Just a rant

No. The guy had been bashing those of us that have been wanting things to be improved on all while trying to be on both sides of the fence himself. If you'd been keeping up with all he'd been spouting you'd notice his flip flopping on it. I'm over it I'm done even conversing with him on it.
I’ve not been bashing anyone and I’ve not flip flopped on anything. The thing you pointed out, was not correct. I’m not satisfied with Iowa football. I want them to win more. I said they’re a long ways from mediocre. What don’t you get about what I am saying? I’m not trying to be a dick here, somehow we’re not communicating on a level that is getting our points across. I feel I’ve been very steady on where I stand with Iowa football and I welcome you to point to anything different

That's the thing. They really haven't beat many good teams since Brian became OC. I agree that Iowa has produced pretty nice results overall, but like OK4P points out, it is sort of skewed.

You didn't like when we looked at the record against ranked teams using end of season rank. How about this instead?

Since Brian became OC in 2017, Iowa is 4-16 against teams with 9 wins or more after the bowl season. 4-16. (For the 2020 season, I used 6 wins as the cutoff).

Dig deeper, and 3 of those 4 wins are against Minnesota. Neither here nor there. Just saying.

So since Brian became OC, Iowa has one win against a 9 win team NOT named Minnesota. While losing 16 of those games. The 2017 Ohio State game, when Iowa was loaded with offensive talent, remains the exception.

I think that explains some of the angst and absolute lack of entertainment value from this team in recent years.
Why is it that you and others who make this argument don’t recognize that in the BT football conference, every team recruits and provides full scholarships to superior athletes, whereby thousands of high school players with aspirations for college success on the field never see the big dance.

“I simply cannot understand your way of thinking” is the truest post I have seen from you. Congrats!
I feel like if he can’t understand my side of things, he might not be able to look at things objectively … I dunno. I see his side of things, but I’ve given him some rebuttals like, for example, not hanging the staff for being good at bowl preparation and acting like that’s a bad thing? Or, for another example, why Iowa would schedule a harder non con in the current landscape of college football. Even when pointing out that the SEC only plays 9 and that’s something that helps their conference perception greatly, he ignores it and says “no one cares”.

Nothing will change as long as the elite boosters (and some folks on this forum) are satisfied with three wins against MAC/MWC/FCS schools in non-conference play and four wins against the bottom of the B10 and a trip to the Music City bowl.
Well...

1) last year was our first trip to the Music City Bowl ever. Recently we have gone to higher bowls in the pecking order like the Capital One, Outback and Holiday.

2) the last non covid year where Iowa won seven or fewer games was 2014-a long time ago.

3) We have won more than four conference games five years running. Two of them (Minnesota in 2019 and Penn state in 2021) were against teams ranked in the top ten at the time and not always bottom feeders.

4) Just because some posters don't demand change from one possession to the next (and there's enough evidence of it in the game threads) doesn't mean they're satisfied. They're just being the adult in the room when following their local college team.

You are so far out there in terms of philosophy, I simply cannot understand your way of thinking. One of my biggest pet peeves is thinking a team is good simply based on their record. I’ve seen 8-4 teams that would dismantle an 11-1 team. You simply have to look at who you beat..not how many. People that played the game fully realize that fact. Iowa’s biggest failures on the big stage happened when they were paper tigers with great records…because they didn’t play anybody. And they’ve had phenomenal teams that went 8-4 & played the bowl game way beyond the record.

Quit trying to schedule yourself to thinking you have a good team. Instead, actually be a good team by actually being good & proving it by beating someone
You sound like someone who wishes he had a new team. That’d probably be better for you anyway to be honest

Well...

1) last year was our first trip to the Music City Bowl ever. Recently we have gone to higher bowls in the pecking order like the Capital One, Outback and Holiday.

2) the last non covid year where Iowa won seven or fewer games was 2014-a long time ago.

3) We have won more than four conference games five years running. Two of them (Minnesota in 2019 and Penn state in 2021) were against teams ranked in the top ten at the time and not always bottom feeders.

4) Just because some posters don't demand change from one possession to the next (and there's enough evidence of it in the game threads) doesn't mean they're satisfied. They're just being the adult in the room when following their local college team.
Straight fire my man!

That’s Football. For 99% of every team. Only one team wins it all. Most teams are losers. The teams doing better then us? They’re all complaining about something and unhappy and want people fired yesterday for not having better results. It’s what makes the game great. Notre Dame has been pretty good as of late, but they’ve struggled in big games against tougher opponents, think their fans are happy? I bet not.
Don't misunderstand. I'm not disagreeing with your perspective. I personally don't see Iowa as a mediocre program. In fact, the only time that I was ready to pick up a torch and pitchfork was at the end of 2007. Somehow, someway, Kirk always seems to pull a rabbit out of his hat just when the fans have given up all hope.

Just pointing out that we tend to be a program that regularly experiences more than our fair share of extreme head-scratchers - both with wins and losses. All programs experience that occasionally, but with the Hawks it's seemingly an annual occurrence.

That’s because that was a horrible metric. I’d be willing to go out on a limb with very little knowledge or insight on your stat and point it back to ya. How are most teams records against teams that won 9 games or more? I would say most teams don’t have good records against 9 win teams. It’s weird, when good teams play good teams, they often lose. I know it’s a really hard concept
But Iowa isn't most teams. To your point, Iowa has been averaging 9 wins under BF as OC! So they are a 9 win team. Do most 9 win teams have a .200% winning percentage against other 9 win teams? No part of you finds that interesting?

But Iowa isn't most teams. To your point, Iowa has been averaging 9 wins under BF as OC! So they are a 9 win team. Do most 9 win teams have a .200% winning percentage against other 9 win teams? No part of you finds that interesting?
No, I’m saying everyone likely has a terrible record against 9+ win teams…because those teams didn’t lose very many games that season. I would imagine almost every program has terrible #’s against 9 win teams. I don’t even really need to look it up.

Like ya hear what I’m saying? I’m not trying to be a dick, but think about it. You do the leg work, but you’re going to find out that most coaches (programs) have losing records against teams with 9+ wins, some much much worse then Iowa. Yes, you will likely find those 12 or so schools Fryowa listed who have who’ve been better and won more games than Iowa (Georgia, OSU, Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Cincy, Michigan, Oregon, Oklahoma, Utah, Penn State) … might be a couple of other outliers, but I doubt many…. you aren’t going to find many programs with a higher win percentage then that against 9+ win teams. Please prove me wrong if ya can. Give me some programs in the last 5 years with better then .200 not the schools above.

Last edited:
Like ya hear what I’m saying? I’m not trying to be a dick, but think about it. You do the leg work, but you’re going to find out that most coaches (programs) have losing records against teams with 9+ wins, some much much worse then Iowa. Yes, you will likely find those 12 or so schools Fryowa listed who have who’ve been better and won more games than Iowa (Georgia, OSU, Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Cincy, Michigan, Oregon, Oklahoma, Utah, Penn State) … might be a couple of other outliers, but I doubt many…. you aren’t going to find many programs with a higher win percentage then that against 9+ win teams. Please prove me wrong if ya can. Give me some programs in the last 5 years with better then .200 not the schools above.
I hear you, and I'm guessing Iowa's winning percentage of .200 against 9 win teams is way closer to that of say Minnesota, then it is to say Wisconsin or Michigan State. But I haven't done the leg work. I do see even Northwestern has more wins (5) during that time than Iowa, and they've had some horrific years in there.

I hear you, and I'm guessing Iowa's winning percentage of .200 against 9 win teams is way closer to that of say Minnesota, then it is to say Wisconsin or Michigan State. But I haven't done the leg work. I do see even Northwestern has more wins (5) during that time than Iowa, and they've had some horrific years in there.
Ya better double check that math on NW cause that is a false stat.

NW by a quick look is 3-21 against 9 win teams since 2018. 2 of those wins came against 6 win teams during the covid year, so if you want to just look at 9 win teams, those 2 wouldn't even count, so I am trying to inflate the #'s in your favor.

If you think 3-21 is a bad record against 9 win teams, you should see Northwestern's record against teams that have won LESS than 9 games.

You are so far out there in terms of philosophy, I simply cannot understand your way of thinking. One of my biggest pet peeves is thinking a team is good simply based on their record. I’ve seen 8-4 teams that would dismantle an 11-1 team. You simply have to look at who you beat..not how many. People that played the game fully realize that fact. Iowa’s biggest failures on the big stage happened when they were paper tigers with great records…because they didn’t play anybody. And they’ve had phenomenal teams that went 8-4 & played the bowl game way beyond the record.

Quit trying to schedule yourself to thinking you have a good team. Instead, actually be a good team by actually being good & proving it by beating someone
Ding ding.... We have some common sense enter the chat. Winning against soft schedules isn't something to overtly be puffing ones chest out for. The last two sentences you wrote I think many coaches try to get away with.

Granted you can only beat who you play and conference play is what it is. But the non con part is what I've been ranting about and for lame nostalgic reasons many want to keep playing ISU and 2 cupcakes. That's gotta change going forward and thankfully it will.

Ding ding.... We have some common sense enter the chat. Winning against soft schedules isn't something to overtly be puffing ones chest out for. The last two sentences you wrote I think many coaches try to get away with.

Granted you can only beat who you play and conference play is what it is. But the non con part is what I've been ranting about and for lame nostalgic reasons many want to keep playing ISU and 2 cupcakes. That's gotta change going forward and thankfully it will.
You and Oldhawk - 2 peas in a pod

Ya better double check that math on NW cause that is a false stat.

NW by a quick look is 3-21 against 9 win teams since 2018. 2 of those wins came against 6 win teams during the covid year, so if you want to just look at 9 win teams, those 2 wouldn't even count, so I am trying to inflate the #'s in your favor.

If you think 3-21 is a bad record against 9 win teams, you should see Northwestern's record against teams that have won LESS than 9 games.
I said even Northwestern has more wins (5) in that category in the BF as OC stretch than Iowa. I think that's accurate. I'm not arguing about Northwestern being better in that stretch, or even anything about Northwestern at all.

I'm pointing out that Iowa has a really bad record against ranked teams and 9 win teams since 2017. I think most assume Iowa would be around .350 to .500 in that stretch, but they aren't. They are .200.

I think this would be interesting to look at. What was Iowa's record against teams that ended the season ranked/9 win teams from 2000 to 2016? I bet the winning percentage was well above .200.

I like your takes and I think we generally agree on this point (which is what I'm trying to suggest above) - that Iowa has actually won games at a higher clip with Brian as coordinator than they did from 2000 to 2016. Amazing consistency in a lot of ways. Yet at the same time, I think there is some data to suggest that they have a worse winning percentage against good teams in that stretch than before 2017. I think that's interesting.

I said even Northwestern has more wins (5) in that category in the BF as OC stretch than Iowa. I think that's accurate. I'm not arguing about Northwestern being better in that stretch, or even anything about Northwestern at all.

I'm pointing out that Iowa has a really bad record against ranked teams and 9 win teams since 2017. I think most assume Iowa would be around .350 to .500 in that stretch, but they aren't. They are .200.

I think this would be interesting to look at. What was Iowa's record against teams that ended the season ranked/9 win teams from 2000 to 2016? I bet the winning percentage was well above .200.

I like your takes and I think we generally agree on this point (which is what I'm trying to suggest above) - that Iowa has actually won games at a higher clip with Brian as coordinator than they did from 2000 to 2016. Amazing consistency in a lot of ways. Yet at the same time, I think there is some data to suggest that they have a worse winning percentage against good teams in that stretch than before 2017. I think that's interesting.
We're just kind of constantly moving the goal post to make the #'s look better. 2 of NW wins were against 6 win teams the Covid year that I still counted. Iowa didn't get the luxury to play any 6 win teams that season because of cancellations, but I am guessing they were poised to win them. NW does not have a better win percentage then Iowa against 9 win teams. I bet even the top 5 programs have losing records against 9 win teams. I'd be shocked if Franklin is above .500. So, you are hanging Iowa for something we're not willing to hang other programs for. 9 win teams only lose 3 games a year. I just want you to back up your stat. Give me the programs that are better than Iowa since 2018 against 9 win teams. I know which ones they are, but I'd you to tell me.

We're just kind of constantly moving the goal post to make the #'s look better. 2 of NW wins were against 6 win teams the Covid year that I still counted. Iowa didn't get the luxury to play any 6 win teams that season because of cancellations, but I am guessing they were poised to win them. NW does not have a better win percentage then Iowa against 9 win teams. I bet even the top 5 programs have losing records against 9 win teams. I'd be shocked if Franklin is above .500. So, you are hanging Iowa for something we're not willing to hang other programs for. 9 win teams only lose 3 games a year. I just want you to back up your stat. Give me the programs that are better than Iowa since 2018 against 9 win teams. I know which ones they are, but I'd you to tell me.
I'm not arguing about Northwestern. How do Wisconsin, Michigan State and Minnesota compare? Would you guess Iowa is closer to Minnesota, or the first two? I really don't know.

I guess I could flip it back to you. You said Iowa has beat plenty of good teams. But do you think winning only 1 out of every 5 games against 9 win or better teams backs up that statement?

It's a big pod. There's a whole lot of others that feel the same way. I know of several myself.
it's a smaller pod then you think when you look at stadium being sold out, our record the last 5 seasons and how many players Iowa is putting into the NFL. Most Iowa fans are pretty proud of Iowa football.

I'm not arguing about Northwestern. How do Wisconsin, Michigan State and Minnesota compare? Would you guess Iowa is closer to Minnesota, or the first two? I really don't know.

I guess I could flip it back to you. You said Iowa has beat plenty of good teams. But do you think winning only 1 out of every 5 games against 9 win or better teams backs up that statement?
Good teams = winning teams, 9 + win teams lose less then 3 games a season. No one has a good record against those teams otherwise they wouldn't have 9+ wins. I don't understand what I am not conveying here.

Last edited:

Latest posts