Just got a text from the coaching community

Gregory has made the NCAA's twice in 7 seasons. He's been over .500 three times in his career in conference and inherited a good situation at Dayton.

He's not the guy Iowa wants.

Iowa isn't going to get anyone who has been a stamp in the NCAA Tourny. This is just not a realistic IMO.

I'm convinced now that Iowa needs to find someone who can make a name for himself.

Iowa isn't going to get anyone who has been a stamp in the NCAA Tourny. This is just not a realistic IMO.

I'm convinced now that Iowa needs to find someone who can make a name for himself.

I totally agree. That being said, what Gregory has not been able to do at Dayton is a concern to me.

I don't think it's all that hard to get the tag of being a 'good recruiter' when you work for Tom Izzo.

These names are all rather depressing, IMHO. This rebuilding job needs a master carpenter. A crew of 'em, in fact. Instead, it looks like we're going to get the guy who runs nails and hammers around the work site and runs down to Casey's when someone needs coffee ... aargh.

I will say that if Gregory can potentially bring some of his recruits that might change things for me.

Iowa isn't going to get anyone who has been a stamp in the NCAA. This is just not a realistic get IMO.

Iowa basketball doesn't have time for that. As I've said before, you could have gone that route when Alford left, but it's pretty much do or die for the basketball program. I understand Iowa has to rebuild, but time is running out. If this next hire doesn't work out, Iowa basketball will be all but dead. The situation has gone from bad to worse (who would have though) from Alford to Lick. I don't even want to know how it could feel worse but rock bottom is getting near.

I'll take an assistant that knows how to recruit his b***s off and has been around a big time winning program rather than some guy that has been a head coach.

Being a head coach is over rated.

Why is it in football, hiring coordinators is totally fine, but in basketball, hiring an assistant is some sort of cardinal sin?

I remember Jon had mentioned Wojcik before, he seems to have pretty decent pedigree. Obviously there are no guarantees on success but I like him over Gregory who hasn't done much at Dayton...

Iowa basketball doesn't have time for that. As I've said before, you could have gone that route when Alford left, but it's pretty much do or die for the basketball program. I understand Iowa has to rebuild, but time is running out. If this next hire doesn't work out, Iowa basketball will be all but dead. The situation has gone from bad to worse (who would have though) from Alford to Lick. I don't even want to know how it could feel worse but rock bottom is getting near.

Iowa Basketball program has more time than you think. It's been around longer than all of us. Time isn't running out.

Interesting tidbit with Wojcik:
His high school coach was Wake Forest head coach Skip Prosser.

When I saw the headline I thought the entire coaching community had texted Jon. Talk about sources!!! :)

Jon, you realize that notwithstanding your disclaimer this will be recast within minutes as "Miller says all former MSU assistants want the job and will be interviewed."

All kidding aside, I guess I'd be modestly surprised if all three of these guys got an interview. But if I had to rank them, Wojcik would be at the top and Boylen would be far behind the other two.

I get the feeling that coaches can be both the best and the worst sources in a situation like this. Lots of gossip, sometimes not a lot of facts. But sometimes, they are the ones with the straight dope.

Iowa Basketball program has more time than you think. It's been around longer than all of us.

Interesting tidbit with Wojcik:
His high school coach was Wake Forest head coach Skip Prosser.
Yes but Barta fired Lick because of money mainly. Winning changes everything but the program needs a jolt first.

Jon, you realize that notwithstanding your disclaimer this will be recast within minutes as "Miller says all former MSU assistants want the job and will be interviewed."

Yes and the disclaimer was added so I could link back to the post to spell it out when that happens :)

I totally agree. That being said, what Gregory has not been able to do at Dayton is a concern to me.

I don't think it's all that hard to get the tag of being a 'good recruiter' when you work for Tom Izzo.

That is my concern as well. He has not placed high in the A10 and I don't think Dayton's position in the A10 is as bad as Iowa's in the Big Ten. However, if he would bring the recruits he has signed this year than I might be very interested. If not than I like Wojcik better.

I don't really think the Gregory thing is in play. But Boylen's name has been thrown around a lot in the last day, and Wojcik's name has been consistent.

Latest posts