Jon Miller's Instant Reaction of ISU

Xerxes

If you haven't listened, take the time to go to the main page and have a listen. He just nailed it. Best editorial written or spoken from him. No overreact. No nonsense. Just told it how it is on all counts.

When JDM and yours truly are speaking in the same tongue, look out Kurt. You're done.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? F NO!

He's exactly right. The only thing I disagree with is that Kirk Ferentz is not going to go down as a legend at Iowa, as far as I'm concerned. That title should rightly go to Norm Parker. Kirk Ferentz owes every bit of success that he's had as a HC to Norm Parker. On the flip side, Norm Parker has rarely been responsible for the losses.

He's exactly right. The only thing I disagree with is that Kirk Ferentz is not going to go down as a legend at Iowa, as far as I'm concerned. That title should rightly go to Norm Parker. Kirk Ferentz owes every bit of success that he's had as a HC to Norm Parker. On the flip side, Norm Parker has rarely been responsible for the losses.

I agree. What sucks is I think Phil is doing a good job himself.

"you are asking the players to do something they aren't capable of doing ... it's too NFL."

Bingo. We have a winner. These are college kids -- they can't be expected to execute perfectly every play. And when you keep each game as close as possible, that's what you are expecting. A missed field goal ruins the calculus. A targeting call turns the tide in a game. Give me a break.

I dunno, it felt like he was stating the obvious......I wasn't expecting some sort of silver lining nor was I expecting harsh criticism. At this point I just shrug my shoulders.

I am a Steeler fan and a iowa football fan and this is the downside of stability/continuity........the difficulty in making changes when they need to be made.

"you are asking the players to do something they aren't capable of doing ... it's too NFL."

Bingo. We have a winner. These are college kids -- they can't be expected to execute perfectly every play. And when you keep each game as close as possible, that's what you are expecting. A missed field goal ruins the calculus. A targeting call turns the tide in a game. Give me a break.

I'll go a little further. The NFL has fairly equal talent pools that make execution that much more important. There is no such level playing field in College Football. Teams with inferior talent are taking much bigger risks in order to win games. Teams with greater talent beat you unless you execute near flawlessly. And even some of those teams have coaches that push the limits of risk/reward that would give Kirk Ferentz a case of the cold sweats. All of that equals what we have with Kirk Ferentz. .550 winning percentage head coach making an obscene amount of money.

Kirk certainly did some great things, but having a career losing record to ISUcks is going to be a very bitter aftertaste to overcome. I'll be very happy the day they announce he is done.

Ferentz won't change, it's over. He came into this job with a bare cupboard and a programmired in irrelevance and he is going to leave it the same way.

Smith, Hillyer, Willies, KMM, VB.....8 catches. The first 3 are legit threats and they had 4 freaking catches.

I have always been a KF supporter and said the pros out way the cons....while I don't demand him being fired, and truly don't know how much he controls the offense....the pros aren't making up for the cons.

I like Jake, but if he can't get the ball to the "very Good" wrs, that ARE getting open, and is bailing to early, you either better find a running game or go 2 qb system to see what you have.

Jon put it perfectly, if you don't have a solid running game, for whatever reason, and you don't have a dominant defense, you can just play "game management" offense.

Damn it, if the offense weve seen the last 3 weeks doesn't make some serious improvement, I see maybe, Maybe 3 more wins. Clock is ticking, cause the team next week is probably better than the last 3, and after Purdue, they get tougher.

Hey, remember when we were a favorite to win the West.

Disheartened, dissapointed, deflated. Damn.

Kinda makes me scratch my head when I read fools on cryfan saying, "JDM is a homer...." Show me a homer who would say the things this podcast says.

Ferentz won't change, it's over. He came into this job with a bare cupboard and a programmired in irrelevance and he is going to leave it the same way.
I don't even think the cupboard is bare, we just need someone who can play the pieces much more effectively.

i'm tired of hearing about player execution.

game planning and play calling are the coaches' part of players' execution. chris spielmann hit this several times in the game. it's past time for the coaches to execute their part. a kid fumbles twice in a game and is sent to ferentz's doghouse never to be seen again. get out-coached game after game? it's player execution. it's nearly impossible to execute 6 guys blocking 8. it's nearly impossible for that same situation and have a fullback try to stretch outside the tackles.

i'm tired of hearing about boring football. that's not the problem. the problem is predicatable game planning/play calling. i don't care if it's boring as long as it is winning football.

and as good as Iowa's defense usually is, i'm tired of hearing about an opposing player having the best game of their career or season.

worse yet, i'm tired of being mad after games. this was not unexpected.
shrugs shoulders and went outside to mow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts