Just got a text from the coaching community

Dickie Vitale was just on Garman and Cotler's show, he recommened Lavin and said he would be interested(I think I remember this about week ago),at that point I was uninterested. But that's when I had some unrealistic pipe dreams. I could sign up for Lavin right now. IS he uptembo????

Jon, has there been any feel on whether or not Lavin is interested? Do you think Barta is interested? Dickie V is well respected and obviously knows his stuff inside and out. This being the second time asked also. The plug is in the wall Barta has got to hear the serge from the socket.

If these are seriously the names of the coaches Iowa is looking at we are in SERIOUS trouble... I hope it comes back and makes me eat my words but my gut tells me other wise.. i might as well just jump on the bandwagon of another team and just cheer for iowa in all of their other sports...

Really! If he wasn't then why does he still appear on ESPN and on radio shows and ect...
I always thought it was because he was the closest you could possibly get to a live-action puppet. He's a character, nothing more.

PS - Chris Berman is also on the air so that doesn't really equate to respect.

I think you need to take the wow factor stuff and put in in a box and bury it in the yard. If Barta pulls that off, dig it up and kiss it. If not, it's where it should be

There ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT...HAS to be a "wow factor" this HAS to be a "brand name" hire...or Barta is done...D - O - N - E ....done........

God. Just getting home & I missed a firestorm of depressing coach-search rumors. Wojcik seems like he could be OK, just don't know much about him. NBA connection is something positive.

There ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT...HAS to be a "wow factor" this HAS to be a "brand name" hire...or Barta is done...D - O - N - E ....done........

Not one letter of this is true in the slightest. The new coach doesn't need to wow. He needs to win. If he doesn't win, then Barta probably still isn't done.

Can you be our next AD?

I may have to agree with this also... if the names that Jon has listed are true.. my confidence with Barta is all but non existent.

All we really have to do is watch Dayton play Illinois tonight to see how competitive we would be with Brian Gregory as our coach..

I may have to agree with this also... if the names that Jon has listed are true.. my confidence with Barta is all but non existent.

All we really have to do is watch Dayton play Illinois tonight to see how competitive we would be with Brian Gregory as our coach..

So if Dayton wins does that mean you would now be in favor of that hire?

You guys make it seem like there are tons of big name coaches just calling Barta up and asking for the job and Barta is ignoring them. There are lots of very talented coaches that are not well known, so Lickliter didn't work out, that doesn't mean all mid major coaches will fail here.

So if Dayton wins does that mean you would now be in favor of that hire?

not saying that at all. im just saying watch his style against Big Ten Basketball and see how they hold up.. cause if he would happen to be our coach thats what we get to look at for however long it lasts..

I disagree with what Ghost said about the new coach not needing to sell the program to some message board people...the new coach HAS to sell this program to the fans...because right now the majority don't have ANY faith in it...(look at the attendance from last couple of years.)

I disagree with what Ghost said about the new coach not needing to sell the program to some message board people...the new coach HAS to sell this program to the fans...because right now the majority don't have ANY faith in it...(look at the attendance from last couple of years.)

Message board guys are a very small subset in the larger group of fans. Message board guys are not even all of the guys on a message board.

Fans are people who like the team. Message board guy is the one who is obsessed with it, to the point where he gets so emotionally involved with the team that he no longer lets reason guide his ffelings towards the team, or the sport in general. Message board guy thinks he knows everything about the team, when in fact he knows very little. He is awash in a tide of rumor, misinformation, and hope/dispair which clouds him from reality.

Coaches, along with pretty much any other intelligent person, don't waste their time trying to get these people on board.

I'm with Ghost here. I don't care what this guys name is or what his resume looks like. A big name with great experience would be awesome, but may not be possible. Even if it was possible who is to say that they would continue that success here? I do agree that Barta's future may rest with the basketball program. But I'm just gonna wait for the announcement and expect it's someone I've never heard of before. That's not going to curb my enthusiasm in the least though. I'm sure Barta knows his job will be in jeopardy if there's another coaching search in a few years and he will be hiring a coach who is hungry.

In the end I just want the new coach to be the right fit...we all have our preferences.

He has to be a basketball junkie who can teach, recruit and be passionate about rebuilding our program.

Latest posts