Keith Murphy Chimes In

fdc92a975ba535a37058c4174a7d2de6.png

I'm dead.

Back on topic, theres more to this than anything being racist. Nothing said by Barta? Fran? Everyone knows there was tensions.
This is just an easy out

I'm dead.

Back on topic, theres more to this than anything being racist. Nothing said by Barta? Fran? Everyone knows there was tensions.
This is just an easy out

Yep. I stand by my comments about our society in general, but the more I hear about this, the more it sounds like a generic (but petty) excuse to get rid of Dolph.

We disagree on use of the name. Over time I would guess my opinion would be more common. I do think he should have been aware and he might have or shoild have been cautioned.
I really hope you are taking the least popular side of this just of the sake of debate. This whole thing is just a ridiculous joke. Anyone who truly believes that he deserves to be suspended for this is either
A. Stupid
B. Maybe racist themselves?
C. Has a personal issue with Dolph

There is a time and a place for PC, THIS isn't one of them.

Let's say you're at a party with 101 people in attendance. The host gives a speech and 85 people find it worthwhile. But 15 people find it offensive.
Is it better to live in a society where 85% determine a norm (what is normative), or where 15% make that determination?

1uqpy1.jpg

(btw, for those who reply with, "I want a society where no one gets offended". Sorry, that doesn't exist because it can't exist. Utopia is a fiction pushed by people seeking to rule over others)

Let's say you're at a party with 101 people in attendance. The host gives a speech and 85 people find it worthwhile. But 15 people find it offensive.
Is it better to live in a society where 85% determine a norm (what is normative), or where 15% make that determination?

1uqpy1.jpg

(btw, for those who reply with, "I want a society where no one gets offended". Sorry, that doesn't exist because it can't exist. Utopia is a fiction pushed by people seeking to rule over others)

What about a situation where someone says something on the radio and 20,000 people aren't offended and 1 person is?

I really hope you are taking the least popular side of this just of the sake of debate. This whole thing is just a ridiculous joke. Anyone who truly believes that he deserves to be suspended for this is either
A. Stupid
B. Maybe racist themselves?
C. Has a personal issue with Dolph

If you are referring to me...yes silly unless he was given directive. If not he should be directed not to do it again.
Dolph is one of the best.
A and B has no merit with anyone.

I asked every black former player and black basketball coach that run with, what they thought about that comment. In that context, each and every one of them (a dozen or so) considered it a compliment. Not a racist term in any way, shape or form. Context matters. If Fernando had never got off the bench and Dolph made that comparison, for some strange reason...that's a different story.

Unfortunately a quick pole of a handful of black people isn't going to necessarily portray the scale of public opinion. There are also tons of white people who are trained to hyper sensitivity and will undoubtedly see it as a taboo comment. Once the race card was played there is little chance to put that card back into the deck.

You can't get away with saying anything even boarderline racist in today's world without it ending up all over social media. What dolph said wasnt all over social media. One person complained. One. That tells me without a doubt that what he said wasnt even boarderline racist.

That was before the story came out. Check again now. I have read countless comments labeling it racist. Sheep don't have a mind of their own.

That was before the story came out. Check again now. I have read countless comments labeling it racist. Sheep don't have a mind of their own.

Once someone connected the dots for me, I can at least understand the issue. The problem I have is what kind of person you have to be to connect those dots yourself.

Why should have Dolph know better? Players are called “King Kong”, “Beast”, “Animals” and many other things in a sporting context that wouldn’t normally be considered a complement, but when used in a sporting context ARE COMPLIMNETS, as @lightning1 said, context matters.

There isn’t a national outrage over this because even the PC police think there is no “here”, here. There was one single email sent about what he said, that is it, and even after all this you don’t even have groups that are specifically run to blow crap out of proportion jumping on this.

I'm sorry to argue with you because I agree with your big picture take on this. However you are twisting the truth. There was no initial outrage, correct. That simply doesn't mean there is none now. The story went national and now there are millions of opinions on the matter and if you spent time reading the comments sections of the national articles you would see that the instant racism outrage group is well represented and happy to sink their teeth into more creative racism sandbagging. Then there are a majority of people who believe that while not completely racist the comment is to racially sensitive and that punishment should still he had.

I'm sorry to argue with you because I agree with your big picture take on this. However you are twisting the truth. There was no initial outrage, correct. That simply doesn't mean there is none now. The story went national and now there are millions of opinions on the matter and if you spent time reading the comments sections of the national articles you would see that the instant racism outrage group is well represented and happy to sink their teeth into more creative racism sandbagging. Then there are a majority of people who believe that while not completely racist the comment is to racially sensitive and that punishment should still he had.

I'm guessing that group represents a very small percentage of the population but, unfortunately, they are very vocal. Most everyone else probably doesn't want to stick their neck out on the subject or they get labeled a bigot.

We just disagree I guess.I eould know that one. I made a comment that I shouldnt have in college in front of a black student that I liked. The look on hurt on his face was real.

To some of us it seems easier to see.

There ya go again with that moral/ethical self-righteousness. But the telltale of your college stunt pretty much explains it.

Bottom line: If you're white, and you dare to even open your mouth to even attempt to compliment a minority.. ESPECIALLY if they are black.... WATCH OUT. Right or wrong, you're risking your career and reputation. It's safer just to say nothing.

People talk about equality.. But what's going on in this country feels more like revenge than anything else.

I think it would be naive to not assume that at least a healthy percentage of racial outrage against white people stems from the desire for revenge or retribution.

I'm guessing that group represents a very small percentage of the population but, unfortunately, they are very vocal. Most everyone else probably doesn't want to stick their neck out on the subject or they get labeled a bigot.

I feel that is likely the case.

Latest posts