Leistikow confirms Petras will start...

33-7

We get Nicco back....or maybe not....according to the presser

13-3 is probably more realistic.

Last edited:
I’m fine with getting beat 3-2 by a horrible Nevada team. Dead serious.

It would be the only thing that could possibly make a change happen. We would still be 0-0 in the division and have the same chance as anyone else going forward.

I don't want to lose 3-2. If we are going to lose I want it to be 2-0. Bonus if the 2 points comes in the 11th overtime. If we get it to 11 OTs I could also deal with losing 4-2.

I don't want to lose 3-2. If we are going to lose I want it to be 2-0. Bonus if the 2 points comes in the 11th overtime. If we get it to 11 OTs I could also deal with losing 4-2.

This would be absolutely jaw-dropping! Probably the most talked about series since the beginning of college OT ... that Petras somehow kept hanging onto the ball to the point that he loses 76 yards in sacks.

Spence was very close on quite a few passes

He was actually within a foot or two most of the time

If he would take a little mustard off the ball every now and then, perhaps we could expect, once in a while, an actual completion

The crowd screaming for the guillotine throughout the course of the game actually adds to his confidence

It's All Good, Lads

Last edited:
My issue with Leistikow is that he's Jekyll and Hyde depending on whether he's in front of either Kirk or Brian, and to a much greater degree than other guys like Dochterman, Hlas, Kennington Smith, Morehouse & Emmert back when they were beat reporters.

Leistikow knows 100% that Kirk and Brian will never read a word he writes about them or hear a word he says about them on a pod. The guy is only critical when there's no chance it'll get back to the boss. He's starstruck anytime he's around those two and it shows like crazy. It is what it is, but I don't like that kind of fakeness. I work with a couple people like that and it's cringey. Also, do you ever stop to think why he's the only guy who's ever given access like that? Same thing last year with Kirk.

It's a me problem, I'm well aware.
Bro did you hear the question he asked Kirk today? and his follow-up

I just heard it on the radio... it is about 1000% opposite of your conclusion here.

Leistikow questioned kirk face to face about the starting QB and then read him the scoring totals of Petras last several starts... which were nearly all single digits.

He then pressed kirk about how "that body of work" was backing up their decision... since they like to use that wording to defend their decision to start him.

Kirk was pretty stumped as to how to answer.

It was brutal.

My issue with Leistikow is that he's Jekyll and Hyde depending on whether he's in front of either Kirk or Brian, and to a much greater degree than other guys like Dochterman, Hlas, Kennington Smith, Morehouse & Emmert back when they were beat reporters.

Leistikow knows 100% that Kirk and Brian will never read a word he writes about them or hear a word he says about them on a pod. The guy is only critical when there's no chance it'll get back to the boss. He's starstruck anytime he's around those two and it shows like crazy. It is what it is, but I don't like that kind of fakeness. I work with a couple people like that and it's cringey. Also, do you ever stop to think why he's the only guy who's ever given access like that? Same thing last year with Kirk.

It's a me problem, I'm well aware.
7:12 mark in the presser

Kirk Ferentz Weekly Press Conference 9/13/2022 - YouTube

After his dismal performance against SDSU, I was disappointed that Petras started the ISU game.
I felt Padilla deserved the chance to start and play a whole game.
I also felt the Nevada game would be a good opportunity to give Labas a whole game.
Give them all a chance and see how they play in game situations.

I just heard it on the radio... it is about 1000% opposite of your conclusion here.

Leistikow questioned kirk face to face about the starting QB and then read him the scoring totals of Petras last several starts... which were nearly all single digits.

He then pressed kirk about how "that body of work" was backing up their decision... since they like to use that wording to defend their decision to start him.

It was brutal.
That was a difficult press conference to comprehend.
I'd like to know what the 'big picture' is that he is referring to with regard to Petras.
Apparently Petras is vastly superior to Padilla and Labas when this 'big picture' is evaluated by the coaches.
Actual 'game day' performance does not appear to be part of this 'big picture'.

It was brutal.
In B4 Leistikow gets blacklisted. No one confronts the captain and gets away with it.

After his dismal performance against SDSU, I was disappointed that Petras started the ISU game.
I felt Padilla deserved the chance to start and play a whole game.
I also felt the Nevada game would be a good opportunity to give Labas a whole game.
Give them all a chance and see how they play in game situations.
Your assuming that their is some sort of fair and open competition and Kirk has a burning desire to win at all cost. Big assumptions.
I figured he would, at least to see how he does with Ragaini and possibly Johnson back. But, I bet you he has a short leash and the plan will be to pull him if he doesn't perform better. How can it not be.

So, I'm not surprised at all they will start with him to give him one last chance against a shitty team. But, don't be surprised if we don't see a backup if the O is still a bit stagnant.
If you've been following Kirk for his career there is no chance anyone but Petras starts, plus no other QB will get ANY significant playing time let alone pass the ball. If, Iowa has a lead Petras will play all the way or until the 2 or 3 minute mop time. Iowa will run the ball. Kirk went into this season after last season determined there will be NO QB controversy. Honestly, if Iowa does make a change forget about Padilla, I want to start over with Joey or May.

I figured he would, at least to see how he does with Ragaini and possibly Johnson back. But, I bet you he has a short leash and the plan will be to pull him if he doesn't

So, I'm not surprised at all they will start with him to give him one last chance against a shitty team. But, don't be surprised if we don't see a backup if the O is still a bit stagnant.
I am going to place a wager on betfred, Caesar and Draftkings that this doesn’t age well on Saturday

You all have pretty short memories... after starting his entire sophomore season it took 7 bad games from Jake Christensen in his junior year before Ricky Stanzi became the starter. Why would anyone think it will happen in less time now?

I will say the media are getting more aggressive with the questions. They are still ignoring the Brian situation.

I will say the media are getting more aggressive with the questions. They are still ignoring the Brian situation.
Because they know it will generate clicks because thats what people want. Iowa is literally THE WORST TEAM. A coach getting paid this much to do this poorly is a gold mine of content

It was brutal.
I haven't heard the exchange, but THIS is the type of question I've been begging for: specific #s contrasted and put alongside KF's own words. Good for L.

I’m fine with getting beat 3-2 by a horrible Nevada team. Dead serious.

It would be the only thing that could possibly make a change happen. We would still be 0-0 in the division and have the same chance as anyone else going forward.
I normally wouldn't go this far, but I'm 100% in agreement with Fry here. If KF is gonna be so stubborn and blinded by Petras "resume", then keep Petras in the entire game and I hope they lose. I'll be there and I promise to not 'boo' if they do. Of course, a more likely loss scenario would be Petras starting & playing 3 quarters, Padilla inserted for the 4th quarter and playing average but Iowa still losing, then afterward KF saying "I told you changing QBs wouldn't solve everything!"

If I'm Padilla or Labas......I'm pretty disheartened.
KF is providing an excellent example of one-sided loyalty: his loyalty to Petras is to a fault, yet he seemingly does not recognize the INCREDIBLE loyalty that Padilla showed by not departing after the end of last season, or following spring ball. By staying he single-handedly gave KF the backup QB lifejacket he needed if Petras got hurt.
If I was Padilla, after today's presser I would freakin' pack up and leave -- what a joke.

Latest posts