Jon Miller's Instant Reaction of ISU

Ferentz won't change, it's over. He came into this job with a bare cupboard and a programmired in irrelevance and he is going to leave it the same way.

This is complete ******** and you should know enough. If you don't, then don't bother posting.

This is complete ******** and you should know enough. If you don't, then don't bother posting.

Ill do whatever I want internet tough guy. But for your information Hayden Fry acknowledged the lack of talent when he left and the first two seasons of the Ferentz era reinforce my point.

I'm assuming Jon is at the game, so he can see the whole field & he is spot on. There offense is incredibly predictable, their QB lacks confidence to be aggressive and also doesn't have the arm strength to make the throws needed. That interception today his longer passing attempt, not even close to on target. He bailed out of pocket when he still had time. The Defense deserves a better performance out of their offensive teammates. I said last weekend, if we score 17 points again next week we will lose, sure enough. With college football today, if your not scoring 27+ points a game, your losing half of them easy. A better passing game will also open the running game. I feel sorry for our WR's, who knows maybe Manley is good enough to play on Sunday, but with the QB we got in now, he may never able to show his talent.

When is the first call from Cy fans to rename Kinnick stadium, "East Jack Trice?"

Ulm, wrong podcast Einstein. If you hate Jon Miller, I'm ok with that. Don't twist the words of truth that he just espoused.

Ill do whatever I want internet tough guy. But for your information Hayden Fry acknowledged the lack of talent when he left and the first two seasons of the Ferentz era reinforce my point.

I'm sure Hayden made that admission right after he was forced out. Whatever, dude. Hayden didn't leave the cupboards bare and KF didn't perform some grand, monumental, program resurrection. KF got here and had to change the type of players on the team to match his philosophy. The program was not bereft of talent. They simply were players that didn't fit KF's style of play. And there's no "internet tough guy about it. Your statement is wrong and shouldn't have been made.

I listened tonight's also. Felt bad. He needs a hug
Ok clown. You won the game. But you are still a clown. Go back to cryfan and tell all your clown buddies how you trolled the hokks and you are the man and cpr is a god and clowns will never lose another game, blah blah blah..............

I'm assuming Jon is at the game, so he can see the whole field & he is spot on. There offense is incredibly predictable, their QB lacks confidence to be aggressive and also doesn't have the arm strength to make the throws needed. That interception today his longer passing attempt, not even close to on target. He bailed out of pocket when he still had time. The Defense deserves a better performance out of their offensive teammates. I said last weekend, if we score 17 points again next week we will lose, sure enough. With college football today, if your not scoring 27+ points a game, your losing half of them easy. A better passing game will also open the running game. I feel sorry for our WR's, who knows maybe Manley is good enough to play on Sunday, but with the QB we got in now, he may never able to show his talent.

I like your post but Manley maybe being good enough to play on Sundays ..Please!

He will be lucky to make it in the Arena League.

Do you know how freaking good you have to be to play in the pros especially at a skill position. Has he even been a first or second team all B1G player?

Next coach in.

It’s only a silly game you say. Means nothing in the universe of life. Nobody a 100 years from now will care. I disagree. What makes life worth living is finding one or two things you’re intensively interested and passionate in. It can be crocheting, traveling, cooking, music etc. Mine has been for 45+ years, is and will be Iowa football. I grew up listening to WHO, graduated from Iowa, have been to every away league stadium and five bowl games. I wear the colors often. I’m proud to be from and to currently live in Iowa. It’s a major hobby of mine. It adds enjoyment to my life. A part of my social lives revolves around it. So, yes, to me, it matters.

After a debacle like today, I often wonder what KF actually thinks about the state of the FB program, and, if he truly believes he has what it takes at this point. He was hand-picked basically out of nowhere to take over for a legend and has done fairly well during his tenure. All the tangible assets are evident: new facilities including practice building, stadium, office; tons of donor money; $3.5 MILLION per year in salary. And for what? A stale, and getting staler, offense, team, attitude, results. Hopeful, yet antsy, home crowds. A wavering fan base. Seeing the bar lowered year after year to what constitutes success.

This year was going to be different. This year featured all those WRs, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] year of a new OC, new attitude, Scherff coming back, stud QB, on and on. Most had us winning the west. Some whispered about a playoff invite. And now this. UNI beat themselves with 15 penalties. Ball State by all rights should have won. And now ISU wins in cozy Kinnick and probably should have won by 10+ points.

Hayden Fry is truly a legend. He had a fantastic run…bringing the Iowa program out of the graveyard into the modern era, re-stoking fires of interest, passion, common unity for tens of thousands for 20 years. He bonded with Iowa, didn’t take no for an answer and brought us back to relevance.

Hayden also knew when it was time to leave. Twenty years of fame and money and prestige and honest-to-goodness admiration is more than most men see in a lifetime. He was blessed. But I’ll say again, Hayden knew when it was time to leave.

KF, be a gentleman, resign after this year, and you'll be revered in the future. Admit that someone younger and hungrier needs to take the reins. To the contrary, hang on to collect the paycheck while the crowds disappear and the program flounders....that will be your legacy. You, the Iowa FB program, the hundreds of thousands of fans and this one guy, a 45-year fan deserve it. Thank you for your service.

Next coach in.

Spot on analysis, Jon; this program is a mess and the problem sits squarely at the top. This team is incredibly fortunate they're not 0-3 right now.

Next coach in.

It’s only a silly game you say. Means nothing in the universe of life. Nobody a 100 years from now will care. I disagree. What makes life worth living is finding one or two things you’re intensively interested and passionate in. It can be crocheting, traveling, cooking, music etc. Mine has been for 45+ years, is and will be Iowa football. I grew up listening to WHO, graduated from Iowa, have been to every away league stadium and five bowl games. I wear the colors often. I’m proud to be from and to currently live in Iowa. It’s a major hobby of mine. It adds enjoyment to my life. A part of my social lives revolves around it. So, yes, to me, it matters.

After a debacle like today, I often wonder what KF actually thinks about the state of the FB program, and, if he truly believes he has what it takes at this point. He was hand-picked basically out of nowhere to take over for a legend and has done fairly well during his tenure. All the tangible assets are evident: new facilities including practice building, stadium, office; tons of donor money; $3.5 MILLION per year in salary. And for what? A stale, and getting staler, offense, team, attitude, results. Hopeful, yet antsy, home crowds. A wavering fan base. Seeing the bar lowered year after year to what constitutes success.

This year was going to be different. This year featured all those WRs, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] year of a new OC, new attitude, Scherff coming back, stud QB, on and on. Most had us winning the west. Some whispered about a playoff invite. And now this. UNI beat themselves with 15 penalties. Ball State by all rights should have won. And now ISU wins in cozy Kinnick and probably should have won by 10+ points.

Hayden Fry is truly a legend. He had a fantastic run…bringing the Iowa program out of the graveyard into the modern era, re-stoking fires of interest, passion, common unity for tens of thousands for 20 years. He bonded with Iowa, didn’t take no for an answer and brought us back to relevance.

Hayden also knew when it was time to leave. Twenty years of fame and money and prestige and honest-to-goodness admiration is more than most men see in a lifetime. He was blessed. But I’ll say again, Hayden knew when it was time to leave.

KF, be a gentleman, resign after this year, and you'll be revered in the future. Admit that someone younger and hungrier needs to take the reins. To the contrary, hang on to collect the paycheck while the crowds disappear and the program flounders....that will be your legacy. You, the Iowa FB program, the hundreds of thousands of fans and this one guy, a 45-year fan deserve it. Thank you for your service.

Next coach in.

Had the honor of spending a little time in Hayden's presence within the last year. There is NO DOUBT in my mind he would STILL inspire a team 100x more than Kirk. Kirk is by most accounts a great guy but doesn't have "it" anymore. Time to move on and use the financial power of the Iowa football machine to get some excitement back before it's too late. Just a lifeless effort out there today.

And don't EVER try to "freeze" the kicker again Kirk. Can only lead to you looking like a fool when he misses and then makes. So, if he had made and missed you would have looked brilliant (maybe until we lost in overtime). But you can't open yourself up to what happened. It's a coin flip and you lost. You don't need any more fan frustration with you, trust me. Better to let it play out and see what happens on the first kick or do it WELL BEFORE they snap.

Great post, Seth53. Just one small correction, though. This is our new OC's 3rd year, you know, the year when we are really supposed to start seeing improvement. Instead, it's just getting worse.

I'm sure Hayden made that admission right after he was forced out. Whatever, dude. Hayden didn't leave the cupboards bare and KF didn't perform some grand, monumental, program resurrection. KF got here and had to change the type of players on the team to match his philosophy. The program was not bereft of talent. They simply were players that didn't fit KF's style of play. And there's no "internet tough guy about it. Your statement is wrong and shouldn't have been made.

Absolutely wrong. Those team's had the worst pool of talent I could remember up to that point. You perhaps are too young to remember the entire Fry time frame. That 1998 team couldn't even muster 1st downs.

I have listened to Jon's podcast three times, and I picked up more things each time.

I've never said this before, but we need a new head coach.

Latest posts