Just got a text from the coaching community

At this point, Barta at least needs to hire someone who has at least recruited in a BCS level basketball conference or big-time basketball school.

I would definitely take an assistant who has at least recruited in the big leagues over another mid-major coach who has not (Todd Lickliter clone).

Gregory has a top 50 recruit coming from Oak Hill and Brandon Spearmon of Simeon HS(illinois state champ) is a top 125 player at least.
If he brought these two with him...he would look better.
I hope Gillipie or Barbee are frontrunners,but if they fall thru, then Gregory or Wojick,I suppose...not sure about any of these three tho.

I'd take Forbes over any of these 3. I also like Barbee. But, IMO I'd rather have a guy with ties to the program come (regardless of experience) than some mid major that hasn't done very well at his current school (Boylen). Barta's legacy may rest on this choice as if this coach fails, Barta might not be around to pick the next one. I don't like what I'm reading here, I was hoping for a shot in the arm for this program, but it doesn't sound like we are going to get one.

Maybe we can get a combo of Jacobson as HC with Forbes as his right hand man? I would take either of these two over any of the others mentioned just because I would feel like they want to be in Iowa City.

Obviously there are no guarantees on success but I like him over Gregory who hasn't done much at Dayton...

But Wojcik has at Tulsa? It's not like that program is a graveyard for coaches either. They were a pick to make the tournament this year also.

It's fair to say that Dayton underachieved this year. You should also consider that he is the best recruiter of the bunch, has spent about a dozen years in the Big Ten as an assistant, has 7 years of head experience and is still only 43.

Dickie Vitale was just on Garman and Cotler's show, he recommened Lavin and said he would be interested(I think I remember this about week ago),at that point I was uninterested. But that's when I had some unrealistic pipe dreams. I could sign up for Lavin right now. IS he uptembo????

Again, some of you guys act like Barta can have whoever he wants simply because we're in the Big Ten and he can spend $2M. That's not how it works.

What "name" do you think is interested right now?

What is more sad is that these guys are judging all of these canidate based on their espn profile and the fact that they have never heard of them before.

Personally, I want a guy who is hungry, a guy who has a clear plan and is able to easily articulate that plan, and a guy who can sell the program to kids. I don't care if he can sell the program to message board malcontents.

What is more sad is that these guys are judging all of these canidate based on their espn profile and the fact that they have never heard of them before.

Personally, I want a guy who is hungry, a guy who has a clear plan and is able to easily articulate that plan, and a guy who can sell the program to kids. I don't care if he can sell the program to message board malcontents.

Well ghost what are we supposed to judge them on? Of course the most important thing is how they can sell the Iowa program to recruits and coach them once they are here. But about the only way to assess that is to look at their coaching record since that will most accurately reflects their ability to do just that. There are other factors to carrying past success over to the Iowa position but looking at their profile is going to tell you 90% of what they will bring to the table.

If the guy can sell you his plan in a face to face meeting but past record suggests he hasn't been able to carry that plan out consistently than I would have doubts as I hope Barta would.

Latest posts