Kirk announces coaching staff adjustments

No offense to DJ, but I'm not sure you want him as the face of the program right now. You know with his brother and everything, it could make him recruiting a tough sell with the trial being so public.

Yeah I thought that too, but I can't think of what he's going to do. They didn't say he was leaving, unless that info is yet to come out.

Agree. If Iowa finishes with another 7-5 record, despite his pleas that we had a new starting QB, OT's, and replacing Iowa's all time leading WR.....to just give it more time.

These coaching changes don't make sense. Assume Reid takes over LB's full time. He seems like a decent enough coach, and him and Woods did wonders for our LB's last year. There was nothing they could do with this season's group though. They are not Big10 players. While Morris, Hitchens, Kirksey struggled at times, they NEVER gave up the big plays like this year's group.

But now Woods is over the TE. OK. They don't really do much in our offense anyway, despite being a position of strength for the team.

And you take Wallace away from recruiting to coach DBs? Is this to give more time to Parker so he can develop different schemes? Wallace was a GA years ago, and then coached in whatever division he was in (division III?). Why is he qualified to coach a big10 group?

I have no idea what a Run Coordinator is. Does this mean it'll take us even longer to get our plays called in because we can't decide to run stretch left, or pass 3 yards out?

Coaches frequently mix things up. It does get assistants ready to move up either within their current program or to go to another program.

And you're complaining about a DIII position coach moving up? You'd probably be against Dana Holgorsen then; his first coaching job was a GA at Iowa Wesleyan.

Oklahoma has had a Run Coordinator for several seasons, to name one program. There are many SEC programs that have a Run Coordinator and a Pass Coordinator. There's a little more to it than just deciding what play to run.

Coaches frequently mix things up. It does get assistants ready to move up either within their current program or to go to another program.

And you're complaining about a DIII position coach moving up? You'd probably be against Dana Holgorsen then; his first coaching job was a GA at Iowa Wesleyan.

Oklahoma has had a Run Coordinator for several seasons, to name one program. There are many SEC programs that have a Run Coordinator and a Pass Coordinator. There's a little more to it than just deciding what play to run.

Yes, coaches do typically mix things up. Usually by letting coaches go when things aren't working.

KF made changes four years ago. Can you honestly say things have gotten better since these changes were made? Nearly every facet of our football team has degraded in performance.

Stoops let coaches go, and he's in his 16th year. KF just shuffles the deck.

I agree it's good to give up and coming coaches their chance. Sounds like Wallace was a decent coach for a very small school. KF has his reasons for making him in charge of recruiting.

If there was one group I would not change, it would be the DB's. While we didn't have the strongest unit last year, typically our DB's are strong. They are strong in run support, decent in coverage (I say decent because most end up as safeties in the NFL) and move on to the next level.

Now we take the coach responsible (Phil Parker) and move him off, and we'll see how Wallace does.

I go back to the point I stated earlier, KF made changes four years ago. Is the program better because of it?

I'm okay with this. Let BF take some questions about the outside zone into the short side calls...maybe that will stop? Let him be accountable. So far, he's had about the easiest job/unit assignment on the staff. If he is worth the hire, he needs to do more.

Actually, our tight end production literally was ground to a halt after Hernandez came aboard. Do you not remember we had a string of putting TEs in the NFL almost every year, and utilizing them to the fullest broken a couple of years ago? That coincides with Hernandez joining the staff. Just cause a coach has a bro in the NFL does not make him a good coach. Similarly, just cause a guy has a dad who is the head coach does not make him a good coach.

So.. what happened to coach Hernandez at the TE position? Anyone heard? I hope he hasn't left, he's been one hell of a Tight End producer for us.

What in the hell does Run Game Coordinator mean anyway? Do any other teams in all of college football have person on staff with this title? Has KF been sniffing still wet paint in the new football facility? He has to have to come up with a title like this.

This program has gone beyond joke status. I'm sure Meyer, Harbaugh and Dantonio are sitting in their office laughing their butts off at these so called coaching adjustments.

The only regrets they have is they don't get to play Iowa next year.

What in the hell does Run Game Coordinator mean anyway? Do any other teams in all of college football have person on staff with this title? Has KF been sniffing still wet paint in the new football facility? He has to have to come up with a title like this.
I guess you haven't read thru the thread. And a 10-second google search would have given you plenty of info and examples of run game coordinators.

I am probably as disappointed with KF as everyone else is. But I don't understand the automatic, visceral responses of criticizing every KF move or comment without at least putting some thought into it.

I guess you haven't read thru the thread. And a 10-second google search would have given you plenty of info and examples of run game coordinators.

I am probably as disappointed with KF as everyone else is. But I don't understand the automatic, visceral responses of criticizing every KF move or comment without at least putting some thought into it.

You're right. I researched it and found other programs have this position as well. With the problems this program has these "ADJUSTMENTS" still mean very little. I should have known KF would not be the first coach to have a Run Game Coordinator.

The automatic visceral responses to KF however are a result of the state of this program for the past several years. You certainly do understand this I hope.

This is where I'm at. It is like all reasoned thought is gone from people.

Playmaker wrote: No it won't....Hawk fans have let EVERYTHING happen to this program!!![/QUOTE]

Wow, you blame the coaches, blame the media, blame the fans. It's like one big conspiracy, and you're the only one not responsible.

Or is it maybe ENTIRELY your fault, and you're throwing shade on everyone else to take the scent off you?

The more I think about it this move makes sense. Because, Davis's idea of a run play is a 2 yard diagonal pass.

What the hell does a recruiting coordinator do, anyway? I mean, the program basically sells itself at this time. Hashtag winning!

Come on Dean. KF's moves have no reason to them so in my mind we are being reasonable with our thoughts.

You are so far down the "visceral" rabbit hole, you can't even see it. You may not agree with his moves, but to say he has "no reason" for them is just once again a "visceral" reaction. Because if you honestly think that KF has put NO REASONED THOUGHT into this, it isn't even worth having this debate, as no reason or logic will sway your "visceral" reaction to this.

You are so far down the "visceral" rabbit hole, you can't even see it. You may not agree with his moves, but to say he has "no reason" for them is just once again a "visceral" reaction. Because if you honestly think that KF has put NO REASONED THOUGHT into this, it isn't even worth having this debate, as no reason or logic will sway your "visceral" reaction to this.

Ok, my bad. He has a reason for his moves. It's just the fact his moves over the past several years suck. The results are in the win/loss column and are starting to show in ticket sales. Next year will be even worse. Luckily Iowa is in the west division and don't play the top teams in the B1G. If they did, we'd be looking at 4-8 every year.

KF's only good move was hiring Norm Parker. When he retired Hawkeye football became an average program at best.

Latest posts