Keeler Blog

True, but we can stop giving that money. It works both ways.

And that process started about 4 years ago...

Two ways to change it. A) Bring in a coach to slowly build a program B) Bring in a coach that will ignite the fan base and put butts in the seats.

Barta decide route A was the alternative 3 years ago and bailed on it. So, he has only one route in my mind and that is B.

From Keeler's most recent blog:

"That’s the buzz from WGN radio’s David Kaplan, who included this paragraph in a blog posted at 11:55 p.m. Wednesday evening:
Iowa is also looking for a new coach after firing Todd Lickliter and appears to be looking for a lower-priced alternative after paying big money to Lickliter in his settlement. Sources confirmed to me on Wednesday night that Iowa is talking to Dayton’s Brian Gregory, Tulsa’s Doug Wojcik, Utah’s Jim Boylen, and Wright State’s Brad Brownell. Three of the candidates (Gregory, Wojcik, and Boylen) all worked as assistants at Michigan State for Tom Izzo."

NO THANKS!

Kaplan is a blow-hard...who knows nothing about the Iowa job search.

I will never forget the time I was at an Iowa vs NW bb game in evanston and was poaching a great seat in the empty NW boosters section,and Kaplan came and sat by me...I recognized him right away as a TV sports guy who is a NW fan. Started talking about Iowa, and told him Andre Woolridge was a great player,....he had never heard of him,and doubted it....Andre beat NW that nite...he left at halftime...arse-hat.

I don't believe we would end up paying Gregory or Wojcik less than we paid Lick. It might not cost as much to hire coaches of the stature of Boylen or Brownell, but I don't believe we're even considering them.

What the hell would David Kaplan of WGN radio know?

Kaplan is a former college assistant coach and NBA scout. He has many connections in the college coaching world. Doesn't mean on this case he knows what he is talking about but I do know he is pretty close to Tom Izzo (a.k.a "Michigan State coaching ties")

Kaplan is on KXNO right now. Reiterated that Gregory is the leading candidate, and that Wojcik and Brownell are in the mix. He thinks there could be movement this weekend since Dayton doesn't play again til Tuesday.

Not surprisingly, Perrault took the opportunity to take some cheap shots at Iowa, saying Gregg Marshall would have been crazy to take the Iowa job.

Brownell would not be my first choice..

What have we gone from University of Iowa, to Iowa CC? Honestly, Wright State?

but he's not a nobody. Took UNC Wilmington to the tournament twice and has won over 60 games in 3 years at Wright State, including an NCAA berth. He's displayed some success at places where it's not easy to win.

If the Wojcik or Gregory names don't work out, it would seem to make sense to move on to Forbes (a guy who views Iowa as his destination job) over a Brownell, who may view it as a venue to something better.

Brownell is in the mix and he's a lot better than some of you think. I hate to admit it but we arent looked upon as favorably as we think. A big 10 program that is down and about out. Old arena , poor attendance, unfinished practice facility. I dont think were going to be getting this splash hire we were hoping to. I thought we were but it doesnt appear as it is going to pan out.

Kaplan is on KXNO right now. Reiterated that Gregory is the leading candidate, and that Wojcik and Brownell are in the mix. He thinks there could be movement this weekend since Dayton doesn't play again til Tuesday.

Not surprisingly, Perrault took the opportunity to take some cheap shots at Iowa, saying Gregg Marshall would have been crazy to take the Iowa job.

I'm surprised that you could understand Perrault at all with Jacobsen's crank in his mouth.

Latest posts