Kirk announces coaching staff adjustments

CPHAWK82

Looks like Brian Ferentz will be coordinating at least a portion of the offense.....

B9rVFMvCUAEhYTo.png

I'm wondering what happened to Coach Hernandez now that Levar Woods has moved to TE's. Did he leave? Also, how does one guy do just running offense? Who decides whether they're going to run on that particular down? Seems like a lot of shuffling chairs to me.

Last edited:
I don't get it, why is he doing this?

Exactly. If a member of the staff isn't doing a good enough job then they need to be replaced. Why would they all of a sudden do a good job at a different position? I could see it when Morgan went from OL to DL, especially with Brian coming in, but this all just seems weird.

I thought KF did some of this a few years ago. Other than replacing Norm & KOK, I thought some coaches were simply shuffled to different units.

Throw everyone in a pot, put the lid on, shake it up real good, see who lands where, and hope for better results. OK.

Not sure I understand the philosophy behind taking a coach off of one unit and putting him on another. All the sudden coaching a different position.. Call me crazy, but wouldn't there be at least some kind of a learning curve or adjustment period involved with that?

Full press release

IOWA CITY, Iowa - University of Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz announced a change in coaching responsibilities for assistant coaches LeVar Woods, Seth Wallace, and Brian Ferentz. The assignment changes take effect immediately.

Woods will serve as Iowa's tight ends coach after coaching Hawkeye linebackers the past three seasons. Brian Ferentzwill continue as Iowa's offensive line coach while also becoming Iowa's run-game coordinator. Seth Wallace, who was named Iowa's recruiting coordinator last June, will coach Iowa's cornerbacks and nickel backs after assisting with the defensive line in 2014.

"I believe these adjustments in coaching responsibilities will add to our efficiency and productivity as a staff," said Ferentz. "We have an outstanding group of teachers and we look forward to the challenge of building a strong 2015 Hawkeye football team."

Wallace previously was a graduate assistant coach with the Hawkeyes (2006-08), working with the defensive secondary. He rejoined the Iowa staff from Valdosta State (2009-13), where he served as defensive coordinator from 2011-13.

Brian Ferentz has coached the Iowa offensive line the past three seasons, joining the Hawkeye staff after spending four years with the NFL's New England Patriots. Iowa averaged just over 400 yards of total offense per game in 2014, surpassing that total for the first time since 2005 while averaging 28.2 points per game. Senior left tackle Brandon Scherff won the 2014 Outland Trophy, was the Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year in the Big Ten, and earned unanimous consensus All-America honors.

Woods, like Brian Ferentz, was a three-year letterman for the Hawkeyes and both are former team captains. In his first two seasons as Iowa's linebacker coach, Woods coached three linebackers who made their way to the National Football League as rookies in 2014. Christian Kirksey, Anthony Hitchens, and James Morris combined for more than 950 career tackles.

Woods, along with Hawkeye assistant Jim Reid, were named by FootballScoop as national Linebackers Coaches of the Year in 2013. Reid will continue to coach the Hawkeye linebackers.

This is straight from Belichick, you put guys in different spots so they learn all the angles and are able to move them up when needed to a coordinator spot. Translation, Brian will be OC in 2016.

We've seen this before from Ferentz a couple years ago. Instead of finding coaches outside the program to come in and coach their specialty, he thinks moving coaches to a different position within the coaching staff will work.
Not sure if he's lazy, loyal, smart, or a combination of all 3.

I don't get it, why is he doing this?

I posted this on another site. I haven't changed my mind in the 2 minutes it took me to login over here.

These changes are superficial and done only to say "see, I made changes." Run-game coordinator? Really? There are only two flipping running plays in the entire offense, stretch right and stretch left. This is just a back door way to give BF credit as a "coordinator" and I don't like it one bit. You know, I'm just done with kfootball. Woods is one season away from sending 2 lb's to the pros, some of the all-time statistical greats and a trio of backers that started 3 seasons together, and he now needs to coach the tight ends? Really? Now you make your recruiting coordinator responsible for something that is NOT RECRUITING! Really?!

Geeez.

This is straight from Belichick, you put guys in different spots so they learn all the angles and are able to move them up when needed to a coordinator spot. Translation, Brian will be OC in 2016.

Do you think the new HC will retain BF and promote him to OC?

Nothing but two big middle fingers from KF. Nothing to see here move on.

That's is fine. KF will be the one getting the middle finger after next season. Next season will be no better than this season. probably worse. He will not survive that again. He will be gone and his legacy tarnished.

That's football

That's is fine. KF will be the one getting the middle finger after next season. Next season will be no better than this season. probably worse. He will not survive that again. He will be gone and his legacy tarnished.

That's football

Agree. If Iowa finishes with another 7-5 record, despite his pleas that we had a new starting QB, OT's, and replacing Iowa's all time leading WR.....to just give it more time.

These coaching changes don't make sense. Assume Reid takes over LB's full time. He seems like a decent enough coach, and him and Woods did wonders for our LB's last year. There was nothing they could do with this season's group though. They are not Big10 players. While Morris, Hitchens, Kirksey struggled at times, they NEVER gave up the big plays like this year's group.

But now Woods is over the TE. OK. They don't really do much in our offense anyway, despite being a position of strength for the team.

And you take Wallace away from recruiting to coach DBs? Is this to give more time to Parker so he can develop different schemes? Wallace was a GA years ago, and then coached in whatever division he was in (division III?). Why is he qualified to coach a big10 group?

I have no idea what a Run Coordinator is. Does this mean it'll take us even longer to get our plays called in because we can't decide to run stretch left, or pass 3 yards out?

Yea.... I'm not sure what to think other then Brian is just being further groomed into getting the OC job in a yr or two and eventually HC. And does Woods have any offensive backround at all? He's always been a LB coach has he not? That's an odd one. Now as far as positive ones go I like that Phil is releinquishing the DBs. He's been a hell of a coach of those over the years but he needs to get better at in game coaching and adjustments. Blowing leads to ISU/Nebraska like they did just can't happen and that's as much on him as anyone...

If BF is somehow made head coach at Iowa, I will switch to USC or UCLA (I'll go off of who has the better cheerleaders) since I'm in San Diego now.

Agree. If Iowa finishes with another 7-5 record, despite his pleas that we had a new starting QB, OT's, and replacing Iowa's all time leading WR.....to just give it more time.

These coaching changes don't make sense. Assume Reid takes over LB's full time. He seems like a decent enough coach, and him and Woods did wonders for our LB's last year. There was nothing they could do with this season's group though. They are not Big10 players. While Morris, Hitchens, Kirksey struggled at times, they NEVER gave up the big plays like this year's group.

But now Woods is over the TE. OK. They don't really do much in our offense anyway, despite being a position of strength for the team.

And you take Wallace away from recruiting to coach DBs? Is this to give more time to Parker so he can develop different schemes? Wallace was a GA years ago, and then coached in whatever division he was in (division III?). Why is he qualified to coach a big10 group?

I have no idea what a Run Coordinator is. Does this mean it'll take us even longer to get our plays called in because we can't decide to run stretch left, or pass 3 yards out?
Coached a pretty good defense at Valdosta State, so I think he can handle the cornerbacks. Still think we need someone who concentrates purely on recruiting, though.

I think Kinnick will be burnt to the ground long before fans let this happen. No way, no how will another Turdentz ever be HC at Iowa.

Latest posts