Just a rant

Hawkfnntn

I wish KF would lie to us instead of saying some of what he did. He seemed oblivious to just how embarrassingly bad that game was. I get he's gotta downplay it. Trying to say it's just 1 bad game yadda yadda... Well sorry it's been like 3 yrs of some really bad games and play by this offense. Last night was just the culmination of it all. It just so happened to be the all time worst of performances on a big stage. BF has long worn out his benefit of the doubt. Rick Neuheiel said it best at halftime I thought about how this isn't a one off.

Game plans have to be able to adapt in game when some things you try to do aren't working. When teams start bringing pressure over and over you gotta have some quick hitter plays and all we ever tried to do were middle screens that we couldn't seem to convert on at all. They were pressing WRs and daring us to throw any 50/50 balls downfield. I don't remember any of those being attempted.

Is PSU that good? Just how good are they? I hope they really are a top 5 team or did we just help them look that way? The other thing is after a demoralizing game like that can Iowa recover to play to whatever level they are capable of? How do we even know what that is anyway? A lot of folks me included before the yr thought we have a chance to run the table minus maybe Wisconsin the rest of the way. But heck if I know now if that's possible either.

If your offense is that bad then you can lose to anyone that's all I know.

I wish KF would lie to us instead of saying some of what he did. He seemed oblivious to just how embarrassingly bad that game was. I get he's gotta downplay it. Trying to say it's just 1 bad game yadda yadda... Well sorry it's been like 3 yrs of some really bad games and play by this offense. Last night was just the culmination of it all. It just so happened to be the all time worst of performances on a big stage. BF has long worn out his benefit of the doubt. Rick Neuheiel said it best at halftime I thought about how this isn't a one off.

Game plans have to be able to adapt in game when some things you try to do aren't working. When teams start bringing pressure over and over you gotta have some quick hitter plays and all we ever tried to do were middle screens that we couldn't seem to convert on at all. They were pressing WRs and daring us to throw any 50/50 balls downfield. I don't remember any of those being attempted.

Is PSU that good? Just how good are they? I hope they really are a top 5 team or did we just help them look that way? The other thing is after a demoralizing game like that can Iowa recover to play to whatever level they are capable of? How do we even know what that is anyway? A lot of folks me included before the yr thought we have a chance to run the table minus maybe Wisconsin the rest of the way. But heck if I know now if that's possible either.

If your offense is that bad then you can lose to anyone that's all I know.

I have commented on this in the past. What Iowa's problem is, is that they are only built and able to do one thing. Iowa doesn't seem to have a plan B and really struggles when the run game isn't going and the front line isn't effective. They just don't have a good backup plan for this system and scheme. There is no shifting gears or moving the goal posts with this staff and team. They just keep doing the same thing with hope.

Iowa used to be able to overpower and wear out teams over the course of a game. Not the case anymore and they don't have any wiggle room to adjust it seems.

Last edited:
I have commented on this in the past. What Iowa's problem is, is that they are only built and able to to one thing. Iowa doesn't seem to have a plan B and really struggles when the run game isn't going and the front line isn't effective. They just don't have a good backup plan for this system and scheme. There is not shifting gears or moving the goal posts with this staff and team. They just keep doing the same thing with hope.

Iowa used to be able to overpower and wear out teams over the course of a game. Not the case anymore and they don't have any wiggle room to adjust it seems.
Exactly. When what you do isn't working and you get down by multiple possessions you don't have time to run any kind of conservative ball control offense anymore. That only works if the game is close or you're ahead. But time and score means nothing to BF he calls same types of plays with the same lack of urgency regardless of the score or game situations and it's infuriating.

Exactly. When what you do isn't working and you get down by multiple possessions you don't have time to run any kind of conservative ball control offense anymore. That only works if the game is close or you're ahead. But time and score means nothing to BF he calls same types of plays with the same lack of urgency regardless of the score or game situations and it's infuriating.

I don't think Iowa once went deep to stretch the field yesterday. Prob just because they couldn't to be fair. But, not having the speed on the outside and not having the front being able to pass protect falls on the coaches.

Nothing will change as long as the elite boosters (and some folks on this forum) are satisfied with three wins against MAC/MWC/FCS schools in non-conference play and four wins against the bottom of the B10 and a trip to the Music City bowl.

Nothing will change as long as the elite boosters (and some folks on this forum) are satisfied with three wins against MAC/MWC/FCS schools in non-conference play and four wins against the bottom of the B10 and a trip to the Music City bowl.
Iowa is never going to schedule a harder non con, especially since no one else is either. The West is gone at the end of this year, so we'll see how they stack up against a tougher schedule. I am guessing not great. 8+ wins at Iowa is always going to be acceptable. If you are not satisfied with 8 wins at Iowa and the fact that they've been winning 70% of their games since 2018, then I don't know that you would be satisfied right? That's a pretty high bar.

Iowa has been getting their doors blown off by CFB elite when they get the opportunity to face them. That's an issue. The only way that changes is with a change at HC and IMO, that's scary. I think they do much worse with a new HC.

Iowa is never going to schedule a harder non con, especially since no one else is either. The West is gone at the end of this year, so we'll see how they stack up against a tougher schedule. I am guessing not great. 8+ wins at Iowa is always going to be acceptable. If you are not satisfied with 8 wins at Iowa and the fact that they've been winning 70% of their games since 2018, then I don't know that you would be satisfied right? That's a pretty high bar.

Iowa has been getting their doors blown off by CFB elite when they get the opportunity to face them. That's an issue. The only way that changes is with a change at HC and IMO, that's scary. I think they do much worse with a new HC.
This program probably drops from a 9-7 win program......to a 5-8 win program moving forward.

This program probably drops from a 9-7 win program......to a 5-8 win program moving forward.
Yeah, I'm with you. I think Iowa football is headed for some really hard times in front of it, why I am trying to enjoy what I can. Like, if people think this is bad, just wait until we get rid of our HOF coach.

I don't know why they don't roll the quarterback out more.....like 2004. Maybe because of Cade's injuries and the backups don't cut the mustard? Iowa's best play (next to the All catch of 20 yards) was when Cade rolled out for the naked boot...as slow as he was running.

Since no one else is either? False. In simply looking at this year alone:

Wisconsin @ Wazzu
NW @ duke
Minn @ n Carolina
Illini @ kansas & perennial champ toledo
Nebraska @ colorado
Purdue v fresno & syracuse

On top of that, Iowa misses ohio st & Michigan consistently. Under ferentz, it’s a ridiculously soft schedule annually than peers

So that gets to the 8-win argument that is highly overstated annually. Followed by a b10 arrangement for a bowl where kirk has 6 weeks to prepare for & they normally play above their level because of it

The woe is me attitude of “he’s the best we could ever get” is a completely losing argument. You don’t go through life this way. It’s really bad for your health

Wisconsin @ Wazzu
NW @ duke
Minn @ n Carolina
Nebraska @ colorado

On top of that, Iowa misses ohio st & Michigan consistently. Under ferentz, it’s a ridiculously soft schedule annually than peers

So that gets to the 8-win argument that is highly overstated annually. Followed by a b10 arrangement for a bowl where kirk has 6 weeks to prepare for & they normally play above their level because of it

The woe is me attitude of “he’s the best we could ever get” is a completely losing argument. You don’t go through life this way. It’s really bad for your health
DId you miss where Iowa went on the road to a Big 12 opponent or what?

Iowa is playing 10 Power 5 teams a year, that's 2 more than 90% of the SEC. Why in god's green earth would Iowa make it a harder road to the playoffs?

Iowa hasn't always won at 8 games or better, we always wanted them to right? Iowa fans used to say 7 games isn't much to talk about, but it'd be great if they could raise the bar a little. They did, so now they are a victim of their own success.

My man, they haven't been dodging Michigan or TOSU, especially recently - they sure as heck didn't dodge PSU who has been consistently one of the top teams in the country. When they add UCLA, OR, WA and USC with no divisions, they aren't going to dodge a damn thing but somehow you think that Iowa should schedule a harder schedule?

And somehow the fact that Iowa gets time off for their bowl games (like every single other team in the nation) is a check mark against our staff.

I am actually laughing as I type this. You are funny.

Wisconsin @ Wazzu
NW @ duke
Minn @ n Carolina
Nebraska @ colorado

Um......................Iowa at Iowa St. Did you just conveniently leave that out? Way to cherry pick. Again, I don't think Kirk sets the BIG conference schedule. It comes down from the conference. Your argument you with the schedule blows.

DId you miss where Iowa went on the road to a Big 12 opponent or what?

Iowa is playing 10 Power 5 teams a year, that's 2 more than 90% of the SEC. Why in god's green earth would Iowa make it a harder road to the playoffs?

Iowa hasn't always won at 8 games or better, we always wanted them to right? Iowa fans used to say 7 games isn't much to talk about, but it'd be great if they could raise the bar a little. They did, so now they are a victim of their own success.

My man, they haven't been dodging Michigan or TOSU, especially recently - they sure as heck didn't dodge PSU who has been consistently one of the top teams in the country. When they add UCLA, OR, WA and USC with no divisions, they aren't going to dodge a damn thing but somehow you think that Iowa should schedule a harder schedule?

And somehow the fact that Iowa gets time off for their bowl games (like every single other team in the nation) is a check mark against our staff.

I am actually laughing as I type this. You are funny.
Lots of people in here who don’t know how good they have it, nor how bad Nebraska has it because they did exactly what’s being suggested on this board.

Lots of people in here who don’t know how good they have it, nor how bad Nebraska has it because they did exactly what’s being suggested on this board.
We're not far from finding out, until then I'm going to enjoy winning this many games. Saturday sucked, but I knew it was coming. I'd hoped for a better showing, the only solace I can take is we have a coach that has a history of rallying the troups.

Players make plays, but the playcaller should be able to scheme a few plays that gain big yards a game. Even our D gets hit with big plays by bad teams, it happens.

Brian Schemed one “big” play the whole game, that bootleg which went for 18, 25% of our production.

He is incompetent. He is bad at his job.

Wisconsin @ Wazzu
NW @ duke
Minn @ n Carolina
Nebraska @ colorado

People had given up on Iowa football before Hayden got here. There was a losers mind set here. Hayden said it himself..Hayden said Iowa fans needed to believe they could win. Hayden saved the program by changing the mindset.

Kirk has done a great job of maintaining the program. Yes, as some have pointed out the obvious that eight to nine win formula is scheduling three weaker programs (including an up and down program like Iowa State) then beat the teams in conference that you should (lower two thirds of the conference). The nine wins plus seasons generally means you either upset one of the top one fourth teams of the conference or they weren’t scheduled (see 2015).

When Kirk leaves it is true that if we don’t peel out the bucks for a name brand coach with a high reputation and NOW buy our players in the NIL, we could fall off into that bottom half of the conference. Adding Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA likely was a death knell for programs like Iowa if they don’t get into the game (meaning what I mentioned above.)

Kirk looked beat up in the press conference after the Penn State game. I felt really bad for him. I was one of the few that supported him when he was hired. Most were boo hooing about Bobby this and Bobby that.

Let’s not kid ourselves, Kirk has done a great job, but hiring Brian as his Offensive Coordinator was a mistake. We are in a mess and Kirk will have to clean up the mess or retire. It is a sad reality and everyone on here knows it.

No. I am not satisfied with the performance of the Iowa program i see on the field the last few years.

Latest posts