Just a rant

Comment 52 on this thread I literally highlighted it when I replied to you you said "I am not satisfied what so ever," You're flip flopping like a politician. So yeah I'm done too you're inconsistent takes are just impossible to take anything away from. Go be happy with the consistency of mediocrity I guess. Some of us won't. You'll just have to live with it that others don't think like you do.
Yeah; I said I’m not satisfied, you can’t show me where I said I was cause I’d never say that because I’m not. Not a single flip flop. Iowa football is no where near mediocre and anyone with an objective view would agree.

Iowa is 12th out of 133 D1 team in winning % over the past 5 years.

Again, this is the schedule. Iowa is a good program, but if the conference said "hey, let's move Indiana to the West and put Iowa in the East" we wouldn't be in the top 12. We also wouldn't be in the top 12 if we had to play a schedule like South Carolina or Arkansas gets stuck with year after year.

I'll do just that for ya...here it is in order of winning percentage, 70% and above. BYU is just after Iowa at 69.6%

Georgia
OSU
Bama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Cincy
Michigan
Oregon
Oklahoma
Utah
Penn State
Iowa

Let's fire the staff like you-know-who did when Pelini was winning ballgames..

YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS. COMPLETE DUMBASSES.
Just gonna sit back and accept these mediocre results

Again, this is the schedule. Iowa is a good program, but if the conference said "hey, let's move Indiana to the West and put Iowa in the East" we wouldn't be in the top 12. We also wouldn't be in the top 12 if we had to play a schedule like South Carolina or Arkansas gets stuck with year after year.
You don’t know that for sure and Iowa has beaten plenty of good teams during this stretch. That is an absolute hypothetical that can’t be proven. Let’s stick with what can be shall we

I'll do just that for ya...here it is in order of winning percentage, 70% and above. BYU is just after Iowa at 69.6%

Georgia
OSU
Bama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Cincy
Michigan
Oregon
Oklahoma
Utah
Penn State
Iowa

Let's fire the staff like you-know-who did when Pelini was winning ballgames..

YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS. COMPLETE DUMBASSES.
Yahoo, Fry!

Also, I do give you a break. You at least acknowledge that Iowa is a good program because they are. I just hate that some people can’t appreciate the good while also being able to see that bad. Do they benefit from schedule? Probably, but it can’t be quantified so it’s hard to tell. I mean, they beat MSU and Kentucky during this time frame who were both upper tier SEC teams.

Comment 52 on this thread I literally highlighted it when I replied to you you said "I am not satisfied what so ever," You're flip flopping like a politician. So yeah I'm done too you're inconsistent takes are just impossible to take anything away from. Go be happy with the consistency of mediocrity I guess. Some of us won't. You'll just have to live with it that others don't think like you do.
So. You maintain that if posters tout Iowa’s success in football, that means we don’t think it’s important to do better? Logic 101. Enroll. Please.

Something about ifs and buts and a merry fucking christmas or something.

So. You maintain that if posters tout Iowa’s success in football, that means we don’t think it’s important to do better? Logic 101. Enroll. Please.
No. The guy had been bashing those of us that have been wanting things to be improved on all while trying to be on both sides of the fence himself. If you'd been keeping up with all he'd been spouting you'd notice his flip flopping on it. I'm over it I'm done even conversing with him on it.

If anything, this thread is at least entertaining. At the end of the day, it boils down to the proverbial, "The enemy of good is better..."

Being an Iowa Hawkeyes football fan is a bit like being on one of those roller coasters that crash into a big puddle at the bottom. We have those highs where we beat Ohio State, Michigan, PSU, LSU, USC, etc., etc., screaming in joy(!) and dishing out high-fives to anyone within reach(!)

.... Only to be brought back to earth when the ride abruptly crashes into the water, splashing us with that painful dose of cold reality, when we lose to some division 1-AA school looking like we don't have a clue about how the game of football works. Then, the final dagger is when the division 1-AA school turns around and gets blown out by Luther College the following weekend.

But we keep coming back for more... We are all truly insane.

Also, I do give you a break. You at least acknowledge that Iowa is a good program because they are. I just hate that some people can’t appreciate the good while also being able to see that bad. Do they benefit from schedule? Probably, but it can’t be quantified so it’s hard to tell. I mean, they beat MSU and Kentucky during this time frame who were both upper tier SEC teams.

To be clear, bowl games since about 3 or 4 years ago are entirely meaningless. Sure, we beat Kentucky, but we also got shit trucked by them when they had Levis playing the year before. And Kentucky is a basketball school that is at best the 4th best football program in their division.

Yeah, I get that we can't quantify the effect that our dogshit schedule has on our performance on the field, but we have some recent experience. Like the last time we went 12-0 we were down 35-0 at halftime against Standford. Remember that game?

Just to be clear I don't want Ferentz fired. Hell, I would even keep Brian if he got relegated to the same roles he had in 2015 with O'Keefe running the QBs and calling plays. Hell, it doesn't even have to be O'Keefe calling the offense, just someone better than Greg Davis and Brian.

Nobody cares dude. I am not the problem with Iowa football, get real. Your replies are kind of like a 10 year old might bring to the table when debating football, you are not great at this.
You are so far out there in terms of philosophy, I simply cannot understand your way of thinking. One of my biggest pet peeves is thinking a team is good simply based on their record. I’ve seen 8-4 teams that would dismantle an 11-1 team. You simply have to look at who you beat..not how many. People that played the game fully realize that fact. Iowa’s biggest failures on the big stage happened when they were paper tigers with great records…because they didn’t play anybody. And they’ve had phenomenal teams that went 8-4 & played the bowl game way beyond the record.

Quit trying to schedule yourself to thinking you have a good team. Instead, actually be a good team by actually being good & proving it by beating someone

To be clear, bowl games since about 3 or 4 years ago are entirely meaningless. Sure, we beat Kentucky, but we also got shit trucked by them when they had Levis playing the year before. And Kentucky is a basketball school that is at best the 4th best football program in their division.

Yeah, I get that we can't quantify the effect that our dogshit schedule has on our performance on the field, but we have some recent experience. Like the last time we went 12-0 we were down 35-0 at halftime against Standford. Remember that game?

Just to be clear I don't want Ferentz fired. Hell, I would even keep Brian if he got relegated to the same roles he had in 2015 with O'Keefe running the QBs and calling plays. Hell, it doesn't even have to be O'Keefe calling the offense, just someone better than Greg Davis and Brian.
I get that line of thinking, they are basically exhibition games, but what else do we have? I remember trucking a USC team full of NFL talent as well. Look, I am not making an argument that Iowa is elite ... no where have I said that, I've said they are far from mediocre and I agree whole heartedly that is likely driven by schedule but that's out of our control. Not a lot we can do but go with the results on the field. I think if any program can go 46-19 in a power 5, it's note worthy. You can only beat the teams on your schedule and I don't care if it's in the Big 12, Big 10, SEC, or the Central Metro League - winning that many games against teams who are in your conference and your peers is good. Not bad. You can't convince me of that and I don't really buy any argument insinuated anything of the like. Winning football is hard at every level.

You don’t know that for sure and Iowa has beaten plenty of good teams during this stretch. That is an absolute hypothetical that can’t be proven. Let’s stick with what can be shall we
That's the thing. They really haven't beat many good teams since Brian became OC. I agree that Iowa has produced pretty nice results overall, but like OK4P points out, it is sort of skewed.

You didn't like when we looked at the record against ranked teams using end of season rank. How about this instead?

Since Brian became OC in 2017, Iowa is 4-16 against teams with 9 wins or more after the bowl season. 4-16. (For the 2020 season, I used 6 wins as the cutoff).

Dig deeper, and 3 of those 4 wins are against Minnesota. Neither here nor there. Just saying.

So since Brian became OC, Iowa has one win against a 9 win team NOT named Minnesota. While losing 16 of those games. The 2017 Ohio State game, when Iowa was loaded with offensive talent, remains the exception.

I think that explains some of the angst and absolute lack of entertainment value from this team in recent years.

That's the thing. They really haven't beat many good teams since Brian became OC. I agree that Iowa has produced pretty nice results overall, but like OK4P points out, it is sort of skewed.

You didn't like when we looked at the record against ranked teams using end of season rank. How about this instead?

Since Brian became OC in 2017, Iowa is 4-16 against teams with 9 wins or more after the bowl season. 4-16. (For the 2020 season, I used 6 wins as the cutoff).

Dig deeper, and 3 of those 4 wins are against Minnesota. Neither here nor there. Just saying.

So since Brian became OC, Iowa has one win against a 9 win team NOT named Minnesota. While losing 16 of those games. The 2017 Ohio State game, when Iowa was loaded with offensive talent, remains the exception.

I think that explains some of the angst and absolute lack of entertainment value from this team in recent years.
That’s because that was a horrible metric. I’d be willing to go out on a limb with very little knowledge or insight on your stat and point it back to ya. How are most teams records against teams that won 9 games or more? I would say most teams don’t have good records against 9 win teams. It’s weird, when good teams play good teams, they often lose. I know it’s a really hard concept

Just gonna sit back and accept these mediocre results
For about the millionth time…winning % is only part of the story. Schedule strength is the other part & in this area, Ferentz falls on his face most years. Extremely rare, it’s a top 15-20 schedule

For about the millionth time…winning % is only part of the story. Schedule strength is the other part & in this area, Ferentz falls on his face most years. Extremely rare, it’s a top 15-20 schedule
Is it the millionth time?

If anything, this thread is at least entertaining. At the end of the day, it boils down to the proverbial, "The enemy of good is better..."

Being an Iowa Hawkeyes football fan is a bit like being on one of those roller coasters that crash into a big puddle at the bottom. We have those highs where we beat Ohio State, Michigan, PSU, LSU, USC, etc., etc., screaming in joy(!) and dishing out high-fives to anyone within reach(!)

.... Only to be brought back to earth when the ride abruptly crashes into the water, splashing us with that painful dose of cold reality, when we lose to some division 1-AA school looking like we don't have a clue about how the game of football works. Then, the final dagger is when the division 1-AA school turns around and gets blown out by Luther College the following weekend.

But we keep coming back for more... We are all truly insane.
That’s Football. For 99% of every team. Only one team wins it all. Most teams are losers. The teams doing better then us? They’re all complaining about something and unhappy and want people fired yesterday for not having better results. It’s what makes the game great. Notre Dame has been pretty good as of late, but they’ve struggled in big games against tougher opponents, think their fans are happy? I bet not.

No. The guy had been bashing those of us that have been wanting things to be improved on all while trying to be on both sides of the fence himself. If you'd been keeping up with all he'd been spouting you'd notice his flip flopping on it. I'm over it I'm done even conversing with him on it.
Respectfully, Hawk, the fence seems to me to be an appropriate position. I, for one, am frustrated with Iowa football, specifically, on the offense side. Do I want them to get better, step up? You bet I do. Do I recognize and remain impressed by the success I have seen under Hayden and KF? Damn right! Post Evy and pre HF & KF this was one of the poorest programs in the country. Perspective is important. You see the fence as a negative, it seems. I see it as a balancing act between heaped on criticism and the other side of the coin. Like Good, I get defensive when a poster piles on the negative view and seemingly ignores the obvious positives. Human nature. Defend the team you love. I also get uncomfortable when posters seem blind to obvious weaknesses. Human nature. Defend unrealistic views. Just some thoughts from a guy who is a huge Hawk Fan from age 7 listening to games on the radio to today’s insane media.

Last edited:
You are so far out there in terms of philosophy, I simply cannot understand your way of thinking. One of my biggest pet peeves is thinking a team is good simply based on their record. I’ve seen 8-4 teams that would dismantle an 11-1 team. You simply have to look at who you beat..not how many. People that played the game fully realize that fact. Iowa’s biggest failures on the big stage happened when they were paper tigers with great records…because they didn’t play anybody. And they’ve had phenomenal teams that went 8-4 & played the bowl game way beyond the record.

Quit trying to schedule yourself to thinking you have a good team. Instead, actually be a good team by actually being good & proving it by beating someone
“I simply cannot understand your way of thinking” is the truest post I have seen from you. Congrats!