Keith Murphy Chimes In

A key point in Murphy's piece, was that two days went by and nothing. Suddenly it comes out of the woodwork, anonymously. That smells of an agenda...not an honest reaction.
The timing is what really gets me. Nobody knew anything of it until a few hours before tip off of a home basketball game?

If Barta really did want him gone (which is pretty apparent), my guess is the comment was brought to his attention. He didn’t know if he had something or not but knew if he was going to act he couldn’t let Dolph call another game. So then madness ensues with the extremely poorly timed press release just hours before tipoff of a game, and Barta not stepping up and answering questions he knew he wasn’t prepared for.

Just another of the several debacles created by the completely inept Gary Barta.

Can you not discuss wo insults? People do associate it. Not so much whites from Iowa.

None of us know whether it was a slip to an outright racist comment with not knowing or caring to being rebellious against a directive.

You never convince some tgat he should have known better in todays world.

I get the Barta hate. It needs to be looked at independent of that. If he was instructed not to do that.....

Any broadcaster should study what not to say.
I asked every black former player and black basketball coach that run with, what they thought about that comment. In that context, each and every one of them (a dozen or so) considered it a compliment. Not a racist term in any way, shape or form. Context matters. If Fernando had never got off the bench and Dolph made that comparison, for some strange reason...that's a different story.

He didn't call him a monkey or an ape, he called him King Kong as it relates to strength under the basketball hoop. Much like in the movie The Scout where Steve Nebraska was referenced as "Kong". Dolph's comment was a compliment and used the Kong reference to indicate strength. Only a PC fool, or a SJW, would take it any other way.

Unless you are black. Then your premise is wrong to the extent you mention. Only a fool or a white person not being sensitve to say otherwise. In Steve King s district Im pretty sure youd be right on the majoriy. In the city of Waterloo the percentages offended would be different.

You can't get away with saying anything even boarderline racist in today's world without it ending up all over social media. What dolph said wasnt all over social media. One person complained. One. That tells me without a doubt that what he said wasnt even boarderline racist.

I asked every black former player and black basketball coach that run with, what they thought about that comment. In that context, each and every one of them (a dozen or so) considered it a compliment. Not a racist term in any way, shape or form. Context matters. If Fernando had never got off the bench and Dolph made that comparison, for some strange reason...that's a different story.

Go to Waterloo into certain minority areas and ask that question individually or in a group of none college athletes.

Has any announcer/tv personality gotten in trouble for comparing a player to 'King Kong' before? Not monkeys or apes or donkeys or anything else. Specifically 'King Kong'. This indirectly tying of things together needs to stop. They need to be specific if we are going to have peoples jobs on the line. Or is Dolph in 2019 blazing a new path here? I think the liberal PC folks in Iowa City pulling the strings should lay out what their acceptable & unacceptable vocabulary words may be. And do the rules in IC go for the rest of the world? I bet all the comparing of players will slow down after this....

Monkey = primate

King Kong = ape = primate.

To say there is no link at all is disenegenuous

To say there IS a link is also a huge stretch. King Kong was a fictitious giant Gorilla. If you really want to try hard and translate "giant fictitious Gorilla" into "Ape" and then translate "Ape" to be racist towards a black person...then you're trying way too hard to get outraged.

Unless you are black. Then your premise is wrong to the extent you mention. Only a fool or a white person not being sensitve to say otherwise. In Steve King s district Im pretty sure youd be right on the majoriy. In the city of Waterloo the percentages offended would be different.

If you are black and are offended by being compared to King Kong then you are just a PC and SJW fool. He used it as a very clear indication of strength, NOTHING more.

Few things are more amusing than white people being offended FOR black people. Of course you should choose your words more carefully, I think we all agree on that. But the virtue signalling and outrage by proxy stuff from uninvolved third parties is getting to be a bit much.

Few things are more amusing than white people being offended FOR black people. Of course you should choose your words more carefully, I think we all agree on that. But the virtue signalling and outrage by proxy stuff from uninvolved third parties is getting to be a bit much.

I give it a 30000% chance that the one person who reported Dolph for saying "king kong" was white and projecting their perceived racism.

I give it a 30000% chance that the one person who reported Dolph for saying "king kong" was white and projecting their perceived racism.
I don't think it was ever 'reported' as far as someone sending a complaint to them or Leerfield. Sounds like it was just an internal thing amongst the boss's/decision makers.

Go to Waterloo into certain minority areas and ask that question individually or in a group of none college athletes.
One of the guys I asked, is from Waterloo. Used to hoop. Coaches basketball right now. The term was used to describe a dominant athletic performance. Context matters. If I'm working the counter at Popeye's and I ask a minority "how many pieces of fried chicken do you want?" That's not racist. If I walk up to a bunch of minorities on a street corner in Waterloo and ask the same question...that's racist as hell. Context matters.

My family went to Colorado for a vacation a couple of years ago. On the way back we stopped in Nebraska-can't remember the town-for a meal at King Kong's restaurant. It was a greasy burger joint and the food wasn't that great. It never occurred to me whatsoever that it was a racist name for a restaurant, since it was a burger place. However, if they sold fried chicken there, a racial component might have occurred to me. It all depends on context I guess. In the context Dolph used, there was no racial intent whatsoever.

He didn't call him a monkey or an ape, he called him King Kong as it relates to strength under the basketball hoop. Much like in the movie The Scout where Steve Nebraska was referenced as "Kong". Dolph's comment was a compliment and used the Kong reference to indicate strength. Only a PC fool, or a SJW, would take it any other way.

EXACTLY!!

One of the guys I asked, is from Waterloo. Used to hoop. Coaches basketball right now. The term was used to describe a dominant athletic performance. Context matters. If I'm working the counter at Popeye's and I ask a minority "how many pieces of fried chicken do you want?" That's not racist. If I walk up to a bunch of minorities on a street corner in Waterloo and ask the same question...that's racist as hell. Context matters.

Great analogy.

Not outraged. If youve followed I simply said that firing should be dependent on what he was previosly informed. Its not genuine to suggest that whites cant say....hey relook at that. Basically Ive said what you just said minus the outrage insinuation.

You are correct but Im not incorrect either. Bottom line. DOLPH SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

Latest posts