Kirk made the wrong decision at qb so I'll assume this is the 4th time before I assume that every other qb on the roster would do worse than a qb rating of 3.

I see a lot of people saying Padilla wasn't any better last year so he won't help anything. I don't agree with that logic for a few reasons.

1 - One had experience and the other didn't.

2 - One opened up the offense by throwing the ball down field and the other didn't.

3 - One regressed since last year. Maybe the other improved or stayed the same.

4 - A lot of our drives are ending on missed throws to wide open receivers, meaning there are plays out there to be had.

5 - our oline sucks so we need a qb who is more mobile.

The bar isn't set high so it's not like we need someone good to see improvement. Stanzi wasn't very good in '08 but he was an improvement. Rudock was decent in '14 but Beathard was just a little better and could make a few more plays.

When you have a good defense and play close games all the time, a couple completions or scrambles to move the sticks can be the difference between a win and a loss. It could also be the difference between 7-5 and 10-2 and West Champs. That's about as far as this team could go with the rest of the offensive struggles. But that was a realistic goal with last year's Padilla.

He is not in a no win situation. We don't know Padilla would be a deer in the headlights because he doesn't get in. Further, even if Petras is great in practice, he would then seem to be the perfect example of the discrepancy that exists at times between how a player practices vs. how they perform in a game. Especially a QB who isn't getting tackled in practice. So all the more reason to see what Padilla can do in a game relative to recent practices.

It'd almost be impossible to get worse QB play than what Iowa saw the last two games. If Padilla in fact plays like a deer in the headlights and is no better than Petras, fans would go back to grumbling about not getting an upgrade in the portal. People would still be pissed off, but not incensed like they are now. I've been a fan since the early '80s and we've never seen anything quite like this before.

So from that perspective, I'd argue Kirk is actually in a no lose situation by playing Padilla. No way Petras' ego takes much of a hit from that - he already went through it last year, along with brutal booing the past two weeks.
Sensible post.

This is BS to a point. I don't think u have followed KF over the entire time at Iowa and only want to look past a few yrs. He's done changes. But,bi admit he struggles with it and is not quick to pull the trigger as fast as he should. It's not his strong point
Been watching every game since 1981, yes Kirk has made some changes, usually using injuries as an excuse. He has also told us players like Banks, Stanzi, Tate, and CJ were not as good as the starters he was pushing. This just seems different. Last year we were surprised when he went to Padilla. I think he hated it, I think he felt it compromised his integrity. He seems totally committed to not changing and will go down with his ship. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Been watching every game since 1981, yes Kirk has made some changes, usually using injuries as an excuse. He has also told us players like Banks, Stanzi, Tate, and CJ were not as good as the starters he was pushing. This just seems different. Last year we were surprised when he went to Padilla. I think he hated it, I think he felt it compromised his integrity. He seems totally committed to not changing and will go down with his ship. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
Didn't he only go to Padilla because Petras got hurt?

We have the worst offense in FBS.
We have nearly the worst QB in FBS, who has one TD / 9 interceptions in his last 10 games.

What could happen that would be worse?

Unfortunately I think currently the only thing on Spencer's resume is something like 1 passing TD in his last 9 starts.
Just reading a stat like that is insane. 9 games 1 TD pass. It's not like we had 25 rushing TDs during that same stretch either. The O overall is terrible. We won like 7 of those games I suppose. Till now KF has covered up the stink by winning games. He can look at that as it doesn't matter if we are winning. But now that the O is even worse and they are losing directly because of it there's no hiding from it. No amount of Axe body spray is going to cover up that stink

How BF can continue to be employed is beyond me. If KF thinks this whole nepotism thing is going away anytime soon he's in for a rude awakening. After last season ended I was really hoping BF would have ran off to another job. Any job just leave. The optics are as worse as the results of what's going on and this season is nosediving.

Latest posts